Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 95 total)
  • what's this about lights being too bright?
  • T666DOM

Human eyes cannot accommodate to a light stimulus, so a single point source could be at any distance. Very white and bright lights will also constrict a drivers pupils limiting their scotopic [low light level] vision.

Also to bear in mind is the more elderly driver with early cataracts who may experience alot of light scatter to further disable their vision.

Bottom line is if you want to cycle with very bright lights don’t point them into drivers eyes.

MrAgreeable

Not read the whole thread but if you’re running a bright front light you want to be very careful when turning right across the flow of traffic (such as at roundabouts) as drivers will only see the x million lumens searing your eyes and not your hand stuck out to signal. This has happened to me when using a Hope Vision 4 up front. I was positioned in the right hand lane but a driver didn’t pick up on this, didn’t clock my hand signal and still pulled out on me.

Really bright rear lights (like the Moon Shield or Hope District) could also be a bad idea for this reason. The worst case scenario is that you get mistaken for a motor vehicle and knocked off because the driver was expecting to see an indicator rather than a hand signal.

T666DOM

I use a Vision 4 on my bars and Vision 2 on my helmet, both pointed down and turned low unless the unlit Yorkshire B roads are traffic free, in which case I crank ’em up!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ok, can anyone suggest any examples of good commuting lights. Part of my commute is on unlit road, and I do a bit of road training on quiet country roads, so I want something that will light my way, as well as something that will make me as safe and visible as possible.

What about the Exposure Flash front light?

Whatever you’ve got, just use it apropriately.

Mine:
    MJ-808 (DX Bastid P7), flashing in daylight pointing dead ahead, continuous at night (dipped towards the ground in town, rotate it up on country lanes, jut remember to dim it if there’s oncoming trafic)

Smart R2 (2x 0.5w rear light), one on the pannier rack, one cable tied to my helmet.

MJ-818 rear light, on the seatpost so it points at the ground, creates a nice pool of red light.

I’d really like an exposure joystick style light with an exposure red-eye on the back for my helemt to replace the R2, but will probbaly settle for a new bar light and relegate the MJ-808 on dim to helmet light duty.

D0NK

Not much of favour to the biker 3 seconds behind you

sorry thought we were discussing personal survival. for road safety as a whole you need to sort out the drivers – they’re the ones running people over.

but ok fair point, as is the strobing stuff, seems obvious once pointed out.

feenster
    Free Member

I’ve got an exposure joystick helmet and lumicycle led3 XPG bar (150 lumen on low), both 2010 model lights.

Keep using those on low settings, angled down and ditch the flash modes?

I like having a flasher though, as I think it says “Bike”, so maybe my cateye £30 job flashing on my bar?

MrAgreeable

Another problem with your all-singing all-dancing 1000-lumen special is that it won’t have any side visibility. It’s a bit worrying to see lights like the new Lezyne range, where they’re sold in the UK as commuting lights but the housing sticks out round the emitter.

Edit: I’ve just had a look at the 2012 ones and they’ve added cutouts to the sides which sort this. So apologies to Lezyne (although their Femto Drive lights still have this problem).

butcher

Feenster. Driver was defo in the wrong – we should all take the time to make sure there is no margin for error before pulling out. But you asked about lights, so I guess you can expect a response about lights…

Some responses are a little harsh though. The trouble is, there’s no clear guidance for cyclists and lighting in this country.

A while back I had a couple of incidents, where a car flashed and tooted me on an unlit road and I can only assume my light was blinding them, yet has nowhere near the power of the kind of lights that are common with MTBers these days. Then not long after, as I was climbing a hill (another unlit road) a car pulled up beside me, wound the window down, and a woman kindly pointed out that my rear light wasn’t bright enough. I stopped further up the road to check and I couldn’t see for a couple of minutes after, so genuinely wondered if she was taking the piss. Though it was just a cheap light.

Because of that, I trawled through the internet looking to see if there was any kind of guidelines or regulations for cyclists and couldn’t find anything at all.

In fact, it puzzles me that most lights are designed to direct a beam, and there is virtually nothing (that I can see, outside of the dynamo market anyway) that creates a nicely bright, but well designed and diffused light to be seen with.

I’ve learnt a bit about lighting since then, like the stuff in this thread, but I’m still non the wiser about what light to choose when it comes to buying products. The fact is, very few of us know what we look like when we’re approaching someone on a dark road in the rain from 100 yards.

When you buy a car, you can assume it’s correct as is. You have 3 modes, and you know exactly which to use and when. Imagine if it wasn’t like this. If cars didn’t come with lights and you had to choose from a huge array of different types. It would be absolute mayhem. Of course, most people would go for the cheapest…little tea lights. Then you’d have boyracers with spotlights everywhere, even pointing out at the sides… It’s difficult to blame cyclists in a world where this guidance doesn’t exist.

Red on the back. White on the font. That’s it.

GrahamS

> the fighter pilot stuff that was mentioned last week

?

Worth reading:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/smidsy-raf-pilots-view

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

the fighter pilot stuff that was mentioned last week

Basicly if you look left, look right, pull out. You only actualy check 2 points on the road, your brain interpolates the rest, if the distance in each direction is empty its quite poisible to miss a vehicle much closer.

A real world test is to look in a mirror, then look away without moving your head, then look back, you never see your eyes moving because untill you’re looking back at them, if you get a friend to do it as well you can clearly see their eyes moving in a jerky movement, similarly watch someone reading a book, their eyes move in jerks accross the page, if your brain interpreted every image it recieved during the moving phase all you’d ever see is a blur.

Fighter piots are trained to look left, a bit less left, a bit less again, a bit right, a bit more right, right. That way they don’t miss anything before an manouver. Drivers aren’t taught this.

D0NK

It’s a bit worrying to see lights like the new Lezyne range, where they’re sold in the UK as commuting lights but the housing sticks out round the emitter.

I noticed that too, plenty of nice looking lights coming out that have zero side on visibility

D0NK

Fighter piots are trained to…./…Drivers aren’t taught this.

yep, one is operating a very fast very dangerous vehicle that can cause untold damage whereas the other is just nipping to the shops in……oh damn!

GrahamS

Another problem with your all-singing all-dancing 1000-lumen special is that it won’t have any side visibility.

That’s why I use:

http://www.lumicycle.com/product/146/glow_halo/halogen-glow-ring.html

The fact is, very few of us know what we look like when we’re approaching someone on a dark road in the rain from 100 yards.

Prop up your bike and walk 100 yards away. Check front, back and side visibility.

Obviously that doesn’t help with any reflectives you wear while on the bike (or any that you accidentally cover while sat there).

For maximum critique, sit on the bike yourself and get your wife to have a look from a distance.

D0NK

For maximum critique, sit on the bike yourself and get your wife to have a look from a distance.

yes even from this distance those bibs look too tight dear
    🙂

trb
    Free Member

surely “pinning” a driver who is waiting to pull out of a side street with a few hundred lumens form a helmet mounted spotlight is a good way to get you seen?

The driver will certainly see you, but the point of reference that you are giving him is 2 feet higher than he’s expecting. Therefore you look a lot farther away than you actually are. Which could be considered a bad thing

elzorillo
    Free Member

Pal I go out with has some fetish for dazzling oncoming cars.. has his hope vision 4 on max and points them straight into the eyes of oncoming cars.. Loads of times we’ve had cars have to slow/stop or put their high beam on. Drives the rest of us mad but he wont do anything about it. Small man syndrome at a guess.

MrAgreeable

I trawled through the internet looking to see if there was any kind of guidelines or regulations for cyclists and couldn’t find anything at all.

The law is there, but as usual it’s an ass.

You need a front lamp. It should be on the centre-line or off side of the vehicle and aligned to and visible from the front. It should be not more than 1500 mm above the ground. It should be white (or yellow if it is incorporated in a headlamp which is capable of emitting only a yellow light). It should be marked with a British Standard Mark namely BS 6102/3 (or its equivalent).

You need a rear lamp which should also be on the centre-line or off side of the vehicle aligned to and visible from the rear. It should also be not more than 1500 mm and not less than 350mm above the ground. It should have an angle of visibility 80O to the left and to the right and it should be red. It should be marked either with the British Standards Institution 3648:1963 or “BS 6102/3”.

You also need a rear reflector complying with the appropriate British Standard Mark between 350mm and 900 mm from the ground. New bikes will invariably be fitted with one: you wouldn’t take it off but it is unlikely to be your main line of defence.

Finally, you need two amber reflectors on each pedal complying with BS6102/2. Once again, you would not necessarily remove these from your pedal. They appear to be the least visible or useful of all lighting devices but if one breaks, as they invariably do, given their position, you should replace it in order to remain within the law.

In addition to the illegality of flashing lights, there are a number of other relevant restrictions:

There is a prohibition on lights which move. So you cannot attach a light (other than a reflector) to pedals or wheels.

No lamp should be used so as to cause undue dazzle or discomfort to any persons using the road. Views will of course differ but the attentions of an enthusiastic policeman may be avoided if the angle of an intense front light is dipped slightly.

I think, based on this, 90% of cyclists after dusk are breaking the law.

http://www.cyclistsdefencefund.org.uk/cycle-lighting

GrahamS

yes even from this distance those bibs look too tight dear

😆 My 2 year old openly mocks me when I put them on.

(I got the bigger ones in the end – they are only ever worn under baggies!)

D0NK

The driver will certainly see you, but the point of reference that you are giving him is 2 feet higher than he’s expecting

well what’s the intention? getting you seen or complying to a long long list of ideal circumstances?* Having a helmet mounted light enables you to target drivers, it can be seen above parked or stationary vehicles you are passing and I think is a very worthwhile addition to commuter setup. (I’m talking low powered ones here not mega lumens) but is probably illegal

*yes both would be nice but is it actually possible?

MrAgreeable

can anyone suggest any examples of good commuting lights

The only ones I’ve come across which have a shaped beam (equivalent to a car with dipped headlights) while still being bright enough for unlit roads are German-made dynamo lights from Busch and Muller, Supernova, etc. I’ve just got a B&M IQ Cyo and the difference in light pattern is astounding compared to my Hope Vision 4. The Hope beam lights up the tops of trees, whereas the B&M has a very definite cut-off (more or less where a driver’s eye level is). The B&M also puts out a lot more light to the side.

The Exposure Strada should theoretically be similar, but I’ve heard that the dip function doesn’t actually direct the beam downwards, it just shuts off one of the emitters.

You can compare a load of different lights’ beam patterns side by side here:

http://road.cc/content/news/69237-big-roadcc-lights-test-2012

The Cyo looks crap compared to the Strada but that’s partly to do with it shining the light down at the road rather than spreading it everywhere.

imnotverygood

The problem with this thread is that it is possible criticize almost any bike light setup.

Use a traditionlal single (Ever Ready) light: too dim
    Use two lights horizontally on the bars: Could be mistaken for a car at a greater distance.
    Single bright light: Could be a motorbike.
    Helmet light: You might blind driver when you look at them, Driver may not be looking for a light 5 feet in the air.
    A bar light and a helmet light: Driver may not make a connection between two vertical lights and misinterpret what they see.
    Flashing light: Driver may not be able to judge the distance.

etc etc. You come out with a setup and I can probably come up with an excuse as to why there is a problem.
    The bottom line is that at night you need to make yourself visible. Everyone else is required to act with due care when they see the light. If you see a light on the road, you have to ensure that you are aware of what it is before you commit yourself to an action.
    I accept that you have to be sensible and not deliberately blind people and that there are light set ups which are irresponsible. (I was once on an mtb ride where half a dozen of us went to cross a road. Despite me warning them, everyone else duly stared up the road with their helmet lights on. This resulted in all the traffic on a busy rush hour dual carriageway stopping to let us cross. I was mortified)
    However the fact remains that the reason that people engage in this lumen based arms race is that drivers do not exercise due care. I would happily ride with a gloworm attached to the bars as long as I could be sure that people would look for it. As it is I use a flashing bar light and a fixed head torch. It ain’t perfect but then what is?

Lifer
    Free Member

I have a DX style light I got from MTB Batteries as my main front light (hi-mid-low-strobe-off, usually have it on low) Blackburn something as the main rear, some Leyzene Femto as backups front and back and these which I’ve found cut down the number of close passes I get in the dark*

Indicator thing is pretty useless though.

What I really want is a TRON style skin suit to wear.

*not my bike before I get abuse for the number of spacers

FuzzyWuzzy

I have a Strada and it’s pretty good, just about bright enough for fast road training on unlit country roads but the beam is well-designed so doesn’t throw light everywhere. The ‘dip’ switch does indeed just turn off one of the LEDs but it is pretty effective (although with thick winter gloves on I occasionally accidentally turn off the light completely, makes downhills exciting if you were actually trying to turn it to max).

Dickyboy

Basicly if you look left, look right, pull out. You only actualy check 2 points on the road, your brain interpolates the rest, if the distance in each direction is empty its quite poisible to miss a vehicle much closer.

My two worst accidents were caused this way, once in a car & once on a bike – the other drivers looked right & left & just drove straight into what was directly ahead of them.. me 🙁

I use a Blackburn x8 for commuting, the two lights have different focus & about three different levels of dip, don’t know if they are still available though.

ransos
    Free Member

The lighting lumens race is a PITA. I use a cycle path on my commute, and cyclists approaching from the other direction with torches on max power make it impossible to see pedestrians using the path.

As is often the case, the Germans have it right – their lights (like the B&M referred to above) are properly designed to light up the road, not blind motorists.

winston
    Free Member

I use a Hope vision one on fixed beam and alter the brightness to fit the conditions – I honestly don’t think you need anything brighter AS LONG as you also wear a hi-vis top and have reflective stuff on your shoes, tyres and if you wear a helmet, on that. Tend to have two rear lights in case one fails, one on flash and one on steady. Nothing says bike to a motorist like hi-vis and reflectors

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

There really is a complete lack of battery powered lights, bright enough for riding at speed on an unlit road that don’t dazzle drivers.

Further to the Exposure Strada (which uses a horizontal diffuser rather than a shaped beam) i’ve found these two

TreLock 950 LS (apparently the bracket isn’t great).
    http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/a38142/ls-950-control-ion-front-light.html?lg=en&cr=GBP&cn=gb
    http://road.cc/content/review/47688-trelock-ls-950-ecopower-control-front-light

Philips Saferide 80 Lux
    http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/a39159/bike-light-led-80-lux-black.html?lg=en&cr=GBP&cn=gb

Neither of them are that bright either.

I use a Maxx-D pointed a few feet in front of the bike. Maybe Use should just make a clip on ‘hood’ for the top, as they already make the Beacon diffuser thing that clips on.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

You can also get this for DX/magicshine lights, which works like the Exposure Strada lens
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wide-Angle-Lens-4-MagicShine-Gemini-Lupine-Bike-Light-/280752532003

scaredypants

etc etc. You come out with a setup and I can probably come up with an excuse as to why there is a problem.

Wear a very bright reflective top and shine a moderate light or two onto yourself, then you’ll instantly look like a person on a bike. WHen I start commuting on a bike that’ll be me, no question.

go on then

IHN

should just make a clip on ‘hood’ for the top

I’ve been thinking of fashioning something like this using a piece of Coke can and a ziptie/elastic band/piece of inner tube…

brakes
    Free Member

the biggest problem with visibility that I encounter is that the majority of my commute is against the backdrop of thousands of cars, motorbikes, buses, vans, lorries, shop fronts, street signs, advertising, street lights and a million other sources of light.
    being seen amongst this lot is a challenge – in some cases, your silhouette is more visible than your light source…
    for that reason, a bright flashing light can be seen/ recognised against other sources of light.

MrAgreeable

shine a moderate light or two onto yourself

Having a constant light pointing upwards at my face would drive me nuts, particularly on any unlit sections of road or cycle path. I tried using an Exposure Spark with a diffuser on the front and even though there was only a tiny bit of light escaping upwards, it was really irritating.

MrAgreeable

Glitchy bump post.

MrAgreeable

x2

D0NK

Having a constant light pointing upwards at my face would drive me nuts,

you need to fit some downlighters on your helmet.

Illuminating the rider sounds a good idea, how you’d do it effectively and practically I’m not sure

Edric64
    Free Member

I have been told by a driver that an L and M urban 180 was bright enough to dazzle him .I have practically had to stop whilst driving because a couple cycled towards me using stupidly bright lights .Others have made the same comment to me as they know I cycle.

drlex
    Free Member

There really is a complete lack of battery powered lights, bright enough for riding at speed on an unlit road that don’t dazzle drivers.
    […]

Philips Saferide 80 Lux

I take issue with your statement have the Saferide 80 and it’s fine for me at 15-25 mph (not got the hills to test 30+). Only drawback is that at the high power, I get only an hour’s light. As a result, I tend to use a bike with hub dynamo and the Saferide 60 version for winter commuting.

MrAgreeable

Illuminating the rider sounds a good idea, how you’d do it effectively and practically I’m not sure

D0NK

well done you’ve come up with an outfit that makes a mamil look even more of a ****, quite an accomplishment

🙂

more seriously the visijax seems an ok idea but I hate waterproofs and it’s just one item of clothing, maybe some tron style light piping that can be added over other clothes?

Think I’ve seen sam brown belts with a couple of feeble leds on, not great, dunno how well made they are (waterproof/long lasting etc). Any other stuff?

molgrips
    Free Member

I have a Light and Motion urban 300 and it has two orange side lights. However these mostly just light my wrists. I point it at the floor in town.

I use chest mounted small flashers too, white on front and red on back – these help a lot ime.

being seen amongst this lot is a challenge – in some cases, your silhouette is more visible than your light source.

You, sir, would be better off with a shedload of reflective gear on, imo.

Or something like this

http://www.bicyclehero.com/gb/nathan-cyclists-reflective-led-vest-neon-yellow.html

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘what's this about lights being too bright?’ is closed to new replies.