Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • What’s the Taff Trail like for commuting these days?
  • scratch
    Free Member

From the few times I’ve ridden it, it always seemed like extender-lead-central, and I’d do my best to avoid it by cycling through the Corriton R/B and down through North road, I don’t really fancy doing that daily at 7am though.

I need to get from Pontypridd to Ocean way, I’m thinking of riding in 2/3 times a week at a gentle pootle in on the Taff Trail, then extending the ride back through Barry / Vale or out over Newport flats / Caerphilly on the way back.

Any ideas of alternative routes in would be useful but I’d probably verge on slow/safety than car dodging sleepy commuters on busy intersections.

greyspoke
    Free Member

I don’t have to commute from that far, but at rush times the tt is quite busy bike-wise and there are a few kamikaze head-down types who should really be mixing it with the traffic not on a narrow shared-use track.  7 am may be OK.  The pavement/ residential road beside North Road Southbound is legally cycleable most of the way from the paths through the Coryton roundabout.  But you have to take to the bus lane for the final bit and there are some intersection crossings to negotiate.  There are some subways around the  Gabalfa interchange which you could divert onto. Alternative roads through Radyr/Whitchurch or Rhiwbina would be narrow and busy, but possibly not so much at 7 am.  You can dive off the tt at Hailey Park and take residential roads through Llandaff North and the Gabalfa estate if you don’t like the tt.  Not sure how I’d get from Gabalfa to Ocean way.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d try it out – but for alternatives I’d be looking at crossing the river after Taff’s Well, heading through Radyr and then to Llandaff and Cathedral round and go round the back of town.  That’s a reasonably open run but not done it at those times.

ugarizza
    Free Member

TT is pretty nice and best option in my opinion.

I wouldn’t ride a bike from taffs well through Radyr at rush hour, the road is so tight and busy. I see people do it though.

Dog walkers are fine at rush hour times in my experience. It’s a great route to have for commuting.

scratch
    Free Member

Thanks Greyspoke! Hope you’re well.

Yeah, I’ve looked at a few maps, including the new proposed cycle superhighways routes and I’m still struggling to get all the way across….

long term the way in from Radyr may be an option once they get that route developed in from the North West, I’ll have probably moved jobs by then though!

It’s a shared path and should be used as such, I think me getting up 30 mins earlier and plodding in then hacking across from the Castle may be the best way. Leave any real training until the evenings.

With Autumn on the way I hope they’ve given those leaf cleaners a good servicing!

greyspoke
    Free Member

I’m fine, just dawned on me who you is scratch, hope you are well also.  Still using the tt home from the pub on Wednesday nights…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘What’s the Taff Trail like for commuting these days?’ is closed to new replies.