Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Whats the STW mobile phone of choice these days?
  • 40mpg

My Moto G (bought after advice on STW!)has just passed its 2nd anniversary, and strangely the battery has just started playing up. Its also got incredibly slow at everything, but may just need a reset or something.

Anyway, although its been fine, I’ve always been disappointed with the camera. So I’m after something along similar lines that will take better pics, particularly in low light. I’ve had a look at the Galaxy S6 and Iphone SE, but would rather pay a bit less if something acceptable exists.

So, what do you recommend?

Rich_s

There was a recent thread about budget phones – think it recommended a G4?

Anyways, that’s what I’m looking at for the missus.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Yup moto g4. Superb for the money. Got my Mrs one and to be honest I prefer it to my s6 edge plus which costs 4 times as much. It’s fast, decent screen and pure android experience. Only thing that i don’t like is the camera quality in low light.

40mpg

So looking specifically for a better camera in low light, DON’T buy another G4 then. Any suggestions not Moto G4 please? 😀

swanny853

I saw a pretty good review for the new Wileyfox somewhere. Can’t remember the camera quality though, sorry.

Don’t do what I did and buy an xperia M4 aqua. I like it, but Sony skimped on the internal memory and loaded it with bloatware so it fills up very fast (I checked before I bought it- the same amount in the previous phone had been fine unless I wanted to download a monumental app, but the extra space for new android and the bloatware ruined that estimate!)

CraigW
    Free Member

The Moto G4 Plus is supposed to be a better camera than the regular G4.

spawnofyorkshire

The Moto G4 Plus is supposed to be a better camera than the regular G4.

Reviews seem to say that it’s a higher megapixel count but not that much better

rocketman
    Free Member

Accident damaged 5s

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

The Wiley Fox was reviewed by theregister, but user feedback seems to suggest questionable support.

chrisdw
    Free Member

Different G4. The LG G4.
    Brilliant camera.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Still love my galaxy s6 and that was after 8 years of being an apple fanboi from the 2nd incarnation in 2008

nre
    Free Member

Swanny – I’m using an M4 with the adoptable storage option on android 6. Look it up on xda developers. Makes it a whole lot better in terms of memory for apps…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Just researched a lot Inc Chinese unbranded stuff, ended up with a Huawei P9 Lite for £140. 3mb16gb/3ah battery, v happy.

Mark

The STW phone of choice is the iPhone at 32.15% of all sessions.
    Next it’s the Samsung Galaxy S6 at 2.3% of sessions.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

…and the Moto G?

There’s been a lot of news items recently on the software for some of the smaller Chinese brands having backdoors and or collecting data without permission. Actually the last one i read about was programmed to contact 3 adressea, but two of the coded domains were unregistered, meaning if another person/company registered those domains they’d just get your data and probably an easy way to break in to your phone too.

This is all somewhat alarmist, and i doubt other brands are blameless.

Still: Makes You Think™

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Nexus 5x or 6p same android experience and up to date hardware

philtricklebank

Best camera phone could well be the Lumia 950, stunning in low light. £250 currently with a display dock thrown in. You’d have to be happy with Windows 10 mobile. I am, the masses seem not to be.

pnik

I’ve a Nexus 5x which is pretty good, preferred to my old work iphone 6, I’d say the iphone probably has a better camera generally, but this isn’t bad at all.

kimbers

Moto G3 here Id defo buy a G4

wife had a 5s and the G3 was as good if not better at a fraction of the price

dannybgoode

The LG G4 has a good camera. That said if the camera is the overriding factor then the Samsung Galaxy S7 camera is incredible.

It is the first phone when the camera is sufficiently good for me to leave my dslr (Canon 5D mkIII with L series lenses) at home unless I’m going on a proper shoot.

The macro capabilities are particularly impressive as is the focusing speed.

Will post some sample images in a bit.

redstripe
    Free Member

Been using an iPhone se for past few months, like it as it’s quite small and the camera is really good, but then I haven’t really used anything other than apple stuff to compare

cvilla

Also looking, anyone had experience of a Huawei P9 Lite? Seems affordable.
    Thanks
    C

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Whats the STW mobile phone of choice these days?’ is closed to new replies.