Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • What’s the strangest thing you’ve seen sold by vending machine?
  • pistonbroke
    Free Member

We live in S Cataluña and in our village centre there are the usual selection of butchers, bakers and candlestick makers. It is also a centre for honey production and exports all over Europe. The butchers has a machine where you can get sausages and random bits of pig, including ears 24/7, the honey shop has similar and today I noticed that the church has a candle vending machine with a selection of sizes and colours. So anyone suffering from a nocturnal attack of the munchies can have slow cooked pig’s ear in honey, sounds delicious. There is, however, no ciggy machine or condom dispenser hence the healthy number of children around 😏

thomthumb
    Free Member

Tuna Sarnie from a hospital vending machine posted on a mates insta. I think it was in Aus.

Inner tubes at the road side in france.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Used pants. Not kidding! #japan

Pyro

A slightly strange hostel in Galicia had a two-section vending machine: snacks and drinks in the top half; condoms, lube and sex toys in the lower* half.

* I nearly said ‘bottom’ half. Fnaar fnaar…

2tyred

Years ago, a friend posted a photo of a gold bar vending machine in a hotel lobby in Dubai. For all those moments when you suddenly find yourself short of a huge bar of gold and your safety deposit vault is closed.

The Beaufort farmers’ co-op shop in Aime in the Tarantaise valley has a 24/7 Beaufort cheese vending machine outside for those unforeseen Beaufort-less situations outside core working hours. That I can understand.

Edukator
    Free Member

There are some odd ones in stations in France. Glasses and cosmetics for example.

I don’t think there are anymore kids in Spain, Pistonbroke, it’s just that they are outside playing or walking instead of buried deep in an SUV with a video game.

johndoh
    Free Member

Pencil and paper sets on the Metro system in Milan at the weekend. I can’t imagine that many people get such sudden urges to make notes.

stumpy01

I can’t remember the airport, but we’ve been to one with a gold vending machine. Seemed a bit strange.

At uni we had a Pot Noodle vending machine.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

This machine in Villa San Giovanni, Italy, sells a range of condoms and related items.
    A machine in a motorway toilet in Germany sold a “Travel Vagina”. Did think about getting one just to see what it was but I had my mum with me and didn’t fancy a conversation beginning with “What’s that you’ve got there?”

ocrider

Should you forget to buy your Beaufort at the Bourg coop vending machine, you can be rest assured that there’s also one at Moutiers Railway Station!

Not to be upstaged by the mountain folk, you can get oysters from vending machines all along the coastal seafood producing parts of France too.

Daffy

stevemuzzy

This. 🙁

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’ve been on building sites with PPE vending machines with hard hats, hi viz, glasses and gloves available to purchase in the event that people forget to bring their own.

trail_rat
    Free Member

been on rigs with task specific Glove vending machines

nickjb
    Free Member

Not especially strange but I was very impressed with the baguette and croissant vending machines in tiny villages in rural France. Fresh every day as far as I could tell. The vineyards with wine petrol pumps are quite good too.

rOcKeTdOg

i did wonder what they were doing with my old ones

ElShalimo

Inner tube in Austria.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Birdtable in Belgium.

retro83
    Free Member

When I was at uni I had literally no money in my final year and I went to spend my last quid on a can of full fat pepsi to give me a little energy boost to get the last bit of my dissertation done.

Put the money in, can comes out, open it up…there’s a **** watch inside it and no drink. There was no promotion on the outside of the can, or on the machine, it looked completely normal.

mogrim

I was doing an IT project for the Spanish part of a British Bank*, and they had vending machines with beer in the office. There was at least one (Spanish) guy who’d get one out first thing in the morning, then another, etc. etc. all day.

* nameless but rhymes with “starkly”.

stewartc
    Free Member

Cheap Korean Motel, me and the ex managed to find after arriving in Busan rather late in the day, went out to get a coke from a vending machine I saw up the hallway on the way to the room.
    No drinks, just lube, condoms and sex toys, it was a love hotel which kind of explained the receptionists behavior when trying to check in.

Been to Japan many many times, seen all sorts in vending machines but never saw any like this, always presumed it was one of those apocryphal things that appeared in Clive James travel programs but never existing, in Akihabara I guess?

dovebiker

All kinds of odd stuff in Tokyo – walking along the streets and there’s row upon row of vending machines.

iamanobody
    Free Member

prosecco glass and prosecco in northern italy

ads678

Pizza (actual fresh proper pizza) vending machine near my sisters house in the Pyrenees. Also trunks at French swimming pools.

tthew

At technical college we had a fresh chips vending machine. They kind of extruded out of the bottom of a heated aluminium plate into a big paper cup. I assume it was filled with something akin to Smash as the raw ingredient.

They were very thin and not particularly nice.

natrix
    Free Member

we had a Pot Noodle vending machine.

Was it the deluxe model with the complementary boiling water so that you could make your pot noodle on the spot?

pocketrocket
    Free Member

Pulled into a petrol station down in Cornwall to see a maggot vending machine for fishing bait.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Maggots for fishing on the Norfolk Broads

edhornby

I’ve heard it said that the pants in the Japanese vendings are sprayed with a very weak ammonia and have never been near a person

kayak23

Spicy Nik-Naks

BoardinBob

An inflatable vagina from a pub toilet vending machine in Fort William

urbanist
    Free Member

A few in this locality (which has gone from being punky to touristy)
    Syringes (yes, that type).
    Organic eggs.
    Bike inner tubes (everywhere).
    Contact lenses.
    Toothbrushes (in a bar).
    And disco tunes (courtesy of a re-purposed phone booth, complete with lights and mirror ball).

bikebouy
    Free Member

Used pants. Not kidding! #SouthKorea

Mates wind up, and I got into trouble as they’d packed them into a pair of shoes in my suitcase too…

Gitz,,

nickc

Saw them on the subway (also in vending machine) bought some (didn’t fit though)

Theres some weird shit in Japan, used schoolgirl pants (what the box said) wasn’t that high up on the weird list TBH

egb81
    Free Member

Cheese, milk and other dairy products in Slovenia. They didn’t look very appetising in the heart of summer.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve been on building sites with PPE vending machines with hard hats, hi viz, glasses and gloves available to purchase in the event that people forget to bring their own.

Every site I’ve been on has has something akin to the lost property box in the PE changing rooms!

Phil_H

24 hour hot pies

At work Dan the tampon man tried to sell me an inflatable sheep vending machine for the gents loos.

shermer75
    Free Member

Horoscope

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

USB C to HDMI adapter…. Japan recently.

I love their vending machines.

redmist
    Free Member

Beaten to it on the Beaufort cheese machine, although I bought mine from the shop

Rich_s

Saw a report on the beeb once about a gold top unpasteurized milk dispenser. Think it was on a camp site, and for 50p people would wander over with their bowl of Frosties and pour the milk straight on.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘What’s the strangest thing you’ve seen sold by vending machine?’ is closed to new replies.