Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Whats the snow like in Todmorden?
  • the-muffin-man

Our 9yr daughter is due to go on a school trip to an outdoor activities place in Todmorden tomorrow. Now looking at the weather forecast for Thurs and Friday we really aren’t keen on her traveling there and back in heavy snow! (Bloody stupid time of the year for such a trip anyway!).

How bad does the weather get in Todmorden, is it like Buxton that gets always gets cut off!

The school seems to have a very cavalier attitude of “we’re going even if its snowing”.

Mark

I drove past the place she will likely be staying tonight. It is currently foul in a wet sense but no snow on the roads. None forecast until the end of the week either now.

dux
    Free Member

I’m about 5 miles away and nothing but rain so far tonight, on and off. I have never known Tod to get cut off.
    Bloomin cold mind, what activity are they going to be doing?

the-muffin-man

Cheers

She’s there for 3 days and they are doing all sorts – archery, walks, kayaking etc.

It the forecast for Friday that concerns us.

DickBarton

White and wet…may have some patches of yellow…

hora
    Free Member

I can understand your concern. Your call but I’d be prepared to go there and fetch her on Friday as a worse-case but I’d let her go (saying that mine isn’t old enough yet so its hard to put myself in your shoes).

Remember though….its Todmorden not an isolated scientific research station in the artic circle!

pennine
    Free Member

Before the M62, when the high passes were badly snowed up, the best low level routes between Greater Manchester and West Yorkshire were either Todmorden or Ripponden. She’ll be fine.

scaredypants

pack her some warm clothes
    she’ll have more fun if she does get snowed in than if she doesn’t

shreck
    Free Member

I’m in tod there’s no snow we had sleet mostly not its just wet windy and cold.is it robinwood she’s staying at if so she will have a great time I’ve got a few mates that work there. Like you said its a daft time of year to be doing it.

Duggan

I really don’t think you’ve got much to worry about it’s not Norway

Alphabet

No snow when I left this morning. Hopefully the same when I go back this evening.

TooTall
    Free Member

Like you said its a daft time of year to be doing it.

Why? There are 12 months of the year and there is an outside for all of them. Good call to the school for accepting that we have weather and 12 months in the UK and stuff has to happen regardless.

RustySpanner

Rain and hail today. It’s been pretty mild apart from a few flurries higher up earlier in the week.

Blackstone Edge was rough on Monday night though – took the road bike up past the White House and down Cragg Vale, a few hairy moments on the descent.
    Glad I had my waterproofs on, got soaked going past the res 🙂

Was working in Mytholmroyd, but wimped out after my call and got the train home 😀

wingnuts

Doing it in the “weather” often makes the experience that much more intense and ultimately rewarding! Don’t we talk about rides when it was in heavy conditions? Ploughing through the back at those Mountain Mayhem events.

glenh
    Free Member

OMG, won’t anyone think of the children?!?!

They can’t go out of the house where there is weather, ffs!

postierich
    Free Member

Whats the snow like in Todmorden

Probably black as soot!

strowger
    Free Member

I live on the approach road to the activity centre.

Do not understand your concern – would it be the end of the world if they were a little bit late back?

They are very unlikely to be snowed-in. Even during the exceptional weather of last winter, the A-roads locally were passable nearly all of the time. The state of the local roads does not matter as they walk up from the A-road to the castle building anyway.

totalshell

i’d be more concerned that she ll probably go through lancashire to get to Tod.. the locals can be tricky.
    and dont forget no banana whatsits at the morrisons..

pitduck
    Free Member

hora he speaks wisdom 😀

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“(Bloody stupid time of the year for such a trip anyway!).”

So why are you letting her go anyhow?

Todmorden’s a weird place, too many witches for my liking….

blurltrider
    Free Member

It just might be that the”bloody stupid time of year for such a trip” could be the only time there was available space. I work in an outdoor education centre and are so booked up that that some schools have to visit during the dark, cold winter months…and guess what – they still have a great time!

hora
    Free Member

.and guess what – they still have a great time!

When I was in the Cubs then later in the ATC we always went away in foul weather. TBH we were excited and looking for fun and thought it’d be exciting if the weather was foul. Looking back I can remember my Mum looking concerned everytime before I left and on coming back I was treated like I’d just returned from being an Evacuee in WWII :mrgreen:

the-muffin-man

Do not understand your concern – would it be the end of the world if they were a little bit late back?

Not bothered at all about her getting stuck at the centre – I was more concerned that the coach driver would attempt to drive back in hazardous conditions.

“(Bloody stupid time of the year for such a trip anyway!).”

So why are you letting her go anyhow?

That was more of a reference to all the other school/out of school related things kids have on at this time of year. Kids have a busy social calendar in December!! Most of the parents think Jan/Feb would have been better but the Head wouldn’t budge on the date.

And she isn’t wrapped in cotton wool and rides horses, bikes, quad bikes, skateboards, roller blades and has got to be back for Taekwondo grading on Sat morning!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Whats the snow like in Todmorden?’ is closed to new replies.