• This topic has 26 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by awh.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • what's the shortest time/distance on a frame till you broke it?
  • haggis1978

3.22 miles for me. Drove from glasgow to laggan today. Heading round the black and had an OTB incident on a stupidly easy section. Gets up, bike looks ok. Off I go and the back brake is rubbing something awful. First I thought calliper had been knocked out of alignment as it was newly built, might have not quite tightened it enough. Then clocked I had bent the disc mount in the way. Aluminium frame, bought second hand fairly cheap as its an old 06 stumpjumper but it was in superb nick for its age with hardly any marks. Not sure if it’ll bend back ok with it being aluminium and having to be aligned perfectly to the dropout. Gutted. Second time this has happened to me on a maiden voyage. Last time it was a titanium Kona King Kahuna that cracked at the seat tube. Not a happy camper today.

simondbarnes

Approx 10 years when my On-One Ti cross frame cracked last year.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Never broken a frame. ooh, that’s jinxed it!

loddrik
    Free Member

Airborne Lancaster. 3 weeks. Tbf I wasn’t the first owner.

Junkyard
    Free Member

1 mile
    Bunny hop across road works hole and down tube snapped at the BB on landing. Took me a bit to realise the cause of the newly created suspension.

The only bike i have proper broken rather than have to retire due to age/abuse.

jimw
    Free Member

Two laps of Mountain Mayhem and 12 miles on the road so about 30 tops.
    2008 Trek Top Fuel Carbon, The bonded shock mount decided to part company wih the down tube.
    the frame was a brand new warranty replacement….

LoCo
    Free Member

First ride on the shop I was working for at the times spesh epic, demo bike, to be fair the shop owner was egging me on to do the drop off 😀

From new;
    Lynskey Ridgeline, 11 months
    Gary Fisher Rig, 7 months

batman11
    Free Member

Not the frame. But 1 mile total over 2 attempted rides where I changed gear ripped the rear mech hanger off and tore 2 x0 rear mechs clean in half total damage worth about £390 at the time oh well.
    Oh and I did crack an on one fatty frame at the top of the seat mast after about 40 miles use! I might add on one where great and it was all sorted within a few weeks 😀

gee
    Free Member

I did a brand new Specialized SWorks helmet in 100yards… Race started, cleat sheared in half, foot flew out of pedal leading to massive crash…

Bregante

Not me but my mate snapped his brand new Scott Ransom on the first day in the pyrenees. He had it replaced under warranty and snapped that within a month. Scott were very good about it and gave him a carbon one second time round which he had for years without any problems.

awh
    Free Member

A prototype Maverick frame after about 5 minutes!

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Managed 3 Spesh FSR XC frames in 6 months. Last one was a couple of weeks. Spesh were fantastic about replacement frames. Absolute no quibble. Last frame went, I went back to the original shop I got it from.
    Shop owner ‘ I guess you don’t want another FSR frame then?’
    Me ‘ Er, no thanks’
    Shop owner ‘ What about a deal on a Yeti ASR ?’
    Me ‘ yes , great’
    Waited 3 months for that frame, was great, never broke, never groaned.

woody21
    Free Member

Scott MC30 after about 8 years. 18 Bikes did the business and got a new frame

stevede
    Free Member

My 2012 Five frame lasted me 6 months from new, bent the back end despite it being the Maxle version, oh and the seat tube 😳 Orange were good as gold to be fair, didn’t ride the replacement though. A few bikes later and I’m back on an Orange but thought I’d better go for the Alpine this time….

jes
    Free Member

Only ever broke two frames

GT LTS back in the day lasted about 9 months, small crack in the upper pivot mounting on the seat tube.
    Kindly replaced under warranty.

Pro Star BMX frame back …..back in the day, 3 months, bike started to feel a bit weird pedalling into bowl, popped out of the back side and landed with a loud crack, snapped the top and down tube at the seat tube and BB welds.
    Real pain to get it replaced under warranty with the LBS as it apparently wasn’t designed for “doing tricks” …… Rad 🙂

Candodavid
    Free Member

Got camera footage slamming my tallboy ltc into an immovable rock on its second ride, 20mph to dead stop, hmm, downtube hit about 70mm from BB, lasted for the rest of the week in Spain, came home, only about 10mm of downtube holding together, replaced by SC….at cost.

Northwind

Couple of years before I broke the chainstays on my Hemlock.

When I got my first proper mountain bike it took me about 60 minutes riding time before I destroyed the back wheel and bent the handlebars in half, my parents were delighted. But the frame is still going strong

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Trek Madone 6.9SSL Road frame, cost around £3k and lasted a mile and half, hit a small pothole whilst sat down and the seat tube snapped clean in two. The replacement lasted 2 months until the chain stay snapped, the 3rd went at the top tube. Not a good vintage for that frame!

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

2 months , 168 miles, mongoose cannan , broke around seat tube

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

About 15 years but it was/is a fillet brazed frame so I just replaced the chainstay & dropout, still use it regularly too.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

5 months for a Mekk Potenza SL 5.0 carbon road frame, managed somehow to shear the rear mech hanger & drag the mech over the cassette into the seat stay, punching a hole in it.
    Mekk were pretty upfront about getting me a new frame at cost but i was too impatient to wait the projected 2.5 months so spent double the price on a Dolan frame!

bol

I broke my mk 1 Niner RIP9 second ride out. Snapped the seat tube at the pivot. Very bouncy ride home.

loddrik
    Free Member

Please elaborate?

schmiken

Gee – at Cannock perchance?

awh
    Free Member

Please elaborate?

I can’t quite remember the exact details. My friend Chris who worked in a local bike shop had been lent it by a journalist, it may have been Chipps. Chris was then going to lend it to me. Being taller than Chris he raised the saddle for me. What we hadn’t realised was that the seatpost was quite short, possibly because of the curved seat tube, and as I rode up the hill on my way home the seat tube cracked by the seat clamp. The design was different on the production frames so I guess I have a slight claim to fame in its design!

Maverick Photo

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘what's the shortest time/distance on a frame till you broke it?’ is closed to new replies.