Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • what's the protocol with playing online,if the friend invite turns out to be.. .
  • racefaceec90

a child?

now i don’t play a lot of online gaming tbh,but am playing test drive unlimited 2 atm on 360. had a friend invite not long ago which i accepted. turned out the person sounded about 10-12.

as soon as i realized,i messaged him to let him know that i am actually 39 and not his age. he did sound a bit disappointed when he read my message (like i was telling him to get lost) but i just wanted to be honest with the kid.

what do you do when online gaming and that type of situation comes up?

vorlich
    Free Member

TheFlyingOx

MoreCashThanDash

Sounds like you have dealt with it properly.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with it IMO as long as you are clear.

Society is paranoid these days.

dabble
    Free Member

I played COD with a lad of 12 (i’m 30) for about 6 months, I deleted him cause he kept kicking my arse.

theotherjonv

He’s not really twelve. The disappointment has arisen because you’re not twelve either.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

i think in reality you are an adult playing computer games, ergo you need to get out more!!

bradley
    Free Member

I don’t think it really matters. I used to play alot of Xbox online and various other computer based online games and age ranges were vast. All that really matters is are they any good?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

i think in reality you are an adult playing computer games, ergo you need to get out more!!

Cheer up gramps!

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

I know nothing about gaming, online or otherwise, but I assume you don’t need to interact with the kid do you other than to race against each other? So age is irrelevant surely?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

but I assume you don’t need to interact with the kid do you other than to race against each other?

There’s normally a fair amount of trash talk and general chit chat. In big groups you can hide away and not really participate but not everyone likes a silent player.

Jamie
    Free Member

Junkyard
    Free Member

Given you are here you must be an expert dealing with folk with child like mentalities

bigyinn
    Free Member

Its hardly grooming.
    Is it?

DezB
    Free Member

I made a rule for my kid – only ever friend people you know.
    It hasn’t worked, but the stuff he plays, CoD etc. adults really play that shit? Surely there’s better things to do with your time?! 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

Doesn’t seem bad; what’s worse is when you are playing GTAV online at 1am on a school night and there are little kids’ voices on the public maps.

Surely there’s better things to do with your time?!

Each to his own.

Perhaps you can provide us an approved list of passtimes so we can all be right thinking, like you? 🙂

marky29er
    Free Member

I made a rule for my kid – only ever friend people you know.
    It hasn’t worked, but the stuff he plays, CoD etc. adults really play that shit? Surely there’s better things to do with your time?!

Last time I looked COD had an age rating of 18, assume your kid is over that then?

Jamie
    Free Member

It hasn’t worked, but the stuff he plays, CoD etc. adults really play that shit? Surely there’s better things to do with your time?!

lilchris
    Free Member

Doesn’t seem bad; what’s worse is when you are playing GTAV online at 1am on a school night and there are little kids’ voices on the public maps.

They have electricity all over the world now 😉

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

There’s normally a fair amount of trash talk and general chit chat. In big groups you can hide away and not really participate but not everyone likes a silent player.

I see. Chatting to 12 year old kids that you don’t know – not for me. But you’ve acted properly OP.

molgrips
    Free Member

They have electricity all over the world now

Yeah but MOST kids with British accents are in fact in Britain. Not all, of course, but most.

DezB
    Free Member

Last time I looked COD had an age rating of 18, assume your kid is over that then?

Pegi rating may be 18, but I’ve checked and its just running around pretending to shoot people like we used to do at school. Except on a telly screen. So it passed my rating.
    As a responsible parent I feel its better to rate them yourself rather than going by what some committee has decided. 😀

GrahamS

its just running around pretending to shoot people like we used to do at school. Except on a telly screen. So it passed my rating.

Yeah it’s just like that:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ChEeAV8q8Q[/video]

DezB
    Free Member

I’ve sat there when he’s playing it GrahamS. Its just running around pretending to shoot people like we used to do at school. Except on a telly screen.
    I’ve also played it with him. Not for very long though, I had washing to hang out.

GrahamS

When I ran around pretending to shoot people at school they weren’t equipped with copious blood bags, dismembered limbs and able to produce high-def renderings of exploding heads.

YMMV. 😀

DezB
    Free Member

They were in our imaginations!

molgrips
    Free Member

Quite a difference between kids’ makebelieve and some of these games.

When you are playing as a kid, you only have what’s already in your head. When playing a game, you are being shown what’s in someone else’s head. In this case, someone a lot older and better able to contextualise it. Possibly… or someone more inured.. or just sicker.

GrahamS

Yeah… sort of a different thing really. My schoolboy imaginings were more this kind of thing:

It didn’t, for example, include torturing someone by smashing a window, putting the broken glass into his mouth then punching him in the face. (CoD: Black Ops).

Again YMMV.

martinhutch

When playing a game, you are being shown what’s in someone else’s head

Quite literally, often. Headshots are ace!

DezB
    Free Member

include torturing someone by smashing a window, putting the broken glass into his mouth then punching him in the face

Nope, not in the game either.

GrahamS

Nope, not in the game either.

Watch from 0:40

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OTQxwBeZhw[/video]

DezB
    Free Member

Jeez, thanks for the advice about my parenting, it’s really appreciated. (or not).
    I’ve sat there when he’s playing it GrahamS. Its just running around pretending to shoot people like we used to do at school. Except on a telly screen.

This is about racefaceec90’s grooming (or not) though.

GrahamS

Jeez, thanks for the advice about my parenting, it’s really appreciated. (or not).

I’m not offering you any advice about your parenting.

I’m just saying that modern games are reaching photo-realistic levels of detail and can feature incredibly graphic and brutal violence, which is often framed in stories with very dubious morality. To my mind that makes them a very different beast from running around a playground shouting “bang-bang”.

What you choose to do with that information is entirely your business.

DezB
    Free Member

I read it and understood it, although you can’t seem to read the bit I’ve posted 3 times now.. ho hum.

bearnecessities

We used to lob big lumps of stone embedded mud at one another across the massive park we were lucky enough to have.

Can’t imagine anything could be more fun, other than actually having firearms.

GrahamS

Yes I’ve read it and responded to it. And shown you videos.
    And as I said, when I was a kid a game of “Sojjers” didn’t include acting out the torture and execution of prisoners. If yours did then yes, it’s exactly “running around pretending to shoot people like we used to do at schoolborstal”. 😉

ads678

I’m 38, so a whole year younger than the OP and, IMO, adults should be knocking on the window and shaking your fist at kids playing football in the street and generally being happier than you rather than playing kids games on computers!

But as there’s no kids playing out these days and they are all gaming i suppose cyber shooting them is kinda the same……..

emsz
    Free Member

Games my brother(14) wants to play go through “emsz can Euan play this?” question as my parents know I play a load of stuf. GrahamS a lot of stuff you see on those films you can skip past, and most people do. There’s a well know level on MW called no Russian where you have to shoot civvies. The game actually allows you to just walkthrough so your not shooting innocent bystanders.

I’d be chilled about 13-14 yr olds playing cod but not gta

pondo

I tried some online racing on GTA V but tearfully withdrew when some pre-pubescent teenage American promised to papercut my nipples. 🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘what's the protocol with playing online,if the friend invite turns out to be.. .’ is closed to new replies.