Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 98 total)
  • What's the point of getting married?
  • 5thElefant
    Free Member

The thing I don’t get about marriage is not the idea of commitment etc, but the need to spend 20k on one day.

£40 for the form. Job done. The party is optional.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Quality day out, presents and a first rate holiday.

crikey
    Free Member

Quality day out, presents and a first rate holiday.

Unfortunately with the wife, every silver lining, etc.

bullheart
    Free Member

Because it’s ace.

clubber
    Free Member

bullheart – Member
    Because it’s ace.

+1

There is no fundamental point, just as there’s no point to riding mtbs.

thehustler
    Free Member

When I got married there was a tax advantage……thats gone now…….cant come up with any other positives…….

Edukator
    Free Member

Interesting that the institution of marriage is viewed with so much hostility by so many. The contract itself was far less intimidating than the papers we signed when setting up a business together.

As contracts go it’s quite a good one providing mutual security and security for any kids that should come along.

Financially we saved about 15 times what the wedding cost in tax in the year we got married and if ever you don’t do better taxed as a married couple you can elect to be taxed separately.

For us it was a low-key, non-religious ceremony and I enjoyed it. Serene, romantic and fun are the words that spring to mind. I saw it more of a positive statement than a ball and chain commitment.

ransos
    Free Member

Because we love each other and we both wanted to. That’s all the reason you’ll ever need.

And, contrary to expectation, it does make me feel differently about our relationship – there is something about her standing in front of more than 100 family and friends, and saying that she wants to spend the rest of her life with me. You can’t get a much bigger compliment than that.

jj55

I’ve been married 31 years! I’m very proud to say that 🙂

It’s was not the reception and all the baloney that went with it, for us it was that ceremony in a church we love in front of our family and friends that counted.

IMHO Marriage is VERY underrated, and has spawned a great unnecessary industry around the reception and honeymoon. A simple ceremony with a few friends and family, and a quiet reception is all that’s really needed if you love each other.

MentalMickey
    Free Member

Cougar

I dunno about ‘game over,’ that looks like one hell of a honeymoon night to me.

MentalMickey
    Free Member

Cougar – Member
    I dunno about ‘game over,’ that looks like one hell of a honeymoon night to me.

I was too flattering with that sexier version I suppose.

MentalMickey
    Free Member

Does everyone understand the answer now? 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

If you have no intention of it being a permanent partnership then obviously there is no point.

If you have intentions of it being permanent it’s also pointless.

As far as I’m concerned you could cheat/leave/be an arse etc whether you’re married or not, all that marriage does is make it a financial risk so you’ve one more reason to not cheat if you were thinking of it. So in essence, it means you’re so insecure in your relationship that you need to proclaim it to the world and make sure they’re tied to you so they don’t dare stray without really good reason.

😀 I’m sure that’s not the case in all of them, some people just want a nice day 🙂

deluded
    Free Member

Marriage has nothing to do with religion as far as my wife and I are concerned – that’s why we had a civil ceremony. Committing your life to somebody is worth celebrating and why not share that occasion with family and close friends by way of a ceremony of some description? My wedding was probably the best day of my life. It’s all the other little attachments (not necessarily of the material kind) that go with it. On the morning of my wedding I was given a pocket watch with a very personal inscription on from my wife – I’ll never forget that moment. I’ve a photo of me with my close circle of mates that I grew up with outside the wedding venue – it brings a lump to my throat seeing all the lads together.

There’s not a lot of point to many of the things we do in life if we want to get reductionist about stuff.

coffeeking
    Free Member

On the morning of my wedding I was given a pocket watch with a very personal inscription on from my wife – I’ll never forget that moment. I’ve a photo of me with my close circle of mates that I grew up with outside the wedding venue – it brings a lump to my throat seeing all the lads together.

But surely you could (and should) do those things without, and in fact to do them without the surrounding basis of a wedding makes them equally if not more meaningful. Everyone can get together for a big day, give each other nice gifts on their wedding day etc. To do it out of the blue on a rainy monday, or organise to meet all your mates and have a great day together without some backstory and expense makes it all the better IMO.

emma82
    Free Member

I was always of the ‘we don’t need a piece of paper’ camp for years. Hubby to be still is really but knows it’s important to me so is going along with it. However, looking forward to the next phase of our life, i.e. house, kids etc it feels like the right thing for us to do to provide a bit of security and I also want our babies to have a family name. I can’t really explain it, it’s just something I feel the need to do and make part of my identity i.e. be known as someone’s wife and to be honest I’m sick of having to refer to hubby to be as my partner, yes he is but usually when I say ‘my partner and I’ people look at me funny but he is NOT my boyfriend, he is much more than a friend so I hate both terms. Probably just hormones and the fact that I turn 30 next year so the biological clock is ticking! HTH.

Phil you are obviously! feeling a little unsure to be thinking about it enough for the long OP

retro83
    Free Member

crikey – Member
    Unfortunately with the wife, every silver lining, etc.

😆

deluded
    Free Member

But surely you could (and should) do those things without, and in fact to do them without the surrounding basis of a wedding makes them equally if not more meaningful. Everyone can get together for a big day, give each other nice gifts on their wedding day etc. To do it out of the blue on a rainy monday, or organise to meet all your mates and have a great day together without some backstory and expense makes it all the better IMO

Yeah, I guess you could – but that lacks a sense of occasion IMHO.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Yeah, I guess you could – but that lacks a sense of occasion IMHO.

But doesnt that just mean you’re looking for bells and whistles to validate your gifts/occasions, rather than doing them for the right reasons? (Not targetting you here, speaking in general of anyone with that opinion)

deluded
    Free Member

But doesnt that just mean you’re looking for bells and whistles to validate your gifts/occasions, rather than doing them for the right reasons?

No.

… and how dare you. I have done it for the right reasons – namely a sizable inheritance 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

But surely you could (and should) do those things without

The thing is though that everyone else knows the score with a wedding. If you just say ‘we’re getting together to celebrate our relationship’ people would be thinking ‘errrr, okaaay’ and not sure what’s really going on.

Convenient shorthand.

philconsequence
    Free Member

emma, not really… the thread about the vegas wedding got me thinking about the expectations on honeymoons, then my mind wandered to weddings and the expectations of family and friends, then i thought about mrsconsequence and i’s plans for the future and our views on weddings.. then i had 5 minutes free at work whilst waiting for a call so started a random thread.

congrats on the engagement 😀

emma82
    Free Member

Ahhh but you call her MrsConsequence…… I reckon you have a secret yearning??!!! Perhaps it’s still so subconscious you haven’t worked it out yet?

philconsequence
    Free Member

thats cos, like you, i dont like the term ‘partner’… and girlfriend makes the relationship sound immature. she wears a 3.99 engagement ring at work to stop people hassling her about not being married purely cos she gets fed up explaining her opinions on it over and over again… also slows down the tide of men hitting on her.

one day maybe… i think if the government invented a ‘life long partnership promise’ that you could make/sign that would afford a couple all the rights and legal assumptions (inheritance, rights over childs access etc etc) that a married couple get, we’d do that straight away and make a damn sexy party out of it! 😀

Edukator
    Free Member

In France it’s called a PACS (le pacte civil de solidarité). People still get wed though.

emma82
    Free Member

£3.99! Bargin 🙂

‘life long partnership promise’ that you could make/sign that would afford a couple all the rights and legal assumptions (inheritance, rights over childs access etc etc) that a married couple get, we’d do that straight away

Why not just get married then? Girl I worked with booked a week off work, got hitched at the local Registry office, BBQ with a few family in the evening then went somewhere hot on holiday. They got all the married person rights without all the hassle?! Go on Phil, you know you want to!!! There’s a romantic in you too I reckon, flowers, nice meal and whip out a massive diamond….. thinking about it aint ya!?? 8)

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

What could be better than a day being all about me?

Just need to find some girl that doesn’t mind being in the shadows…

miketually
    Free Member

£3.99! Bargin

My wife’s wedding ring was £6 from a souvenir shop 🙂

She had an £8 one from Portobello Road market before that, but it was a bit big so kept falling off. The £1.25 mood ring before that turned her finger green. The original ring was 20 quid from Argos.

emma82
    Free Member

What could be better than a day being all about me?

A wedding is the brides day Yeti, you get no say. Get over yourself and stop being so selfish! 😛 😆

Hey, with your split personality you could technically marry yourself – how perfect would you find that!

TN
    Free Member

Muz and I had been happily together for 16 years when he got ill. Through all the hospital visits I felt completely ‘unimportant’ when they asked who I was – girlfriend doesn’t really sound that serious, partner too businesslike, other half? lover?? 😉 I know that probably sounds really bizarre and maybe even trivial but it really upset me at an already highly emotional time. So once he was mended we got married. Nothing in our relationship has changed apart from the fact that I am now proud and privileged to be MrsMuz.
    Unfortunately the illness has made a comeback but this time when asked who I was I felt like I was taken more seriously when my answer was ‘his wife’.
    Probably a pretty crap reason to many but it was very very important to me then and it still is.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

you could technically marry yourself

My Mums would be so proud!

Such is my fear of rejection that I’m slighlty worried I’d say no 🙁

jon1973
    Free Member

Hey, with your split personality you could technically marry yourself

I think that would technically be a Civil Partnership.

emma82
    Free Member

Find a woman you really hate and buy her a house.

Weren’t you just on the other thread explaining how women need to be woooooood and not rammed with sex toys? 🙂 One extreme to another…

emma82
    Free Member

lol, I take everything with extreme seriousness. So have you ever worked out the cyclical time when wimmen will jump you without so much as an offer of a beer and kebab before bed time?

Markie
    Free Member

Surfer +1.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’ll be honest GRF… I think everything you say is bollox… but that’s why I like you and think you’re a valuable forum member… that and you’re going to give me a Covert… chop chop.

spooky_b329

I always assumed we would get married, just managed to avoid it for ten years (unintentionally).

The main motivation for the gf is that she knows the honeymoon is the excuse she needed to book two weeks in Whistler mountain biking 🙂

Anyway, only five sleeps til the big day! Bikes are half packed 🙂

project
    Free Member

“What’s the point of getting married”

For quite a few, to pretend to the world and yourself youre not gay.

Pieface

The Stag weekend

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘What's the point of getting married?’ is closed to new replies.