Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • What's the point in quick links / power links?
  • dannybgoode

Possibly a stupid question but what’s the point in these?

I’m swapping a chain out and I’m going to have to take links out of the new one so what’s the point in the power link seeing as I have to use a chain tool to break and join the damned thing anyway

joebristol

How are you going to rejoin the new chain without a power link, and without trying to reuse a pin you’ve taken out of the new chain?

onandon
    Free Member

So you can remove the chain to clean it or maintain your bike.

scaredypants

they’re, err, quick ?

If you’ve no plans to take chain off until you bin it then maybe don’t bother

Pyro

Because the ends of the pins are splayed out to hold them and the plates in place, so re-using a pin breaks or bends that end when you punch it out, which usually* leads to a join that’s weaker than the factory-set ones, and often ends up stiff if you don’t get the pin placement bang on.

*always, to be honest

BigJohn

Using a chain tool to replace a pin is likely to result in a stiff link and a weak point. And then you find you threaded it round the jockey wheels wrong.

lardman
    Free Member

If need one, there’s a tool which opens up ‘quick-links’ to facilitate easy removal of the chain, for cleaning etc:

dannybgoode

I understand the bit about stiff links etc but you have to break and make the chain anyway to take links out.

Yeah, to be honest I’ve never taken my chain off to clean it 🙂

rs
    Free Member

I’m swapping a chain out and I’m going to have to take links out of the new one so what’s the point in the power link seeing as I have to use a chain tool to break and join the damned thing anyway… ahhhhh 💡

mattyfez

Yeh the pins are not reusable, as said above they are slightly mushroom shaped to keep them in place.

When you push the pin out with a chain tool, it basically ruins the pin.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Of course he might have had a point in the goo old days. 9 speed stuff is perfectly joinable with a chain tool.

dannybgoode

Ok so I’m clearly missing something! Easy to do trust me.

How do I take links out without using a chain tool and reusing a pin?!

mattyfez

Depends on the chain, my kmc 9 speed chain speed is peened.

Although I remember back in the day you could replace and re use pins, I guess peened pins are more secure.

mattyfez

You need a chain tool really, just for removing links or shortening the chain, and a quick link to rejoin it.

rs
    Free Member

Ok so I’m clearly missing something! Easy to do trust me.

shorten chain to correct length by removing pin, throw away bits, use quick link to join chain without using chain tool or pin.

rs
    Free Member

then be amazed at how useful quick links are 🙂

pdw
    Free Member

You replace the removed pin with a connecting pin. Or use a quick link.

scaredypants

I’d assumed you were using chains that come with a specific joining pin – if not, quicklink is better

joshvegas
    Free Member

shorten chain to correct length by removing pin, throw away bits, use quick link to join chain without using chain tool or pin save bits to make a new chain for your singlespeed

Ftfy

timwillows
    Free Member

Quick links used to be more useful back in 9 speed days when you could open and shut them by hand, 10+ speed seem to need a tool to reopen them

Northwind

It’s mostly just that they’re foolproof whereas connecting pins need a little skill to do right, and can be done so badly that you end up walking home.

downhillfast
    Free Member

You just a chain tool just for removing links or shortening the chain, and a quick link to rejoin it.

It doesn’t get any simpler than this.
    Use a chain tool to remove the excess links, then join the two ends with a quick link.
    I use an x-toolz tool to “undo” quick links if I need to, you can do it by hand though.
    Tbh I just use a chain bath/cleaner thing, so the chain rarely needs to come off anyway.

I think quick links are a nice idea, but not really necessary.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Quick links are also good as a trail fix.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Possibly a stupid question

Yes.

mick_r

If you break a mech then quick links also make it faster and easier to replace. Had to do this in car parks, at races etc on a number of occasions for kids / friends.

If you run singlespeed and want to swap ratios then splitting the chain at the link and adding another ql and bit of chain made it easy. Each 4 tooth ratio change is approx one full link. (mine is geared for hilly off road but occasionally swapped for a flat local race course).

aracer
    Free Member

SRAM ones do, but KNC 10 speed ones can still be done by hand (I don’t know about 11, I’m not quite that modern).

dannybgoode

Thanks all. Figured it out. Nice spangly new drive train successfully installed on the road bike.

Hopefully get it out for a spin over the weekend.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’m swapping a chain out

That’s where I first got annoyed with you. 8)

Speeder

Ignore me 😕

scandal42
    Free Member

Thanks all. Figured it out. Nice spangly new drive train successfully installed on the road bike.

Hopefully get it out for a spin over the weekend.

You never said it was a road bike 😯

dannybgoode

You never said it was a road bike

Which matters because?.. :p

poah
    Free Member

11sp KMC ones shouldn’t be reused

iain1775
    Free Member

11sp KMC ones shouldn’t be reused

Is the official line however in reality they can be reused just fine, I have several times

poah
    Free Member

me too although one of mine broke

Saccades
    Free Member

I use the 9 speed hand usable on a 10 and 11 speed set up fine.

Bollocks to carrying a tool on the trails with me.

Poopscoop

I think there isn’t a reusable link available from anyone for 11 speed last time I looked?

Officially I mean.

I’ve reused an Sram 11 spd link a few times however with no issues.

That said,I do vary a spare link with me taped to the stem at all times just in case.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘What's the point in quick links / power links?’ is closed to new replies.