Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Whats the most technical descent in Scotland?
  • bigthunder
    Free Member

Its all open to opinion I know so lets hear some! Natural trails or trail centres.

geoffj

Dunkeld downhill track

titusrider
    Free Member

lol at the idea of someone really suggesting a trail centre, laggan is fun but im sure there is so much out there that is danny mackaskill/ hans rey techy.

What i suppose you really mean is what is ridable by the average STWer?

Been to dunkeld and would aggree its pretty tough

TheFlyingOx

Dumyat, south face. It’s less descent, more freefall.

fizzer
    Free Member

Inn Pin

ton

north descent off nevis is right up there i reckon.

richmtb

Natural is always going to offer more technical options. Trail centres are designed to be ridden after all even the really techy bits still have a bike in mind.

With natural trails its really down to how brave/ skilled / stupid you are and the limits of whats possible.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Ton, down CMD or one of the gullies? what route?

GW
    Free Member

Dunkeld DH track isn’t anywhere near the most technical descent you could find in Scotland, very little that’s well used is ever massively technical. man made trails certainly can be though.

legend
    Free Member

GW, would you agree that Glenoe > Dunkeld anyway? Glencoe’s the only one I can think of that throws you from one ‘oh ****’ moment straight into the next with no break at all

GW
    Free Member

not really anymore TBH! it’s actually fun and flows really well now it’s been built properly, only actual crash I had was second (still asleep) run down and forgetting there was a 90deg right hand corner after the blind brow/railway sleepers, pinging down the R/H side T-boning it and launching myself over the top (completely my own fault).
    trying to brake all the way down so as not to freak out the only women brave enough to ride it (but clearly way out of their league) was way harder than just going with the flow ie. “the not pinning/mincing comfort zone”. track standing on slippy 45deg rocks and expecting to get away with it is pushing the zone slightly 😉

Spin
    Free Member

Not the same style as the others (more slow and techy) but out of Coire Mhic Fhearchair on Beinn Eighe would be an heroic but not impossible effort to clean.

el_bandido
    Free Member

The most technical downhill in Scotland is most likely completely unridable by almost anyone. The best downhill I’ve done in Scotland was Capel Mounth down to Glen Clova, which was quite technical in places, but all doable. Seem to remember pushing a little bit, but was riding within myself somewhat.

flow
    Free Member

GT red, without a shadow of a doubt.

bigthunder
    Free Member

Good mix of opinions there! Ive had a wee think and Skye comes to mind. The descent from Loch Coruisk into glen Sligachan is pretty tough but not the most technical and the Ciaran path also sprang to mind. Cant come up with the top one though. Still thinking…..

GW
    Free Member

That’s because there is no “top one” even if you do find your most chalenging descent, it could more than likely be made way more technical by simply riding the even more **** up line to the left or right.

legend
    Free Member

it could more than likely be made way more technical by simply riding the even more **** up line to the left or right

so following Mike then? 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ciaran path?

I hear the path DH from Morven into Braemar village deserves respect.

(This is a ‘worth doing?’ enquiry BTW)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Technical? what counts?

How about the main path of the cobbler summit? Ridable with the balls / skill

martinxyz
    Free Member

The track from the black cuillin down into sligichan is rocky and chainstay rippingly dodgy but not steep or terrifying.where do we draw the line in coming up with techy tracks off mountains? We could spend all day coming up with tracks like the easy descents off carn ban mor to the other end of the scale.. riding down alladins couloir!

footflaps

Alladins – pah – it’s only a Grade I in winter. How about descending Doctor’s Choice on a uni-cycle?

Spin
    Free Member

I’d agree with GW that there is no answer to this.

Speculation is fun though.

sambob
    Free Member

Ben A’an looks good. Not really ridden much in Scotland but it does look tough.

bigthunder
    Free Member

Had a wee crack at ben aan and found it quite good. Fairly quick push up – top in about 2hrs and stunning views – and the ride down is tuff with a few bits that would require practice! The ciaran path runs from blackwater reevoir down into kinlochleven. Again tuff but rewarding! Maybe shouldnt have said top one but I do like hearing aboout some of these. Never heard of a few of them!

seosamh77
    Free Member

That’s because there is no “top one” even if you do find your most chalenging descent, it could more than likely be made way more technical by simply riding the even more **** up line to the left or right.

Weather changes thing dramatically also.

bonfield-jones
    Free Member

Well, I rode the WHW Devils staircase over blackwater dam wall 🙂 and onto the Ciaran path last week. I would say its tricky but all descents are rideable. The Technical part of the trail is the short little climbs (it was wet) and the stream crossings that you encounter. A very enjoyable afternoon out. Coffee in Ice factor in kinlochleven is quite nice too.
    Technical is all relative to bike/skill etc. It has to be worthwhile aswell. Some of the Paths round Torridon are pretty funky and worth a scope out.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

got some videos of said technical descents? useless without, and pretty useless with as it often doesnt tell you just how steep things are….but at least its somet fun to watch innit

bajsyckel

How about descending Doctor’s Choice on a uni-cycle?

Pfft… That’s nowt, I reckon some of the heroes on here would be able to have a fair crack at The Hurting (on a fixed gear of course).
    Actually, having said that, I topped out of a winter route on Nevis a few years back only to find a guy up top on a unicycle – no winter gear at all and said he’d been unable to ride anything ’cause of the snow/ice. Reckoned he would go down the tourist path. As we were skiing down, we never saw him again but assume he must have made it, or is still at the bottom of one gullies.

LD
    Free Member

Not the most difficult but Coire Lair to Achnashellach is the most enjoyable technical descent I have done.
    And to the poster with the infeasibly long username, yes Morrone summit to Breamar is very good, techy but all do-able and a good variety of terrain.

andrewh
    Free Member

fizzer – Member
    Inn Pin

😀

Surely once you are over the lip at the top it’s easy? No steering to do, just straight down.

messiah
    Free Member

I know some trails which have spectacularly sphincter clenching moments… but I could not describe them as “the most technical descent in Scotland?”.

Sanny
    Free Member

For me, tech has to mean something that I don’t clean first time and end up going back and redoing until it’s ridden or something which I look at and gives me a little bit of the fear.

One man’s “piece of piss” is another’s “quite hard actually” but my favourite tech descents are, in no particular order, Glas Alt (rode it recently and loved it), Ben Lomond, Ben Lawers top section (bottom is really flowy but not tech), the steep stone pitched steps on Mealle a Buchaille, Ben Vorlich top section, Cairn Toul rocky switchbacks of much rockiness, Jocks Road, Ciaran Path though it is more of a traverse, one of the steeper descents into Kinlochleven from Mamore Lodge, the steep scree laden descent from Beinn a Bhuird to the bealach with Ben Avon and the descent of MacDhui to the Hutchy Hut.

However, there are so many more to be discovered – on my radar is the Ring of Steall, Ben Cruachan, Beinn Glas (walked up it on the way to Lawers – it looked stunning)amongst others. For me, big mountains are generally the way to go when it comes to finding sustained technical descents.

Sanny
    Free Member

Spin

The path from the three buttresses of Beinn Eighe back towards the northern flank of Liatach is awesome but a real head melt if you don’t like stop start hoppy style riding. I rode it last year and loved every bit of it whereas not everyone I rode with that day shared my opinion. Ha! Ha! It’s hard to get to but the three buttresses are stunning to behold.

Messiah

I tried but failed on the corner on Alt Glas you spoke of before. I was endoing and hopping up onto it but was catching the big ring on it. Garrrr! Awesome descent though.

So which ones make you go criminy,that’s a bit scary!

Sanny

Sanny
    Free Member

For tech, I reckon the descent that singletrackbikes posted on you tube under Kinlochleven MTB ride from June of this year looks like it could be one of the finest traverses and descents in Scotland. I’m itching to get up there to do it. Do a search. You’ll see what I mean.

Oh and add the Quirang to the list – not long but cracking good fun. And of course the Lairig Ghru has little techy bits but the flow alone means it should be on the list.

BikePawl
    Free Member

No ones mentioned the Etive slabs(trilleachan slabs)

grum
    Free Member

Ben Lomond is the most technical one I’ve ridden, I’m sure there are worse though – ranging up to completely unrideable by almost anyone.

drookitmunter
    Free Member

That I’ve ridden – Ben Lomond. The Cobbler path from Beinn Ime is quite tricky, but no where near as insane as Ben Lomond. Great fun!

drookitmunter
    Free Member

Has anyone ridden Ben Starav? Thinking about heading there on Saturday but I haven’t walked it so unsure how possible it will be to ride down.

druidh
    Free Member

Starav?? It’s a while since I was there but I can’t recall thinking “this would be good on a bike” at any point. The route up the middle of the corrie would give some sport and, IIRC, the path carries on all the way to the col but is very steep in its final phase. The usual walking route is up the obvious North ridge which is pretty broken up in places and vague/pathless at times.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Whats the most technical descent in Scotland?’ is closed to new replies.