Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 91 total)
  • What's the most rewarding thing you've done at work?
  • wanmankylung
    Free Member

This week I have been trying to help an elderly patient to change her thought patterns to allow them to walk without being petrified that they are about to have their legs collapse under them. Been using a mixture of CBT and motivational techniques. On monday they would not get out of bed because they thought they would fall over, today they managed to walk 6m with a smile on their face.

I’m a physio in an acute hospital.

thegreatape
    Free Member

18 months ago, the most delightful 85 year old widower walked into my police station with his bank statements bewildered as to why his account was empty. About 17 months ago he was practically in tears after I worked out it was his next door neighbour and her daughter who’d stolen it all. On Tuesday he gave me a massive hug when they went to jail.

Things like that make it seem worthwhile.

brooess
    Free Member

Most of my direct reports have been promoted. Two in particular were being bullied or had been bullied by their bosses and their lack of confidence was seriously holding back their obvious potential. 6-12 months work with each and they thrived.

To me it seemed like the right thing to do, and the very least a manager should do. 10 years on I realise very few managers care in the slightest about such things so I’m still very proud of what I/they achieved…

Ambrose

We need a ‘Like’ button on this and so many other threads.

peajay

Some great stuff up there, must feel good to make a difference, I’m afraid I’m just a cog in a larger machine and have become a wage slave just passing the time till I get out, try to make life outside of work my focus.

Yak

Transform huge failing neighbourhoods into somewhere great. Ah – we didn’t mostly finish this – economic crash, change of government, long-term projects, short term spending….blah.

So instead – smaller stuff. Quite proud of a nice 40unit over 55’s housing project. Lots of shared gardens, residents looking out for each other, nice community feel and spacious energy efficient dwellings. Worked with the residents from day 1, evolved the scheme with them and delivered something they took immediate pride in.

_tom_
    Free Member

Seeing the first promo and features I edited get played out on our tv channel for the first time. I love my job despite having no real interest in the channel I work for (its horse racing, despite working here for two years I’m still indifferent to it)! Oh and being told “we definitely made the right decision to promote you” in my review just after starting the editing job 🙂

simmy
    Free Member

This is nothing compared to what the others have done, but I’ve rescued a couple of dogs that have escaped gardens by stopping and alerting the owners.

Also it’s amazing how many people leave keys in car doors and even car doors wide open. I always stop and knock on the nearest house.

The joys of driving round housing estates with learner drivers !!

stoffel
    Free Member

Pullled. 8)

stoffel
    Free Member

Also it’s amazing how many people leave keys in car doors and even car doors wide open. I always have a rummae round see if there’s anything worh nicking.

😉

woody21
    Free Member

Two weeks into a new job I secured a contract for £140k

mikewsmith
    Free Member

tagged 2 weekends in Rotorua onto a training course I was delivering.
    The training side is generally quite rewarding especially with non IT types. Blowing some of the magic consulting smoke out of it all is quite fun.
    After that probably stopping somebody from wasting a huge amount of money on the wrong solution/ego trip.

robarnold
    Free Member

Kept an 11 year old boy alive when he’d collapsed in the street and was in cardiac arrest in january. The local GP and I gave him chest compressions and rescue breaths until the closest ambulance arrived which was closer than i’d been but then couldn’t find the boy and his mum until i’d radioed through the exact location.

He survived then spent four months in Alder Hey learning to swallow, move his limbs, talk then eventually walk again. He’s now back home and planning to go back to school in September.

My Sergeant and I were planning on how to investigate his death after the ambulance had left with him and his mum but thankfully we never had to :-).

Being a local bobby has its moments at present whilst there are big changes happening but this day sticks in the memory somewhat.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Used double sided tape to stick lingerie on models for photo shoots

grahamg
    Free Member

A little play on words ‘Bollards to bollards’, that I inserted in a piece of work for the DfT whilst chuckling away to myself at the thought of my boss picking it up in the proof read. Well, it made itself through our proofing, the DfT proofing and got published in transport guidance – they obviously appreciated the jovial tone which wasn’t entirely out of kilter with the gist of the contents.

bikebouy
    Free Member

My most rewarding thing was to sell my Business for a huge profit.

Theres a whole story behind that but thats the outcome.

IHN

The invoice I’ll be submitting on Monday will be for six weeks, rather than the usual four. That’ll be pretty rewarding 🙂

tang
    Free Member

Taught some grown ups to ride a bike. Followed my hunch on a few cases that saved someone from abuse or exploitation. Seeing everyone at the start line at mayhem from the commentary box in blazing sun always feels good!

molgrips
    Free Member

Well I work in IT, so I don’t get to help people to the extent that some of you do, to my shame.

I spent four months every morning talking a girl in India through how to do my job, on which she was replacing me. She’s now taken it over; pretty grateful and well set up for her career now, that’s a good feeling as I’m not sure she’d have made it otherwise.

Last year I went to a customer, they’d had something implemented by a third party that was shite, and they were struggling to do their jobs. I went in, explained it all and reworked their system a bit, they were all visibly chuffed to bits – that was good.

Yesterday, talked to a customer where I happened to be doing something else – they were facing ludicrous deadlines. In a few hours in a meeting I’d throw in technical ideas that had hugely simplified the job and now we’ve got a great chance of success. The project is for the government, which will save a crapload of money for the public purse (not by replacing jobs, this time) so that’s actually fairly significant I reckon.

qwerty
    Free Member

3 flush dump.

scud
    Free Member

I’m screwed…

Started in the Army having paid trips to sunnier climbs to show them democracy, then became a personal injury lawyer, now work for an insurance company, i’m going to hell……

DezB
    Free Member

Got some people sacked for browsing pron all day.

wwaswas

I’m screwed…

no shame in the oldest profession.

rossatease
    Free Member

Got to say nothing I’ve done is anything like as rewarding as you guys back there, credit to you. I’ve had a few deals that went well in my time, have helped folk start new careers and trained them to be what they might not have ever considered, but nothing like that real helping folk with serious issues stuff, that may not be that rewarding financially but there is more to life than money.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Set up aggegate recycling plants that mean 4 highways contracts we have are near as is possible self sufficient for stone. Diverting over 100,000 T of waste from landfill and reducing demand for quarried stone by the same.

TimP
    Free Member

This week it was negotiate myself out of a job I hate a month early which has raised my mood and made me a better person to be around for my family.
    Bit selfish compared to above but a big difference in my tiny world.

steve-g
    Free Member

It’s quite depressing that at 33 I can’t think of a serious answer to this question

toppers3933
    Free Member

Various major first aid incidents spring to mind. And helping some clients while I was a guide in les gets get down some pretty serious terrain. Remembering their reluctance to do any of it while reminiscing over a beer in the evening having successfully completed everything that was thrown at them was a good feeling. Not exactly life saving stuff but it made me feel proud.

ourmaninthenorth

This is a really good question, and it’s got me thinking.

“Not enough” is my answer. Not because I’m comparing against those who do life-saving jobs, or work in education, but because what I do (lawyer*) is generally only about making or saving money for people.

*For the next fortnight only – catch me while you can!

kiwijohn

Just seeing someone enjoy a bottle of wine I’ve made.

sbob
    Free Member

Made quite a few things that a lot of people find very useful. All you smartphone users can thank me if you are ever using a function where a satellite is involved as I made the bits to make it possible (and over two dozen companies failed to do so before coming to me). 8)

Had a thalidomide victim come in to get some custom golf clubs made for him, which was good, he was well chuffed (he had almost perfectly formed hands, just hardly any arms, the clubs were about six foot long).

Most rewarding thing I’ve done is simply helping a new disabled customer at work. She was so overwhelmed with the level of service she received that she wrote me a letter in a thank you card.
    That card sits on my desk infront of me now, and has helped me get through some very dark times.

HansRey

A colleague thanked me, for giving them the confidence to speak english with a native speaker. That was a good day (i finally had someone to talk to!). Building up people’s confidence is a wonderful thing.

rossendalelemming
    Free Member

I briefly worked with 12 month+ unemployed, the forerunner to the Work Programme. I had one customer who amazed me, he had been a teacher for many years and quit. All the jobs centre and other agencies wanted him to do was go back into teaching. He was collecting his £65/wk while trying to find a job, yet in the evenings he went out and helped the homeless – worked in soup kitchens etc. He was one rung up the ladder from the people he was helping. I racked my brains and got him a work placement (work for free) with a homeless shelter. Within the week they were on the phone asking if they could hire him. As I was leaving the job and handing over my clients to the new lady, he walked in. “Oh no” said the lady, “he’s not one of yours is he?” “he won’t go back into teaching and I couldn’t do anything with him at the other agency”. With a big smile I told her “he’s signing off, he’s got a job doing what he’s passionate about”

The big grin on his face still makes me smile.

Ambrose

Update:

To paraphrase sbob who has set my mind into a guilty sort of turmoil…

‘Most rewarding thing I’ve done is simply being there. She was so overwhelmed with the support she received that she wrote me a letter in a thank you card.
    That letter sits on my desk infront of me now, and has helped me get through some very dark times.’

‘know that you made a difference and know that you saved a life’

The Lesotho Exchange is still pretty cool though. And today I polished off my Year 11 Science classes admin. I’m looking at a 95% A*- C rate for my two classes- I’m pretty chuffed to be honest. A Chinese takeaway and a couple of bottles of local beer are deserved I think.

cheers_drive

Setting up my own company has been very rewarding and it allows us to pay the mortgage whilst my wife does much more important and rewarding things as a social worker for fostering services.
    At my uncle’s funeral this week a ‘autobiography’ of his life was read – he’d been ill for some time – and I was taken back by the pride and reward he had in bringing through apprentices in his business. Inspiring stuff and something I hope I can do someday.

euans2
    Free Member

I used to be an engineer on SAR flight at HMS Gannet (819 NAS in my day)Thats rewarding enough for me

Houns

Helped save numerous lives whilst earning a pittance

Latest were a family of 6 who thought they had flu but it was carbon monoxide poisoning

Thanks I get is my wages not paid right.

Yes I’m some what pee’d off, I’d get paid more stacking shelves (yes I have been looking!)

chewkw
    Free Member

In the early year of my employment I smashed up my boss’ cake without him knowing because he insisted on visiting a client after 5.30pm. FFS! The traffic jam took another 2 hours, so in a fit of anger I destroyed his cake which he was saving up for his desert later on that evening. 😆 I could have roughed him up a bit but then I would be told off by the police or lose my job.

Apart from that I have done all my jobs by giving my best and sometimes people thanked me sometimes not but so long as everyone is happy that’s good enough for me. I don’t feel … unless I am running my own business or company … :mrgreen:

ashmonkey
    Free Member

Having spent too long in IT I packed it in and have worked in the domestic violence field for the past 4 years, both with perpetrators and victims. 95% grim but the rewarding bits are priceless.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Today may well have been my best ever day at work. A patient said the following to me “A couple of weeks ago I thought that I didn’t have long to live and was waiting to die. You have taken me from that and got me back on my feet and able to walk – Thank You” I am truly gutted that I wont get to keep him on as a patient as I’m moving to a different job on monday.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘What's the most rewarding thing you've done at work?’ is closed to new replies.