What's the most rewarding thing you've done at work?

Home Forum Chat Forum What's the most rewarding thing you've done at work?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)
  • What's the most rewarding thing you've done at work?
  • Premier Icon ton
    Subscriber

introduced 5 customers to cycling.
    2 are now regular enduro riders and 1 in a sr audax rider.

project

Sat down with a young patient who had just slashed his arms open with a stanley knife,and listened and chatted to him,then got him admitted to a ward for care, and a few months later helped him get on a college course, which he loved and excelled at.

Many thanks from him and his mum for helping him out.

Premier Icon pinkwafer
    Subscriber

I took a referral for a lady in a care home who was fully hoisted for all transfers after a severe illness . I worked with her and with help from the rest of the team over the course of 3-4 months, she became fully independent on her feet and moved back to her own home after nearly a year in the care home.
    I work as a community physiotherapist.

Helped kids grow up and be successful.

Premier Icon Nobby
    Subscriber

Helped dig the victims of a train crash from the rubble.

Premier Icon Sandwich
    Subscriber

In the process of helping a mate get a job where I work. Part time which suits him. One good use of Facebook that isn’t commercial.

Premier Icon Nobeerinthefridge
    Subscriber

Quadruple time, with a curry from the local Indian thrown in, and a day off in lieu. Happy days.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Tricky one.

I’ll go for the most recent.

Diagnosed a patient with an MI who didn’t present with the normal signs and symptoms, arranged for her to be admitted directly to a major hospital for procedure as per protocol. Informed her gently what would happen and the benefits as well as her family. On route she deteriorated but with a simple basic technique she resolved that and I got her there. Left her in the Theatre where they started the procedure as we left the room.

No idea how she did but I know she’s had the best possible chance she could have.

The receptionist, in the disabled loo

Premier Icon bruneep
    Subscriber

make sure everyone leaves work safe.

sharkbait

I had something to write but it’s crap in comparison to some of the things others ^ have accomplished. Computer stuff may be clever but it’s not helping someone you don’t know back on their feet. 😳

Junkyard

Stopped people going to prison and helped them become productive members of society

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Stopped people going to prison and helped them become productive members of society

Are you Bullit?

rjj

Helped a student change his mind about joining the army – he is now studying Philosophy at University.

Premier Icon P20
    Subscriber

Most recent thing that springs to mind is resuscitating the father of the bride following a collapse mid speeches. That was the 2nd successful one of the day (very rare day at work) but very memorable. A day when I thought, that was a good day in the office

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Was that you? Did hear about that P20 that’s some great bit of work there.

samuri

Yeah, as above, anything I can say is going to sound a bit lame compared to some of the above.

What I have done though is imparted a huge amount of knowledge and experience to younger guys who are starting in the business. Not just technical skills but business and management skills. I’ve seen 5 people who I’m fairly certain I’ve helped, move on to better careers. Hopefully I did help.

Oh, and I met the wife at work as well.

Every time I take a prisoner to reception for release & he says, ‘thanks for you help Mr G, but I won’t be back’

wanmankylung

As above – any particularly rewarding things you’ve done at work?

grum

Playing at Manchester Jazz Festival wearing bike clothes and a full face helmet.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Yeah, as above, anything I can say is going to sound a bit lame compared to some of the above.

Don’t be daft. I’m in what I consider a very privilege position where I can see life changing things immediately. I won’t lie it’s one hell of a feeling and gives me a massive amount of pride. Sadly I may have to say goodbye to all that and become a full-time manager, unless I can find something suitable.

Well all do something that can help people feel good or change their life when at work.

Double post somehow?

Kuco

Me and a work mate saved a foal from drowning the other week.

peterfile

I often drive past hospitals, schools, universities, stadia, railways and motorways I’ve played a part in…but hands down the most rewarding thing I’ve ever done was help make tea for some lovely people 🙂

I’d advised an authority over a few years for their new mental health facility. Wonderful, state of the art facility. After the deal was long done (from my perspective) and construction was complete, I got a call out of the blue from the clinical director who I worked with on the project. He asked if we’d like to bring a few people along to help move the patients from the old facility to the new one. All of the heavy stuff was done, this was just to move a few personal effects and make a few cups of tea for the residents/patients.

We took a last walk around the old facility and let them say goodbye (it was pretty much how you’d imagine a 70’s mental health facility would look) and then jumped in a minibus over to the new facility. It was my first time on site since the fit out works, so it was new to me too. I helped a lady called Angela settle into her new room and made her tea while she put up some photographs. She’d been in the old (and not very nice) facility for nearly 20 years. The look on her face when she moved into the room was something i’ll never forget. I rarely cry, but i’m welling up now writing this, as I always do when I think of her and that day. That building meant a lot to me for very different reasons, but I got to share a wee bit of what it meant to other people that day too. Humbling stuff and made me proud to have played a part in it, to see that it was going to help so many people.

Seeing some of the Olympic stuff I did made me very proud too, especially being there and seeing it with my family. It was rewarding to see it being used, rather than just a deal/site/pain in the ass job.

psychobiker

Helped a colleague who i thought was having a heart attack, tried to keep him calm whilst waiting for the ambulance. Bricking it inside. the ambulance came and true enough he was having a heart attack. Admitted to hospital where he had a stent fitted. He then got releasedband had a further heart attack at the doctors. I think someone was telling him something. All good now.
    Also once spent part of day trying to find a colleague’s fingers after he cut them off on the panel saw. That was surreal.

Never work in a machine shop or be the first aider.

Premier Icon Trekster
    Subscriber

Taught a 50+yr old colleague to swim so that he could swim with his grand kids when on holiday. He was a proper white knuckle, scared of the water type having had a bad experience when a youngster.
    Also helped a workmate and his wife who were both polio sufferers start a swim club for disabled people. That has become a huge local success 😆

I’d advised an authority over a few years for their new mental health facility.

Where was this peterfile? Got a new facility in my town, played squash with the main man.

northernmatt

Most recent was I got someone off here a cheap bathroom suite. The reward was beer. Ta egf.

Every other day is the same as the last. Roll on September.

badllama

I did start writing a long and meaning full post but as I work in the private sector these days the most rewarding thing you’ve done at work for myself is getting the **** out of the place on time.

murf

Got a new job for an apprentice that was sacked for being immature and stupid. He’s just qualified as a sparky and he and and his Dad both phoned to say how much of a difference it made. Felt pretty chuffed.

When I was an apprentice I was working in a hotel leisure club and found a French dude collaped in the sauna. I dragged him out, checked his breathing and put him in the recovery position before getting help. I went to hospital with him to help translate for his family, not that I was any good at French! Was a pretty surreal experience for a 17 year old tbh and left me a bit shaken.

peterfile

Where was this peterfile? Got a new facility in my town, played squash with the main man.

It was a few years ago now, so probably not the same one. I’ll have to be fairly cryptic and say England. There’s an unresolved dispute which is still receiving a bit of media attention so don’t want my posts here to come up in a google search!

slowoldgit

Explained to the boss, who really didn’t want to know, just what a quick clay is. A bit like peterfile, but long time ago. I guess the building isn’t a building now, that site should have nothing heavier than grass on it.

Premier Icon el_boufador
    Subscriber

Trying my best not to be a dick (and stop other people being dicks) in the IT industry.

Harder than it sounds

tall_martin

I said goodbye to a bunch of kids I’ve taught for the last 2 years for a day a week. They have all got the grades they wanted to go on to do what they want.

After 2 years of badgering and badgering and having them fall out with each other and me on a weekly basis, they all said thanks and meant it.

🙂

Premier Icon firestarter
    Subscriber

Getting people out of fires or rtcs is always a good feeling but nothing will ever come close to giving my then 18 month old daughter resuscitation while the paramedics arrived after she collapsed and stopped breathing (which I learnt at work)

Dunno how the medical people deal with kids all the time it wrecks me dealing with them when we have to. Hats off

dingabell

Everyone here sounds a like they’ve done a whole lot more rewarding things than I have.
    I’m sure that given time to think, most of us have probably made even a small difference to someone else’s life even if they haven’t realised it at the time.
    Makes me feel quite small all the same.

rob1984p

There are some really good ones above.
    I find helping my students to find and successfully apply for good engineering apprenticeships pretty satisfying. Every now and again there is a kid that will seemingly apply themself to their work with me when they won’t for anybody else and I love the idea that I have helped stop a young person from wasting some of the best years of their life.

pomona

Helped a pilot of a light aircraft that was lost and above clouds to find a place he could descend safely and get visual reference to the surface again and then back to an aerodrome.

Premier Icon bearnecessities
    Subscriber

I managed to negotiate a business critical CR into an already full release.

Oh, wait. That means absolutely **** all to anyone!

Nice, proper stories above. 😀

cbike

Mentored 4 volunteers from youngsters taking part in shows through to accomplished amateur theatre technicians with aspirations for further college or Conservatoire type training.

It wasn’t even really part of my job.

Ambrose

In general, this: ‘Helped kids grow up and be successful.’
    It really is quite a buzz when twenty years down the line you meet someone who tells you how you inspired them to do something with their life. It becomes extra rewarding when that person is working SO hard in parallel with yourself to get the best for someone in common.

More specifically; developing the link between two schools at the opposite ends of the planet. And by dint of the student’s hard work (14- 16 year olds) kids from Wales and kids from Lesotho are now visiting each other on a regular basis.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘What's the most rewarding thing you've done at work?’ is closed to new replies.