Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 211 total)
  • What's the most petty thing that really grinds your gears and boils your wee?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Not having a contactless payment system – this is now a god given right so don’t look at me in disgust cos I’m tapping my card on your ancient crappy pos system – it’s your fault not mine!

This is funny in countries that haven’t rolled out contactless yet, but the machine has the transducer in it so it has the symbol, and you wave your card at it to no effect and the cashier thinks you are a complete imbecile who has no idea how to use a credit card terminal 🙂

Cougar

Can be amusing when the cashier’s never seen it used before too, the “wait, what just happened?” look.

sbob
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator

You have a staying-in jacket?

A smoking jacket, from Selfidge’s Man’s Shop, circa 1920. 8)

buckster
    Free Member

People who think retard is an acceptable term.

Its a widely used term of abuse, get over it.

Please may I have a coffee.

Honestly, the standard of pedants is dropping around here.

‘Can’ is more often used in adult to adult conversation, it politely requests the ability to provide the cup of coffee. ‘May’ along with ‘might’ suggests there is a smaller possibility in your request being granted. ‘May’ does sound more polite even though a tad weaker as a request of a serving person but I was not arguing that point. Such timidity post Brexit is alarming.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Prick!

ransos
    Free Member

When I was a kid, so was “mong” and “spacker”.

buckster
    Free Member

😆 ^^
    Never used spacker, Mong is apparently an abbreviation of Mongol and also widely used.

alexxx
    Free Member

“The Game”

ransos
    Free Member

Never used spacker, Mong is apparently an abbreviation of Mongol and also widely used.

“Mong” was a derogatory reference to Down’s syndrome. “Spacker” was a derogatory reference to cerebral palsy. Not really any different to calling someone a retard, when you think about it.

alexxx
    Free Member

Words shouldn’t dictate if you’re offended or not, the context should.

I usually find those offended are normally those that cannot process that quick enough so rationalise their response with being offended.

No one should ever go full retard…

scud
    Free Member

My next door neighbours, found out yesterday that they are moving away again, they moved to our sleepy village in Norfolk 9 months ago from Manchester area as they had loved the Norfolk coast when they holiday’ed here every year for 16 years.

Every time I have spoken to them, they have either stated:
    “it really smells of the country here”
    “broadband speed is slow”
    “no bloody mobile reception”
    “no public transport links, and they are retired and won’t be able to drive forever”
    “how long it takes to drive back to Manchester to see family when there are no motorways”

Unsurprisingly, living in a very rural area has issues, thankfully they are remedying all of the above, by moving back to Manchester suburbs, taking all SIX of their yappy small dogs with them!

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

True to a dergree, as a Welshie I can be derogatory about the Welsh, if I were black I could use terms that a honky couldn’t use. People with down syndrome could get away with retard too, I imagine, but wouldn’t expect them too, and not in a dergatory way as was used by buckster.
    HTH.
    Probably best not to try and put people down when one is clearly thick as pigcrap, innit?

Cougar

I remember a long and serious extraordinary assembly at school after one kid naively called another kid a “spaz” and it transpired that he was, in fact, actually spastic.

Whilst I completely agree with that sentiment, sadly the world does not work that way. “****” is simply a contraction of Pakistani after all, out of context it’s not offensive in the slightest, right?

Sometimes, it’s best just not to use some words, lest you look like a git.

elzorillo
    Free Member

Men in scarves.. dont ask me why.. I have no idea.

mikey3
    Free Member

People who start ‘I don’t like this band’ threads,wow really,you like some bands and not others,thats so interesting.Get over yourselves you attenion grabbing 12 year old ****.

Pierre

If the context is derogatory, the word has been chosen to cause offence. And the choice of word can say a lot about the author’s prejudices and lack of consideration for others.

In other words, don’t blame people for judging you if you use “retard” as an insult. See also “gay”, etc.

molgrips
    Free Member

I usually find those offended are normally those that cannot process that quick enough so rationalise their response with being offended.

No, it’s not that. We’re not ‘ooh gosh how awful’ offended.

The problem is that the use of terms like this is corrosive. It’s associating a physical or mental condition, a sexual persuasion or whatever with scorn and mockery. The people who belong to those groups are now linked subconsciously with negatives. Now most people can get over this when they meet a person for real and get to know that person, but it shouldn’t need getting over.

Cougar

Indeed.

<mod>If this is going to turn into the full half hour, can we move it to it’s own thread please?</mod>

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

STW threads that start as a bit of fun then get hijacked by hand wringers.

Flaperon

I remember a long and serious extraordinary assembly at school after one kid naively called another kid a “spaz” and it transpired that he was, in fact, actually spastic.

Did you go to the same school as me? Sat through a very similar assembly and had a lasting impact.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

STW threads that start as a bit of fun then get hijacked by hand wringers.

people who use ‘hand wringer’ as way of avoiding engaging with the issue

frankconway

Cougar – should be ‘…standard of pedantry…..’ 😆

Gary_M
    Free Member

Stretched logos
    People that walk at a slower pace than EVERYONE else in a crowd

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

This car is powered by angel dust.

Cougar

Cougar – should be ‘…standard of pedantry…..’

There must be some sort of Muphry’s Law equivalent for making pedantic comments on the Internet.

richmtb

SUVs used to be the preserve of people with more money than taste who don’t really like driving but want a fancy car. Now they are bloody everywhere.

I know what other people drive shouldn’t bother me but this does

scud
    Free Member

captainsasquatch – Member
    This car is powered by angel dust.

Saw a car where someone had taken a black marker to it to write:

“Powered by Angel Dust…….driven by Jabba the Hutt”

steve-g
    Free Member

We have a little pot in the kitchen for putting the cooking utensils in, my unwritten rule is that the only things that go in there are the 5 or 6 items that are the set, so the ladle, potato masher etc, they are obviously a set, they have the same handles and belong together.

What annoys me is the MiL putting things in there that quite clearly don’t belong in there, wooden spoons etc, they go in the draw, the draw she will have taken them out of everytime she has had to use them for the last 10 years, why are you putting these back in eh wrong place over and over again??

I thought that was as bad as it could get, then just recently, little things that actually fit inside the pot so you can’t even see them in there as they are down inside, peelers, pizza cutters, they have started being hidden in there, blade up – thanks for that.

Then, the final straw the things that do belong in the pot ending up in the draw because the pot is overfilled with rogue items.

Gary_M
    Free Member

they go in the draw, the draw she will have taken them out of

People who say ‘draw’ instead of drawer.

mogrim

they go in the draw

I just can’t picture your MiL doing that.

chakaping
    Free Member

We have a little pot in the kitchen for putting the cooking utensils in, my unwritten rule is that the only things that go in there are the 5 or 6 items that are the set, so the ladle, potato masher etc, they are obviously a set, they have the same handles and belong together.

What annoys me is the MiL putting things in there that quite clearly don’t belong in there, wooden spoons etc, they go in the draw, the draw she will have taken them out of everytime she has had to use them for the last 10 years, why are you putting these back in eh wrong place over and over again??

I thought that was as bad as it could get, then just recently, little things that actually fit inside the pot so you can’t even see them in there as they are down inside, peelers, pizza cutters, they have started being hidden in there, blade up – thanks for that.

Then, the final straw the things that do belong in the pot ending up in the draw because the pot is overfilled with rogue items.

At last, someone who really read the brief.

😀

slowoldman

Muphry’s Law

?

Nico
    Free Member

… any of them who fantasise about Nigel Farage leading the country go automatically into the Fascist camp.

I don’t think it dilutes the past;

Nigel Farage is a small-minded populist nob.
    Mussolini was a small-minded populist nob.
    General Franco was a small-minded populist nob.

No dilution going on there.

molgrips
    Free Member

GWR’s booking system.

Cougar

Muphry’s Law

?[/quote]

Basically, if you pick apart someone else’s typing / spelling, you’ll invariably spell something wrong yourself in the process.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muphrys_law

Seems it also applies to pedantry, so there should be a law for it. “Cougar’s Law of Pedantry” for instance, to pluck a random name out the air arbitrarily.

DrJ

Whilst we’re on flying, people who quite clearly take the piss with carry on luggage. You know what the size limits are so no, you can’t squeeze that 65l rucksack into the overhead locker.

Flight attendants who ask me to put my small backpack under the seat in front, where I was planning to put my feet, so that some muppet can put his 65l rucksack in the locker.

molgrips
    Free Member

to pluck a random name out the air arbitrarily.

Surely you mean “to pluck arbitrarily” ?

DrJ

Having to take out and manually scan in my tesco club card when I can pay by just touching my wallet on the scanner.

People clogging up the queue at the self-checkouts in Tesco by scanning clubcards and paying by card, instead of using PayQwiq on their phones.

tymbian
    Free Member

When I take the time to quote for work, which can often involve days of research, phone-calls etc.. and if I don’t get the work said person doesnr even have the decency to say thanks but no thanks.

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

That Amoy soy sauce bottles now have a much larger orifice. ensuring that half the contents of the bottle are sloshed all over my takeaway in a split second, utter W@NXERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 211 total)

The topic ‘What's the most petty thing that really grinds your gears and boils your wee?’ is closed to new replies.