whats the most 'dangerous' – mtb, road, track ?

Home Forum Bike Forum whats the most 'dangerous' – mtb, road, track ?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • whats the most 'dangerous' – mtb, road, track ?
  • Premier Icon iainc
    Subscriber

In context of enthusiast level. Dangerous being likliehood/regularity of significant crash, so say one that causes broken bones, ambulance, minor ops etc ?

Premier Icon cloudnine
    Subscriber

The easy ones where you are not concentrating..

falkirk-mark

Anyone you’re on evidently

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

If it was accidents-per-mile, I’d have thought MTB, track, road – but I’m not sure that track accidents are normally very serious (on account of there being fewer solid obstacles).

Jamie

Anyone you’re on evidently

I came here to say this^.

Premier Icon iainc
    Subscriber

Mark – I haven’t been on the road for a while 🙂

Thanks Jamie, I’ve still to crash the genesis 🙂 , almost scared to go out on it now !

aP
    Premier Icon iainc
    Subscriber

Scotroutes – more thinking per riding time

maxtorque

I’d say the probability of “falling off” is much much higher for MTB, but that the vast majority of those crashes result only in minor injuries. In terms of absolute numbers of people dying, road is a lot more dangerous, although how that relates if the deaths are normalised “per mile” then who knows!

falkirk-mark

Good, I may cycle to work tomorrow.

Premier Icon iainc
    Subscriber

Not thinking fatal, as that must be road. More the ones that are bad enough to have a real impact

_tom_

I’d say road although I’m yet to have a bad fall. Wiping out at 25-30+ mph on the road would suck!

Premier Icon zbonty
    Subscriber

The easy ones where you are not concentrating..

Sustrans route 4 near Slough. About three metres wide, straight line, pan flat and smooth. Still had me off the other week:much bashed up and a broken arm. What a dick!

plus one

Road due to speeds involved

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Road due to 1-ton boxes flying around at random.

Track crashes seem to up the horror level a bit- I’ve done myself some mischief on mountain bikes but never melted my clothes or slid along for a very long time with broken bones, or similar. MTB is like a bad-tempered cat, it’ll wound you frequently but usually not very much.

Premier Icon iainc
    Subscriber

thanks for replies. Personally I rate road as least likely to crash, worst outcome, MTB as most common, often not major, more slow tumbles. Track I think, maybe from personal recent crash, as higher risk of crashing than road by a long way, and injuries likely worse than MTB.

Premier Icon crazy-legs
    Subscriber

Track I think, maybe from personal recent crash, as higher risk of crashing than road by a long way, and injuries likely worse than MTB.

MTB crashes are almost always your fault. You’re far enough away from other riders that the main cause is you failing to judge something correctly. Injury levels vary from a bit of winding to requiring a helicopter.

Track crashes (or crashes during closed circuit crit races) are almost always the fault of an indeterminate other rider clipping wheels/bars etc and bringing down another 6-8 riders in the process. Track crashes are mostly fairly low impact – most people fall into the track and slide. Occasional broken bones as a result of the impact, that’s usually it. And IME track crashes are very rare, it’s just that when they do happen they can be quite spectacular in terms of bringing down large numbers of people.

Premier Icon BoardinBob
    Subscriber

Glentress has a less than good reputation with the nearest A&E by all accounts. It’s apparently referred to as “that bloody place”.

cheers_drive

If you’re talking about risk of death or very serious injury I’d say road. MTB has the most chance of an accident or breakage.
    HOWEVER this can happen on the track so it wins 😯

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

MTB is like a bad-tempered cat, it’ll wound you frequently but usually not very much.

Best analogy ever.

Depends, I suspect road is the safest at your nominal “enthusiasts”* level. I’ve known 3 people break bones this winter, but that’s a disproportionate number, and two were matching left clavicles whilst riding a tandem!

Track probably has the most accidents per mile, as a mile is 4-8 laps, and watching the raceing they seem to crash every other lap! But that’s not a fair compaison, does anyone ride track and not race? I know a few roadies who use the local one with road bikes at open sessions as an alternative to the turbo, but I’d not say they were “enthusiasts”.

I’d say average MTB’ing is about as dangerous as average Pony Trecking, people over state the risks of relatively rare accidents.

At a racing level 4X or BMX must win without a doubt!

*I’m taking this to mean, spent a lot of money, but doesn’t race and sit’s middling to average in a group ride.

Premier Icon iainc
    Subscriber

tinas – yes, I think you’ve pretty much got it there. On your point

does anyone ride track and not race?

, yes, at my local track (Glasgow), a lot do, self included. There are less crashes on non race ‘drop ins’, and most of those that do occur seem to be as a result of varying skill levels on track at same time. yes, everone has to have passed ‘accredidation’ but there do appear to be some who are still ‘bad drivers’.

dragon

They can all be pretty bad if you go down hard. Chris Hoy was talking about having wood splinters in his legs from crashes years ago!! I’ve seen some proper horror crashes on the road mind.

Premier Icon seosamh77
    Subscriber

I’d say road, I have much more fear of falling on tarmac that I do when offroad.

jekkyl

the stone built track on the borrowdale bash where both myself and my friend came a cropper with bloodied legs, on the way over/down to castle cragg.

jeffm

The road for me is the most worrying, buy that I mean other road users not the road itself.

Premier Icon iainc
    Subscriber

aye, road is my biggest fear from point of view of potential injury. I am coming round to point of view that track is highest risk of a fall in the first place due very close proximity of others.

cfinnimore

100% that trail you’ve been riding for years,in all weather, every day.

That’s the one that’ll kill you.

You think that it’s be just the same as always…

TREE

globalti

On the mountain bike I wasn’t having a good day if I hadn’t fallen off two or three times, so that would give me a crash rate of approximately one every 10-15 miles. In over 7000 miles of road riding I haven’t fallen off once. However a road crash is likely to hurt or maim me a lot worse than a low-speed tumble onto mud or heather.

Premier Icon booktownman
    Subscriber

I’ve ridden down Bolivia’s ‘death road’. It needn’t be deadly, unless you do stuffs like this!

http://vimeo.com/82469026

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

I wonder why track riders don’t use those undershorts with hard foam pads on the hips..?

Premier Icon richmtb
    Subscriber

Road.

Crashes on the MTB are relatively frequent but 50%of the time I can pick myself up without even a bruise.

Hitting the tarmac always hurts, even if its a much rarer experience, add in other vehicles and road is definitely more dangerous

fasthaggis

In over 25 years of cycling ,I have fallen off 5 times on tarmac .
    Three of the falls were caused by car drivers and the other two were black ice.
    Hundreds of times off road 🙂

poonprice

I’d say road although I’m yet to have a bad fall. Wiping out at 25-30+ mph on the road would suck!

Wiping out at 30mph sucks anytime, I came off earlier in the year at this speed on the then baked hard clay, that equalled broken collar bone and wasted 9months of the year.

Premier Icon iainc
    Subscriber

I wonder why track riders don’t use those undershorts with hard foam pads on the hips..?

some tracks require 2 top layers (Manchester) but not Glasgow. I landed on face and shoulder on Sat – my outer jersey ( a nice short sleeved one) has a big hole that looks like its been burned by an iron. Underneath ‘Underarmour Cool’ LS base layer is ok apart from a wee wrinkly bit. Deffo did its job…

Track and road in equal measures due to the speed of racing. Then mtb. Not sure why i looked at this thread *pukey face*

Premier Icon iainc
    Subscriber

Really good answers, thanks all. I guess I’m feeling a bit accident prone these days after a couple of ambulance ending crashes. At least I got my mug into this months MBR ‘old blokes’ – in the old days that used to get you a free helmet 🙂 TGF Giro crash replacement policy !

Omar Little

A crash every couple of races at the track league a few weeks back…its not usually that bad though.

Ive resigned myself that a crash is inevitable at some point however at the same time in the last 14 months ive done about 2000 miles at drop ins and DST sessions and been in 60+ races and it hasnt happened yet, whereas i rarely go more than a couple of mtb rides without a crash of some sort. Most of the time they are harmless though.

Omar Little

Btw there is a west of scotland track training session on 16th March if you or any other gmbc riders are interested…4 hours for £10

Premier Icon iainc
    Subscriber

Omar, thanks yes, had seen that, reckon it would end in divorce if I went 🙂

Yep, always dreaded, now done…. !

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘whats the most 'dangerous' – mtb, road, track ?’ is closed to new replies.