Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • What's the London to Brighton like?
  • Lifer
    Free Member

Is it as packed and awful as I fear it might be? (Onroad)

MrSmith
    Free Member

full of nodders on mtb’s. avoid.

MrTall
    Free Member

I enjoyed it the twice i did it.

However, make sure if you do it to start as early as possible as it gets packed on the ditchling beacon and it becomes unrideable as people don’t understand the concept of walking on one side and leaving room for riders.

I gave up after they changed the trains to get back and it became a nightmare.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    yossarian
    Free Member

It’s a cycling event for people that don’t usually cycle.

wwaswas

It’s a cycling event for people that don’t usually cycle.

this.

not done it myself but from what I’ve seen if you want to go on a 50 mile bike ride at a slowish pace and enjoy a bit of an atmosphere then do it.

If you want a fast ride from London to Brighton then start very early with the tdf wannabes or do it on a different day.

tonyg2003

I do it most years and have for the last 15. I ride down with a group to Brighton, we start ASAP and avoid the crowds, have breakfast on the seafront and ride home. A great century ride every year.

Riding with the crowds is an experience (I’ve done it a couple of times). It’s more dangerous than the most hectic road race sprint finish, you’ll probably have to walk up 2-3climbs since everyone else does and it will take you ages. Then the transport home (unless you ride back :D) is a nightmare. On the plus side you usually see some amazing sights somewhere, you can stop at the pubs and the comrardarie is great.

Lifer
    Free Member

That’s what I thought, director has entered a work team and as I ride a bike has kind of assumed I’d love be doing it.

hora
    Free Member

Century as in miles or km’s?

tonyg2003

Miles – of course. One year we road to Ashdown forest as a detour on the way back. 250km.

Lifer
    Free Member

I think an early start is out of the question

rossrobot
    Free Member

Maybe not relevant as you’ve already been entered but i’d agree with wwaswas – do it on a different day.

I did last year with a group of 8 mates – managed to piece together a slightly extended route that was mostly single lane country roads – was an absolute blast.

MrAgreeable

Second what everyone says about the volume of traffic and the amount of people blatantly riding a bike for the first time that year. It’s quite scary in places, but it’s a fun day out too. We camped along the coast near Angmering, then rode the rest of the South Downs Way the next day.

Jerome
    Free Member

START EARLY !!
    Finishes about 5 minutes walk from me in Brighton – pop in have a beer..

Lifer
    Free Member

I live on the downs link so tempted to put some semi slicks on the Meta 5 and doing it laid back on the MTB rather than trying to dawdle on the road bike.

theflatboy
    Free Member

i’ve done it quite a few times, mostly on the large scale BHF organised ride. Definitely echo what others have said, the volume of traffic can get a bit frustrating at points, such as the odd hill you have to walk up because it’s got too blocked up.

mostly it’s all good fun, though. ultimately it’s a long bike ride so what’s not to like? 🙂

edit – also, to add, i’m registered on the first BHF organised L2B night ride, 26/27 May. If anyone else is doing it, let me know!

hora
    Free Member

We’ve seen it a couple of times by coincidence/accident. On the beachfront one year no one could move/gridlocked. Silly really.

Secondtime was on the train back. We were sat looking out at a great deal of cyclists on the platform being told that none of them would be allowed on. That must have been the first year the train company became ‘funny’ with them as there was supposed to have been extra storage laid on specifically for that day.

theflatboy
    Free Member

yeah that’s also true about the trains being a bit of an issue these days. generally when i’ve done it we’ve sent a sister/girlfriend/random ahead with the car to meet us at the end and drive back with bikes on the car.

belugabob
    Free Member

Definitely very crowded, but this is only a problem if you were hoping to clean the hills and generally make progress in an unimpeded manner.

You can ask for an early start but, like us, you may get a time two hours later than you wanted, then see loads of people at the start who got an early time but couldn’t be arsed to turn up for their slot and just mosey along when it suits them. 🙁

With a bunch of mates you can either treat it as a social day out experience, or just ride the route independently on a different day and make a bit of a race of it.

EDIT: As far as I know, bikes are not allowedon London or Brighton bound trains on the day, so you have to arrange your own transport, or use the (pricey) BHF supplied coaches.

timnwild

It’s a great atmosphere, but not a serious ride, and unless you’re right at the front, be prepared to d some standing around – the route uses back country lanes (quite rightly) but it means that when people hurt themselves, as they inevitably do, there can be long holdups while ambulances go down said roads to collect the injured.

Last official one I did took nearly seven hours, with only 4.5 of those actually riding.

jambalaya
    Free Member

The Mrs did it twice, she enjoyed it due to the mass of pople and the closed roads (all apart from last few miles into Brighton). It was the only times she ever rode the bike. The second time she didn’t even do any training. I always collected her so to avoid the bus/train fiasco of trying to get home.

sputnik
    Free Member

It can be a lot of fun. Do it. Doesn’t matter if you have a late start time, just arrive early and leave with the first group. Your time wont be recorded correctly, who cares.
    So, if you start at 6 AM then you can be in Brighton by about 10 AM. Job done.
    I have done it twice. Singlespeed first time and pedalled up Ditchling, well chuffed I was 🙂
    Then did it on a road bike and had a hoot.
    JUST START EARLY

sputnik
    Free Member

Wanted to add: get your boss to organise transport back. A van can be rented for a day for not a lot of money.

MrSmith
    Free Member

most of the people riding it have little spatial awareness and have no idea how to ride in a group, it’s like a commuting nightmare with people who only drag the bikes out of the shed once a year and there are always lots of accidents.
    best thing to do is donate to the BHF and ride your bike somewhere else.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

I did it a couple of years ago. There wss a group of 8 of us entered together with the same team name but we all got different start times and we weren’t allowed to start until the latest time. The crowding was horrendous – saw several big crashes where people just stopped in the middle of the road in a steep descent. Lots of standing around waiting fot roads to clear and walking up virtually evry hill
    Genuinely the most unpleasant day I’ve ever had on a bike.

MrAgreeable
    Lifer
    Free Member

Beginning to change my mind again. My tolerance for dumbasses is unrelentingly low.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I must say I never had a problem getting back. Bike on a lorry, self on a following coach. Easy.

llama

Take your time, stop at all the pubs, ride your slowest bike.

pickle
    Free Member

There are loads of L2B organised charity rides rather than doing the big Heart foundation one. I don’t get what all the snobbery is about though to be honest, it’s a charity fun ride not a bloody section of the tour ffs. I’ve done it on a BMX and it took 8 hours.

I agree getting back can be a bit of a pain, we drove down the night before and left our car there over night. finish your ride and then dang your bikes on your own car 🙂

pickle
    Free Member

Forgot to add, as someone else has already said…….take it easy and just enjoy the atmposphere, it’s a great crack and you also get to see some fit ladies along the way on bikes 😀

10pmix
    Free Member

For my sins I’ve done it about 6 times within work groups. I did it last year after a gap of a few years and it seemed worse than I remember. So busy even with an early start (and avoiding the start line at clapham common as always by joining just down the road a bit).

It really is for cyclists who don’t ride for the rest of the year and many of whom seem to ignore the official advice to have a well maintained bike.

So you need to be on your guard all the time for the most crazy behaviour/ events. Those riding slowly hard on the right listening to ipods was a constant problem as they have no awareness of what’s going on. People walk on the slightest incline so be prepared to stop. I managed to stay on the whole ride but only with a lot of track standing. Lots of polite requests to get by seem to work fine but are constant.

Seemed to be a lot of accidents last year including one just down from the start line involving a car and some pretty nasty ones on the descents.

The climb up Ditchling last year was so crowded that it was hard to stay on the bike. Not seen that before. Tempers were fraying as the walkers didn’t think to yield.

Trains ban cycles and pick up by car using the park and ride means a big queue for the bus back to the racecourse where the car park is. Took us hours last year to get home to London.

All that said:

1. These are just observations and not complaints. Enthusiasts cannot complain because they shouldn’t be riding it as enthusiasts. Its not an event for them. Racing down through the continuous bike traffic shouting and moaning to other riders is just ridiculous.

2.If you are doing it as part of a group and plan it to be a social and lazy day with no rush and plenty of time to get home then do it and you’ll probably enjoy the day.

enveetee
    Free Member

Ms Enveetee and I have done it every year for the last 25 or 26 years on our tandem.

We live in Brighton, about 12 years ago or so they stopped taking bikes on trains so getting up to Clapham was a pain – Now we cycle both ways, leave Brighton at 6 (ish) Egg McMuffin brekky on the way, arrive Clapham about 12 ish. Then cycle back. The roads are less crowded mid afternoon, we still get in at 5ish or so

It’s a bike ride for a good cause, not a race, a fantastic day out – don’t miss it

chief31
    Free Member

the best thing to do is not bother officialy entering and just dropping some money to bhf or your chosen charity.
    garanteed start time then.
    dont leave clap common any later than 7am or you gonna be walking up hills while people who dont normally ride get off and die by the roadside.
    all in all its a great day out and ive been doing it since about 1998.
    and ditchling beacon is one mofo hill you need to do b4 you die for sure.
    youll be sweating like a dog by the top but its all worth it when you get ther and admire the view and achievement on riding not walking which ive done both when the hill is rammed with retarded non bikers who just get off right in front of you. i dont know if anyone else found this but its harder on the legs to walk it than ride.
    opinions please. thanx.

oldgit
    Free Member

It’s a frickin nightmare.
    Loads of walkers, loads of crashes i.e woman slams on the brakes and says ‘ooh look a windmill’

chief31
    Free Member

Well worth the climb to the top and a very enjoyable day out.
    If your looking to set times and have a race then forget it but if a few burgers and a good
    laugh is what you need then go for it.

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve only ever done it (3 times) on my MTB, stopping at the pubs and having fun, and that it is. I really don’t get people who start at 5am so then can do it in 3 hours – why not just go for a local road ride!?

and ditchling beacon is one mofo hill you need to do b4 you die for sure.

Having not done it for about 6 years, and never without the L2B crowds, I did it on a long-route-home commute in the summer, was surprised how easy it was really, significantly more so than many hills on the North Downs!

TiRed

Do it at night instead

wwaswas

was surprised how easy it was really

me too, admitedly it was only after a 20 mile loop from home rather than the full L2B and I had a compact chainset fitted but it’s a lot easier than a number of the offroad climbs along the sdw.

As an aside, I went down Ditchling Beacon sat in the basket of a knackered butchers bike when I was about 15. We kept getting faster and faster as the brake blocks had caught fire (although I wasn’t told the reason for the extra speed until afterwards ‘I didn’t want to worry you’). In retrospect possibly the silliest thing I’ve done on a bicycle. A number of motorists coming up the hill seemed to agree looking at their faces paling as we rounded another corner, trailing smoke and laughing like maniacs.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘What's the London to Brighton like?’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts