Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 102 total)
  • Whats the legality of parking across someone gate/driveway access ?
  • redthunder
    Free Member

Some knuckle brain parked in front of nans house for 2 days blocking her drive.

Finally talked to them today and they claimed they had no where to park and they had to got to a party WTF.

Other than common coutesy and it’s just not cricket.

How does one stand legally

allthepies
    Free Member

Nuke the fecker from orbit.

uplink
    Free Member

If the drive is empty, there’s not much you can do but if there’s a car in it, they’re causing an obstruction

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    KINGTUT
    Free Member

I don’t think there is any actual law, but I could be wrong.

However I have had the same problem in the past and I have fallen out with both of my neighbours because they and their friends and family are dumb ****.

I even once returned home to find a neighbours friend had parked their car in in my parking space in front of my garage.

Some people are selfish retards.

bassspine
    Free Member

call the police about the fact that it’s been dumped by a man ‘acting suspiciously’

Cougar

If it’s a dropped kerb, it’s illegal to park in front of it.

If it’s not a dropped kerb, it’s illegal to cross it as a driveway.

(standard disclaimer)

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

However I have had the same problem in the past and I have fallen out with both of my neighbours because they and their friends and family are dumb ****.

I’m sure your neighbours love you too! 😉

I love ‘parking wars’. Causes much entertainment.

It’s out of order being selfish mind; someone might be disabled and reliant on their car for mobility.

redthunder
    Free Member

They did irrate me on my nan’s behalf.

Is it true you can let someones tyres down as it’s not criminal damage, or just BS.

Police do know about the irksome tard as they have had run in’s with other neighnours.

There from the new genration of being unable to accept NO as an answer and being asked not to block the gate anymore. All I got after that was grumpy **** off and the door slammed on me.

PS My nan is 96 and when she get’s picked for here day clubs etc. she needs access.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member

I’m sure your neighbours love you too!

I’m sure they hate me, but they don’t **** with the parking any more, still I’m moving soon and my new house will have ample private parking.

WTF
    Free Member

This happened to me once whilst my car was in my driveway.
    The car blocking was parked with its wheels pointing outwards from kerb so I managed to push the car,handbrake wasn`t fully on, so that it was away from my drive but it was now parked across the road blocking it entirely.
    🙂

Onzadog
    Free Member

The police can ticket for obstruction. If they feel so inclined, the police can ticket any vehicle left on the public highway that is not in a bay permitting the vehicle to be there by legal order. Parking on street is not something you have a right to, it’s something that is tolerated. The public highway is dedicated for the purpose of passing and repassing only. Most police forces will consider acting with a bit of a push if it’s an actually obstruction, ie, you want to get into or out of, your driver way. They’re normally not interested if it’s a perceived obstruction, ie, it’s over your drive but you don’t need to get in or out. Local Authorities can’t do anything about this sort of thing right now but some are looking to use section 6 of the 2004 traffic management act.

HTH

Letting someone’s tyres down could be classed as interference with a vehicle so best not to.

chiefgrooveguru

It is indeed illegal. Call the council and get them clamped/towed/ticketed if it happens again.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I found blocking their drive with a skip helped them understand the concept a little better. not big not clever not popular but effective

+1 for parking wars why do people think they own the road outside their house? Different if it is actually your land though.

project
    Free Member

Just tell them that theres a printer on the back seat,with a FED EX sticker on the box.,

KINGTUT
    Free Member

+1 for parking wars why do people think they own the road outside their house? Different if it is actually your land though.

Indeed, on both occasions it has involved my land, squabbling over kerbside space is pretty pointless.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Speak to the local PCSO’s. They’re often responsible for parking infringements and a cup of tea with your nanna (assuming she is a cute nanna not a Catherine Tate version) will make sure if the problem happens again they’ll come & ticket the ignorant bastards.

stucol
    Free Member

Its very simple really.
    Just jack the car up onto blocks so the wheels are only just off the ground.
    Hopefully you will get to see the look on their faces when they try to drive off.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Recently my neighbour parked over our drive. Didn’t really bother me at first as I wasn’t planning to go out, though I did think “idiot” as there was about 15 car spaces in either direction, they just chose to park as close to their house as possible, even if it meant blocking my drive. So when I went to go out a bit later I asked them politely if they could move it. It took them a while to identigy it was actually their car, then they moved it under duress, without even speaking to me or looking me in the face. I put up with their bloody enormous van parkout out front most days, next time I’ll just drive through the damn thing.

Spongebob
    Free Member

I’m aware of the rules regarding obstructed driveways, but considering how mindlessly selfish it is to park like this, I can’t understand why the authorities don’t make it an instant penalty ticket and even points on the offender’s licence.

There are plenty of traffic attendants eager to write issue tickets for less grave “offences”, so why not give them an opportunity to be useful for a change?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

spongebob. It is not an offence a parking warden can ticket for – similar to pavement parking. Any attempt to widen teh powers of traffic wardens is met with howls of rage as its a war on motorists apparently to get them to obey the law

Oggles
    Free Member

Car jack + wheel dollies. Then wedge it somewhere (between a lamp post and a wall, for example) 😈

Spongebob
    Free Member

Car jack + wheel dollies. Then wedge it somewhere (between a lamp post and a wall, for example)

Or let it roll away. 😈

DT78
    Free Member

Everytime my retired neighbour drives his car (rarely) he cones off the curb outside his house. Makes me irrationally want to move them and park there on purpose.

One time my car and anothers hadn’t left him enough space to park, so I got a knock on the door at 7am on a sunday asking me to move my car as he wanted to clean his car. It was pissing with rain.

Some people!

steveh

When the police have been out to my drive when it’s been blocked by people they’ve always been very helpful but I was told by them (twice by different people) that it’s only an offence if your cars on your drive and you want to leave and cannot.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I have no experience of this ‘dropped kerb’ clause quoted above, otherwise my experience is that what the council and/or Police can do is fairly limited. If the car is in good condition, road legal and not abandoned, if it is not parked on yellow lines, on the pavement, dangerously, impeding the carriageway etc etc. Then the council and/or Police can do very little. Maybe, the Council and/or Police could have a quiet word with the person about being considerate etc, but no immediate direct and permanent action. Failing the person seeing the error of their ways, the Council/Police may quote “it’s a civil matter” and you’d have to get a lawyer to take out civil action against the inconsiderate parker.
    We are having similar problems at work and this is my experience, the landlord is having to take out a civil case and get a court injunction against the person, presumably the Police can then act (with the court injunction) if the person continues doing what he’s doing.

coffeeking
    Free Member

spongebob. It is not an offence a parking warden can ticket for – similar to pavement parking. Any attempt to widen teh powers of traffic wardens is met with howls of rage as its a war on motorists apparently to get them to obey the law

To be fair, I’ve twice been ticketed wrongly by traffic wardens, and both times had them overturned. I’d not trust them to look after their own daily routine, let alone widen their powers.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’d not trust them to look after their own daily routine

Because of two mistakes? That’s very rude. Do you never make mistakes then?

You can’t even jump off a little wall in a children’s playground, and you think you’re better than someone else??

wrightyson
    Free Member

Wrong tj! It Is an offence in halifax anyway. My sister has had load of trouble and ha now had 3 cars flown away from outside her house and a few ticketed for parking too near the corner at the junction!!??

bigbloke
    Free Member

If it is an offence to block you in on your drive and you want to go out then does that still work in reverse when you get home and wish to park on your drive but someone has parked across it?. In my opinion that seems to be blocking access to your “land” sort of thing?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Parking on street anywhere can be classed as obstruction of the highway. Unfortunately, most police have not been properly instructed in the matter. Either that or they don’t want to do the paper work. You can only park on the road in a marked bay. Last time my road was obstructed, the police told me it was down to the council. I took the time to explain the real fac ts to the woman on the phone and had an officer there in ten minutes.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

wrightyson – parking too near a junction is a different offence.

It does not have anything to do with what I said

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Luckily I have considerate neighbours and there’s a residents parking scheme in our road on weekdays due to the nearby collage. But my next door neighbour has the ideal tools for combating inconsiderately parked asshats, namely one of these

(Well, more than one actually. He teaches LR mechanics all over the world, and builds them for fun in his spare time!)

And it’s equipped with one of these –

After trying the normal polite way, I wouldn’t hesitate to drag the damned thing out of the way. In fact, I’ve seen 4 blokes pick up the back end of a Sierra and move it out of the way in London once, when I was working on Limehose Link. It’s not hard…… 😈

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I used to park occasionally outside a neighbour’s house as she always parked behind her property on private land and away from traffic. So now the mad old cow parks on the road (putting her car at more risk of damage) and leaves her private space empty just to stop me (or anyone else) from parking there.

hels
    Free Member

Well, there is another perspective on this.

If you have your kerb dropped so you can park on your front yard, you are taking away an available parking space from the masses. In urban areas where parking is tight, I can see why people might get annoyed about this, as you are effectively bagging your space so nobody else can park on that bit of road.

Not that I have ever parked in from of somebody’s dropped kerb as that would be ignorant, but I did have the pleasure of circling the block in Edinburgh many years ago finding more and more of these space baggers with an empty yard, and less and less parks.

Woody
    Free Member

Must have been some party !

Wasn’t there a ruling about this a little while ago due to people parking in an area close to an airport while they went on holiday?

Couple of bits of info HERE

As your Granny needed access to get in and out of her house, looks like the police is the way to go. I know when a colleague found his garage blocked at 5:30 one morning the police took great delight in ‘loudly’ waking the moron who then had to move his 4×4 and stand in the cold while they thoroughly checked the vehicle and his details !

hora
    Free Member

Let two tyres down. It wont happen again.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

If your gran’s 96 then she wont be driving. So why exactly does she need to get her car in and out of her drive?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

You can’t just drop your kerb – you have to apply for permission from the council and have the work done by an approved contractor.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

pwn it with a Knight XV

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

So why exactly does she need to get her car in and out of her drive?

Why not find out by reading our exciting thread, right here!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 102 total)

The topic ‘Whats the legality of parking across someone gate/driveway access ?’ is closed to new replies.