Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What's the largest size I can print this?
  • Kit
    Free Member

Realistically, how big can I print this out before it looks rubbish? And is there somewhere online I can get it done? I'd love a massive canvas version…

Full size here (3771×2514): http://www.flickr.com/photos/gingerfox/4355009966/sizes/o/in/set-72157622990738057/

Ti29er
    Free Member

Once it goes beyond it's native size it's an enlagement, i.e 120%, 200% etc, so you will start to notice some loss of quality.
    However, it's going onto a canvass so it'll be less critical due to the texture of the medium.
    You might like to get your verticals sorted out forst and get them there clomns all vertical instaed of falling into each other!

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Digital artwork onto canvas ans such is normally 1/4 size 300dpi – so you could comfortably print this up to about a metre and a third in width without it getting pixelated.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    simon_g

100dpi is about as low as you'd want to go, assuming you're not going to looking at it up really close.

So just over 3ftx2ft. You could go bigger, but it all depends on how much blockiness up close is acceptable.

crazy-legs

Beaten to it – horizon is wonky!
    Sort it out exactly in RAW, save as largest best quality JPEG and send it to http://www.photobox.com That size should print up to about A1 or so.
    They've done some good work for me.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

IME on canvas even 100 pixels per inch of print will look good. So I'd say 37×25 inches. You can get them done by Pyramid imaging in Leith.

You can go even bigger, but the result will depend partly on where youre going to hang it (how far back you'll be standing).

Ti29er
    Free Member

The image is pretty soft to start with, so I've asked a pal for you who is a printer.
    I've been pleasantly surprised in the past just how good even a 1mb file at 72dpi taken on a phone can look on canvass, so you might well be plesantly surprised by the response.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Can you really go as low as 100dpi? I want to get some of the GF's pics printed on canvas, but my rule of thumb has always been 300dpi.

Kit
    Free Member

1) I have wonky eyesight so can never get a stright photo
    2) Has already been straightened but won't make much difference because:
    3) I obviously wasn't standing bang in the centre so the shot's at an angle already so unless image manipulation software can rotate the 2D image in 3D space so change its perspective there's not much I can do
    4) There's a lot of distortion due to the focal length
    5) Its about the message anyway… 😀

And cheers Ronan – will check them out.

EDIT: And thanks for everyone elses' inputs too 🙂

user-removed
    Free Member

Yup – for reasons I don't fully understand, canvas printers seem to print at a much lower resolution – most of my other printing is done at the benchmark 300 dpi.

Try these guys;

canvasprintsonline

They're the cheapest, decent quality printers I've found for canvases. I've used them several times for clients on a budget and been very impressed by the print quality (no relationship with them whatsoever – just a happy customer!). Cheaper than Photobox and IMO much better.

catfood
    Free Member

A chap at Loxleys told me that a good rule of thumb is a meg an an inch as thats as high as thay can repro electronically, for normal paper that is, so if your camera has a 20 meg chip dont go above 20 inches or so along the long side of your print or the quality will start to drop off, no idea about canvas though it makes sense that you can go much bigger for obvious reasons.

Ti29er
    Free Member

My printer says:
    Had a look at the image. It has been jpeg'd down at a medium setting and is 700kb closed but opens at 22mb. Canvas is very forgiving because of the rough texture and it will print fine

Had a look and re-sized up to 40" wide. Since the neon image is so strong and the background is not sharp anyway there is no problem. Would print at that size.

Kit
    Free Member

So 40" max? Cheers!

user-removed
    Free Member

catfood – Member
    A chap at Loxleys told me that a good rule of thumb is a meg an an inch as thats as high as thay can repro electronically,

By 'meg', do you mean megapixel? If so, I'd have to disagree with the Loxley's guy – my D300 has 12.1 megapixels and I frequently print 20×16" prints and larger with absolutely no loss of quality. And I'm a fussy beggar – I chose my printers by getting test prints at various sizes from several companies, getting my loupe (magnifier) out and being ridiculously picky.

Ti29er
    Free Member

I've seen 1mb files from a camera produce surprisingly good large (16×12) prints on canvass.
    No one was more surprised than I!

M6TTF
    Free Member

User removed – he means a megabyte

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What's the largest size I can print this?’ is closed to new replies.