Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • What’s the largest item you have fitted in your car?
  • Greybeard
    Free Member

Four bikes and four humans inside my Passat estate, although two were children

I can beat that – four bikes and four adults in my Focus estate. Or four adults and 4 days canoe camping kit (plus two open canoes on the roof rack).

hamishthecat
    Free Member

70 paving slabs in a Bimmer 5 series Touring.  Self-levelling suspension still worked during and after!

maccruiskeen

American style fridge freezer…….it was collect or pay £50 for delivery

What car? I’m considering this myself…

I was once passed by someone with a fridge-freezer in the passenger seat of their Triumph Spitfire. Roof down, obvs.

hjghg5
    Free Member

We’ve got a fair amount into the Berlingo but the most impressive feat was 4 adults and a bike in a Citroen c1.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

A 3 seat leather sofa in the back of my Mondeo estate, & years ago 3 Bultaco Sherpa trials bikes in the back of a Mini Pickup.

dannyh
    Free Member

On my daily commute, other drivers often try to get a whole other car in my boot. Does that count?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

3 waveboards and a few rigs inside an XR3i. 2 pc mast would only fit diagonally and if I shut the tailgate too hard the mast would crack the windscreen.

squirrelking
    Free Member

he reckoned no way I could fit it all in

DickBarton

6 bodies, full-size Alsatian, a Wacker plate and a few more tools – Berlingo…was/is a thing of awesomeness!

matt_outandabout

four bikes and four adults in my Focus estate. Or four adults and 4 days canoe camping kit (plus two open canoes on the roof rack).

I’ll raise you two open canoes on roof, four bikes on back, one bike inside, two weeks camping and kit, 7 paddles, 10 helmets, river kit, 5 of family_oab and 2000 mile round trip to South of France… Although it was a Galaxy😎

tomparkin

6 bodies, full-size Alsatian, a Wacker plate and a few more tools

Is this a confession of some description?

I got three built-in wardrobes-worth of bits into the Octavia. The folks my wife bought said bits from were terribly dubious and suggested I go hire a van, but in the end everything fit.

timber

Transporting my wife’s harp is always a tight fit. It doesn’t so much fill the car as just require the maximum space in every dimension in the one way it will fit whilst being rather delicate and worth more than the car. Even tricky in the Mondeo and that swallowed a 6′ dining table and a sofa.

winston
    Free Member

We once had a bloke pick up a Hobie tandem kayak which is about 4.5m long and weighs 45kg with a 20 year old Skoda with no roof rack. Just tied it on with some 20 year old rope. I offered him some straps for free but he didn’t want them. Kayak cost 5k+

I currently have a playboat plus kit in my Nissan leaf with enough room to take three kids to school tomorrow morning as well.

dawson

This reminds me of a photo that TINAS (I think) put up with his bike on the passenger seat with the roof down in an MG, in the rain

RustySpanner

Motorbike (500cc) in a Morris Minor.

Some dismantling was necessary…

MZ 250 (mine 😶) in a Reliant Robin (not mine).

Broke down on the M61 and managed to push to Salford.

Only had 10p in change and Tommy Clines was the only one who answered the phone. 🙂 A LOT of dismantling was involved.

johndrummer
    Free Member

Ford Kuga mk1. Big car on the outside, Focus on the inside…

six piece drum kit (kick, snare, 2 rack toms, two floor toms), two bags of stands, bag of cymbals, Marshall head & 4×12 cab, three guitars, bag of assorted guff and one lead singer/guitarist. Plus myself as driver.

although perhaps getting the same amount of gear minus the 4×12 cab into a Citroen C4 was more of a challenge

timba
    Free Member

A Giant 😎

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Mondeo 07

2 humans, one dog. 2 bikes with kit. 4 man tent. 2 chairs. Cool bag. Gas canister & stove. Fold up table. 3 casss of beer. 2 bag size of shopping. 2 suitcases. Dog crate. Duvet & 4 pillows. Loads of towels.

The dog even had room to sleep on his bed in the boot, no wonder that things known as the cardis. There was room for more gear too. Incredible.

136stu
    Free Member

Up and over garage door to the tip – had to fold it into quarters though.

tjagain

Puch m2 sports ‘ped in a 2cv

winston
    Free Member

Thats easy   2cv seats come out, even the passenger AND the drivers seat and its massive!

chiefgrooveguru

The heaviest was most of the concrete panels from a prefab garage – slabs of it up to the window line in a Civic. Suspension was on the bump stops and it never returned to its original ride height. Doh!

chakaping
    Free Member

Slightly OT, but my Dad and I once got the entire contents of a Camden Passage antique silverware shop in a Honda Acty van. That was a fraught drive across London.

We were rennovating the place, honest officer.

lesgrandepotato

The Engine.

daern
    Free Member

One that I forgot – I once collected a load of solid oak floor boards from a local supplier. They filled the back of my XC90, with the seats down and the tailgate open, from floor to roof and from window to window – there wasn’t the smallest gap anywhere in the car and it was hanging out of the back by a couple of feet too.

Being honest, I hadn’t given the weight a whole lot of thought and it was only as I started climbing the hill back to home that it dawned on me that it wouldn’t (or, to be precise, couldn’t!) get out of 2nd gear. I have to admit that this was a very, very careful drive home as I wasn’t entirely sure what would happen if I had to stop in a hurry. (Suspect: not very much!)

woffle
    Free Member

My best – a spare set of four wheels + two spare tyres + full bumper + set of carbs + exhaust. In a Mk1 MX5. Roof down, obviously.

My wife and I got a double bed + mattress + general fixtures and fittings for our first flat in a hatchback Mondeo. We had to fold a brand-new sprung mattress in three to get it into the boot. We got a round of applause from the loading bay when we finally got it all in.

kayla1
    Free Member

A CB500 and an RS125 plus all our trackday stuff in a Toyota Lucida (no rear seats.)

andrewh
    Free Member

Double bed and matress in a Fiat Tipo.

Two people, five bikes and all of my friend’s worldy goods in a Mondeo hatch. I also managed to move house in that car, after two bikes had moved in a previous trip (I didn’t own any furniture at the time)

We had 70 bricks in the OP’s car, volume was fine, more of a weight issue. Landy 110 barely noticed 100 roof tiles

You can get a ride-on mower in the boot of a Montego estate, just need to pop the steering wheel off (the mower!) for height reasons.

Firewood and three people in a two seater berlingo. Drove out with me in the comfy passenger seat, housemate in the boot. Filled it with blown down branches for the bonfire, my turn in the back on the way home, not comfortable!

grtdkad

Four adults, plus a week’s worth of camping equipment, bags, snacks and booze in a tiny 1992 Daihatsu Charade GTti for a trip from Newcastle to Glastonbury (1994 festival).

wombat

Back in my gigging days I would drive to gigs and take our drummer, his drum kit (bass, 2x floor tomtoms, 1x snare, 2 small drums for on top of the base, 6 cymbals, all associated stands, his stool and a roll of carpet for him to setup on), my bass guitar, a 100w Marshall bass amp/speaker combo, our PA amp, 2x pa speaker & stands.

In my Fiat Panda

plastic_scotsman
    Free Member

A tumble drier and a washing machine in a Fiat Punto with a driver and passenger.

manton69

2 adults and two double beds including mattresses from Ikea in a Vauxhall nova. They had shut (not able to pop it back in to collect the next day) before we realised that even with one of the mattresses on the roof we ere going to be making a very odd spectacle along the M6.  In the end we admitted defeat and called in reinforcements, but not without a fun few miles flapping around the backstreets of West Bromwich.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Rydsters purity.

Huge.

oliverracing

A 190cm carbon kayak paddle in my kit car at cannock chase. (160cm is the longest straight line in the cab area)  The look on the sellers face when I pulled out a hacksaw to fit it in the car was priceless! I explained it was a right handed padde and I was left handed so I was going to need to re feather it anyway!

wheelsonfire1

Moved house using a 2CV. Clothes rails and wardrobes out through the roof! Many trips of course. Then used it to carry trees to plant in the garden, not much defeated it.

Kit
    Free Member

Some trees (although stretching the ‘car’ definition here 😉 )

johndrummer
    Free Member

In a panda, Wombat? Impressive 🙂

Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘What’s the largest item you have fitted in your car?’ is closed to new replies.