• This topic has 16 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Andy.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • What's the HONC like?
  • jj55

Any good? Big climbs?

mrmo
    Free Member

100km pootle through the cotswolds in Spring.

one route

The route changes a bit each year but the route feels similar.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Its a great event, last years route only had one bigish climb of note

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Good event and cheap entry. Sold out uber quick since they started doing on line entry.

Not particularly technical and therefore plenty of people on cyclo-cross and tourers but a good day out (assuming the weather is good)

MartynS

done it 4 times I think.. Its a really good do, as said above its a 50 or 100 k cotswold pootle in spring. I did it on a cross bike last time which was good fun, have done it on a FS and a HT in the past.

Do it…

grahamh
    Free Member

Only a couple of big(ish) climbs this year 8)

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Ideal for a fast, light hardtail or cross bike: ~60% country lanes and the rest is farm tracks and fields. The mass start is a bit tricky. Am thinking of signing up on Tuesday if I get the chance – it’s usually fully subscribed within a day.

hh45
    Free Member

Yes, its good if you like lots of medium climbs and descents, nice scenery, relaxed atmosphere and don’t mind a bit of road and nothing too exciting. At the time of year (early April) its the perfect event I think.

Trimix
    Free Member

Dont do it if it looks like rain, then its really not a nice day out.

flashes
    Free Member

and don’d forget, good cakes………….I’ve SSed it for the last 4 years, nice atmosphere and well organised…….

cheers_drive

I’ve done it once a few years back wet it was nice a dry. Really nice chilled atmosphere although I rode alone as I was on a crosser so at a different pace from friends. The mass start was tricky on a crosser until it thinned out as I couldn’t pick my lines through the rougher bits.

simondbarnes

Did it last year, was really good fun. We took our time (and had a few puncture issues towards the end) and got back to find only 3 cars left in the field. Easy to find ours 🙂

A few piccies here… http://www.flickr.com/photos/simondbarnes/sets/72157626349487837

wingnuts

Done about 6 including the second ever running. Did it on a proper road with heavy tubs! Mainly hard tails since then. Great event but weather can be very changeable, snow to sun burn, but enjoyed every ride.

adeward
    Free Member

I have done it a few times as I used to work very near winchcombe even led out the start one year with Jon whyte , I did it on my single speed mount vision that year , suffered double puncture on the cattle grid on the last road decent,

I always did it on my mountain bike but with 1.5 conti cross country tyres pumped up hard

Will try to enter this year

amt27
    Free Member

first timer and came 7th last year (not a race i know) on a full susser with 60psi sb8s, flying past the crossers on the downhills, matched most of them on the flat,
    probably my fav event of the year,

sgn23
    Free Member

Does anyone know if one person can buy multiple tickets online when they go on sale on Tuesday?

Andy

ha ha sdb there is one of me in that lot. Thought I recocnised you off here when you took the pic. Done it twice. Loved it both times – great vibe and freindly people – although suffered awefully last year – late starting and never got going. To anyone thinking about it – do it, just a bimble in great company.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘What's the HONC like?’ is closed to new replies.