Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • What's the going rate on a bit of field these days?
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

I’m well up on building land etc but no idea when it comes to big standard field type land. Want to extend my garden and therefore square up the field behind our house, it currently has a dog leg in it where mine and three neighbours houses sit, the current wall runs in a straight line for virtually all of the field then right angles twice to then come in to our gardens. I will have to buy two bits as my immediate neighbour doesn’t want his. Each “plot” will be say 10m x 8m. Any ideas?

Andy_K

Depends where in the country you are, in any case the price per acre you’d pay for normal farmland “in grass” won’t really be representative as it’s such a small area, and its value is really in relation to its utility to you, and the added value to your house.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Last I heard was that ‘garden land’ was about £50k/acre – but obviously you’re at the mercy of the landowner as you can’t exactly shop around!

The fact you’re squaring up the field is in your favour….. theoretically.

alanl
    Free Member

10 years ago, the bloke at the back of me wanted to buy some of my garden. IIRC, I wanted £10k for 4mx6m. He offered £1k.
    5 years later he again said he’d buy it, but I wasnt bothered about selling it, so asked for a valuation from a friendly Surveyor, who said £15k, as the house would go up in value far more than 15k.
    He again refused to pay so much.
    Now, this Saturday, the couple who bought the house have asked if I’ll sell it, but again, they wont pay what I’m asking, they think, as it is only grass, it isnt worth anything.

tonyf1
    Free Member

Going rate around £20k per acre in Gloucestershire for agricultural land. Problem is you’ll have is getting planning permission to extend your garden as it is change of use and there is no guarantee you would be successful.

nickjb
    Free Member

Far too many variables for any kind of set figure but I’d start at £1m an acre. That’s about £250 a square metre so £20k for your bit

Up a bit for a city or big town, up a lot in the nice bits. Down quite a bit for rural. The impact on the house is a factor in what it’ll be worth to the buyer (although not necessarily what it’ll sell for)

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

£50k/acre

£1m an acre.

Lol

😯

timber

You would probably pay the same for the whole field as the little bit you want. Greater value to you than the farmer. Bunch of hassle agreeing fencing, adjusting maps, legal guff, SAF maps, lost payments. Keeping it doesn’t cost him anything. So don’t reckon nickjb is far off, 10k as a starting point for any size and then adjusted accordingly, unless you know them well.

nealglover
    Free Member

…..they wont pay what I’m asking, they think, as it is only grass, it isnt worth anything.

To be fair, It seems it isn’t worth as much as you think it is.

For the last 10 years, all of your potential buyers have refused your price, and something is only worth what people are willing to pay.

convert

is only worth what people are willing to pay.

That statement only has merit if the seller has a timeframe for selling or is even particularly bothered about selling at all. If the value of the house would have gone up as you say the first potential buyer might have missed out on an easy way to increase their sale price.

paton
    Free Member

“big standard field type land”

Prime Arable, Grade 3 Arable, Average Grassland, Prime Dairy, Poor Arable, Poor Grassland, etc

wrightyson
    Free Member

I know the owner well, he’s currently trying to get planning on said fields for 185 houses. It’s currently green belt so there in lies his problem, mine is I’d like to create a buffer if the development happens. The area in question is earmarked for nothing on the plans other than a wetland close by which I’m also intrigued about.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

When you say it’s Green Belt do you mean it is actually statutory Green Belt, or just land outside the settlement boundary?

Either way, as noted above, you would require planning permission to bring the land into your garden, but if it is GB then likely to be very difficult indeed. If the landowner is pressing for development and the LPA is opposed then they will already be sensitised to the issue of change of use to resi and so again, could well be tricky.

andyg1966

I just sold approx 30m x 30m of farm land as garden extension to a home owner for £15k. Added convenents to ensure any uplift in value we get 50% for 25 yrs I think.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

area in question is earmarked for nothing on the plans other than a wetland close by which I’m also intrigued about.

Probably the planned surface water drainage aka SUD

Hope you have some elevation

br
    Free Member

You would probably pay the same for the whole field as the little bit you want. Greater value to you than the farmer. Bunch of hassle agreeing fencing, adjusting maps, legal guff, SAF maps, lost payments. Keeping it doesn’t cost him anything. So don’t reckon nickjb is far off, 10k as a starting point for any size and then adjusted accordingly, unless you know them well.

This.

Maybe easier to (long-term) rent it, it’ll be pence then.

marcus
    Free Member

Sounds like it could be a strategic purchase. Presumably if you own the parcel of land in question and either your house and / or one of your neighbours, as a ‘plot’ it becomes potentially quite developable ??

martinhutch

Would it possibly end up being a bit of a ransom strip for the proposed development? If so, the landowner isn’t going to potentially screw up the wider plan for a few quid off you.

Were you planning to actually turn it into garden, or just ‘own’ it as meadow/buffer strip?

the-muffin-man

Each “plot” will be say 10m x 8m.

…In our local town? In the current climate you’ll get planning permission for 20 houses on a plot that size! 😀

sharkbait
    Free Member

Are we talking about land currently used for agriculture/ farm land, and therefore change of use?

Best of luck with that.
    It’s only garden if you start planting flowers and stuff – there’s nothing to stop you mowing it every week and using it as a lawn. If you go ahead with this keep records of how you’ve used the land (i.e. kept it mown, had parties on it, etc) as this all counts towards getting change of use from agricultural to garen land).

BIL did this ….. bought half an acre, kept it as lawn, kids used it for football, trampoline, etc and has now had it changed to garden land.

binners

Can you not just annexe it?

wrightyson
    Free Member

Not a ransom strip. It’s at the very bottom of a site that slopes upwards with access coming from the top, I’m hazarding a guess that the wetland could be a proposed balancing pond as I can’t see any other means of removing surface water. The area at the back of our gardens has no proposals for it re the planning. It was to be other gardens for some of the houses but now the plan has been rejigged after being refused at all levels first time round. I genuinely want it as a buffer from the development and to increase the size of my current garden.

sharkbait
    Free Member

double post..silly me

wzzzz
    Free Member

I know the owner well, he’s currently trying to get planning on said fields for 185 houses. It’s currently green belt so there in lies his problem, mine is I’d like to create a buffer if the development happens. The area in question is earmarked for nothing on the plans other than a wetland close by which I’m also intrigued about.

Sounds like its a potential building plot then, and if a development buffer then it could be worth even more than a building plot to you.

Why would he sell to you for peanuts?!

How about you just ask him what he would take for it if you cover all the legal fees? Counter their suggestion with 50% and see if they come back…..

the-muffin-man

I know the owner well, he’s currently trying to get planning on said fields for 185 houses.

These plans are a piss-take of the highest order. Hope you’ve lodged your objection. 😀

trail_rat
    Free Member

I know the owner well, he’s currently trying to get planning on said fields for 185 houses.
    These plans are a piss-take of the highest order. Hope you’ve lodged your objection

more likely he is tendering for the work 😀

wrightyson
    Free Member

These plans are a piss-take of the highest order. Hope you’ve lodged your objection.

POSTED 3 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

I was the one who delivered all the leaflets round Newbridge the first time round muffin man. That road is gonna get seriously busy but dcc have basically cleared it for approval re the current road infrastructure.
    I know how “planning” works round our way and I’ve got a funny feeling its gonna have a good chance of getting passed hence me trying to get a little bit of a buffer in.

the-muffin-man

We’ll soon be one big town when all the local villages are joined up!

LB will be the next to be built on (as I can’t seen that staying open for too much longer), then in-fill all the way along Crich Lane.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘What's the going rate on a bit of field these days?’ is closed to new replies.