Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • What's the furthest you've coasted in your car?
  • speed12
    Free Member

Does the throttle stop feeding the fuel required to idle the engine, just because you’re in gear and coasting?

Your mechanical losses are greater in gear as you’re turning the engine more quickly. Do you burn less fuel? Which is the greater effect?

When on overrun (in gear, but no pedal), a modern engine will inject zero fuel and use the flywheel effect of the engine to keep it turning. Only once the engine approaches idle speed will the idle governor kick in and start putting fuel in. You would use much less fuel by ‘coasting’ in gear, accelerating gently when starting to slow down a bit and then coasting in gear again than you would be cutting the engine and starting it if you need power steering! Not to mention that losing power steering, brake servo etc is not the most sensible idea….

ianmoody
    Free Member

dazh – In my extensive experiments to save fuel on motorways I’ve always found that coasting in top gear slows me down too much. Even on big downhills like the M62.

The best fuel saving option I’ve found is to sit 20m behind a lorry at 56 mph. I once managed 89mpg in my Focus 1.6 estate doing this between Oxfordshire and Manchester. Bloody boring though. Every now and again I’d change lorries for a different view.

I think I’ll be trying that soon. Although at 56mph fuel economy would be pretty good anyway in my 307SW, get around 50mpg normally.

Woody
    Free Member

Not huge distances but the A68 from the border signpost (towards England) is a good one. Not as much fun as trying to coast up and down the blind crests a few miles later 😀

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Rorschach
    Free Member

I sit in the slow lane on the motorway till a coach overtakes and get a ‘tow’ until either he or I turn off (they do 70mph unlike lorries 😀 )

bigrich

Ran out of petrol going from deep springs to big pine, so we coasted down Ott of the mountains. It was ten miles or so.

sturmey
    Free Member

ahh whispering sixth as it used to be known, maybe should be seventh now. Do it as much as possible to eeek out the diesel.

dazh

I sit in the slow lane on the motorway till a coach overtakes and get a ‘tow’ until either he or I turn off (they do 70mph unlike lorries )

Yeah coaches are better, but you have to drive closer to compensate for the higher speed. This also has an added dimension as usually there are other drivers doing the same, and you end up competing with them for the spot behind the coach. My tactic in this scenario is to try to anticipate when the coach will need to change lanes, then draw alongside the car behind and let the coach in with a flash of the lights. 🙂

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Drafting is a great fuel saver but conflicts somewhat with the “Only a fool ignores the two second rule” idea.

tiggs121
    Free Member

How far from Glenshee Ski Centre to Braemar? Must be around 5-6 miles?

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I don’t think you can coast from Glenshee to Braemar, as there is an uphill section about 1-2 miles from Braemar.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘What's the furthest you've coasted in your car?’ is closed to new replies.