Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Whats the furthest distance you can get from a tarmac road in the Uk?
  • juan
    Free Member

Crap you must be ery bored TJ ;
    Still up to meet to show me around the famous capital?

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Not strictly on topic but related to biking. What’s the furthest you can ride in the UK without touching tarmac in any way (and I don’t mean jumping across roads). The route would have to be linear or a big circle i.e not gratuitous up and down forest roads in somewhere like Kielder. I found one which starts about half way between Machynlleth and Aberystwyth and comes out on the A44 by the rally school called Sweet Lamb, a distance of 32 miles. Its not all on the OS map but pretty well legal, certainly no footpaths or private land. It’s a very good day out and by simply crossing the A44 you can add another 15 miles again all off road to Devils Bridge. Any advance on this?

druidh
    Free Member

Any canal towpath you care to mention….

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Perhaps I should have qualified it by saying mountainbiking. Do you think 30+ miles is possible on a towpath without finding a section that has been resurfaced in the black stuff?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Pistonbroke Easily do much more than that in a loop on Kinlochleven /corrour / lock ossian / Locan na earba /loch pattack / ben alder / Blackwater dam – but you would do 1 mile of track twice.

roughly multimapped – 75 miles

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>Any advance on this? <

Yes, can think of numerous circuits in Scotland – you’ll need to do a lot better than 32 miles.

The OP did say tarmac – any advance on An Sgorsach?

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Whats the furthest distance you can get from a tarmac road in the Uk?’ is closed to new replies.