Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Whats the fastest you have been on your bike under your own steam?
  • edhornby

32mph – about 130ish rpm and that was my gear maxed out…

samuri
    Free Member

The speed signs are easy to set off but gatso's are much harder. As above, I suspect we're not reflective enough, bit of tin foil across your back might do it. I keep meaning to give this a go on one near us which is on a nice long hill.

As far my fastest, this isn't it (I've seen 55mph, but this is the fastest I've got a picture of)

creaser
    Free Member

72mph near the bottom of the glacier last year in Les 2 Alpes and fell off slide for 100m shit myself

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Over 100 kph on a road bike down from Teide in Tenerife just past Vilaflor, over took a car who was shouting out of his window at top note, didn't realise till he over took me laster he was shouting words of encouragement for me to go faster, you dont get that in the UK. 😆

yetiguy
    Free Member

50.2 mph downhill on my road bike

Dont have a speedo on my MTB

fubar
    Free Member

Do flat roads exist ? Around here they are either up or down.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

50+mph….! On a fully faired recumbent down the Avenue in Southampton. Woooooo!

keavo
    Free Member

21.50 10mtt. won a few bunch sprints, guessing about 40mph briefly. however i'm far too scared to go for it downhill after a spectacular high speed wipe out years ago.

rich-6
    Free Member

Can hit 30mph on my hardtail on a flat road with Pan fires.

and downhill while i was at hamsterly managed to hit 44 on my heckler 😯 Pedalled like a MOFO. I dont think the guy in the Disco at the bottom could quite believe it as i shot past, He was watching me on the way down, whooosh 8)

Last proper downhill fire road before the end!

HendyTreker
    Free Member

46 Mph on the run down into Les Gets from the top of Plenny, hanging on for dear life, hoping I don't lose it.
    32 Mph on the hardtail on the flat on the way to work….but that was sat about 1.5 metres from the back end of a bus, hoping and praying his brake lights didn't come on!

Goz
    Free Member

20mins for an average of 30 mph for a 10 mile tt

dmiller
    Free Member

46 mph coming down the back of the tak me doon road outside kilsyth. I may have hit about 40 mph coming down the crow road as well.

On the flat I have broken 30 a couple of times but cant hold it. I can hold 20 to 24 on the flat. Guess I am not a speed hero like a few people here.

I have however set off a speed camera many times – there is one here that I can set off most mornings – its at the bottom of a hill in a 30 and I can hit it at 38 ish and I seem to be reflective enough to trip it. Its very cool as the road narrows here so you can nip out the lane closest to the pavement, set off the camera, then jump in a lane in the space created by the cars stamping on their brakes as the camera goes off to dodge the parked cars in front off you.

Probably doesnt make drivers smile as much as it makes me smile 🙂

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

I'm Surrounded By Idiots
    Rochey – Are you sure that 20.58 for a 10TT gives you an above 30mph average?

Goz
    20mins for an average of 30 mph for a 10 mile tt

You have to go OVER av.30mph to go sub 20mins for a '10'.

Try as I might, I couldn't even get under 21mins this year – which makes my best av. speed for a '10' 28.54mph 😉

RichPenny
    Free Member

Absolutely no idea.

Oh come on, this thread was MADE for you 😉

julianwilson
    Free Member

AndyP – Member

Mach 4.2
    cheers
    Glupton

😆

He is unavailable to comment, too busy pulling doughnuts round and round startled ATGNI's in an icy trail centre car park.

But I am sure it will be much faster than me. (Never one for bike computers but on a flat-windless-tarmac-commuter-bike-day with 44/11 gears I reckon no more than 24 mph! And I would be in bits if I kept that up for more than a few minutes.)

Smee
    Free Member

Look closer people.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

prob around 28-30 but never really checked – don't own a road bike nor a computer.

used computer for touring though, and on fully laden touring bike on the road i hit 75kph (46.6 mph)in NZ and 48.2mph (77.6 kph) on a dirt road in iceland

both were scarey enough for me thankyouverymuch.

ando227
    Free Member

On the flat i have hit 46mph on my road bike when i was in my late teens, i had an electronic speedo. Downhill i have reached 55mph going down into swaledale from buttertubs when i was fully laden on my touring bike which only had sidepull brakes..After cycling to malham to see my girlfriend on my way back i raced a coach for 5 miles from clapham to bentham and overtook it going downhill into bentham..no speedo that day but great fun!

Just wish i could still do it!

zaskar
    Free Member

Own? probably 32+- but for few seconds till heart failure.

75mph as 15 stupid kid holding on to pal's car…slap on the head.

stoney
    Free Member

FTAO,
    Im surrounded by idiots!!! Rocheys 10 tt time of 20.58 is more like an average of 28mph.
    My best 10 time is 22.58 and i ave. 26 something mph, and we have a slow "flat 10".

steve_b77
    Free Member

Most I've managed is 32mph on my roadie and fast enough to scare myself a bit and cook the brakes on my mountain bike

julianwilson
    Free Member

I'm Surrounded By Idiots – Premier Member

Look closer people.

Well, if you will insist on changing your 'screen name' (or whatever it's called) every three months….

Everyone has some idea George, even me with my aversion to cycle computers and the awful truth about how slow/little I really ride. Come on, humour the class with your guesstimate, eh?

Smee
    Free Member

JW – if you cant be bothered to read the thread what hope is there of having a decent conversation with you?

julianwilson
    Free Member

I'm Surrounded By Idiots – Premier Member

Come to think of it I once did 47mph through the golf course at Innerleithen.

Sorry G, missed that post.

Was there golf going on? 😯

Smee
    Free Member

Yes, but there is a road goes through the middle of the course. Flat too.

andrewh
    Free Member

Can do 35mph on the flat on the road bike. Have hit 55mph downhill with the wind behind me. Unfortunately, Scottish hills tend to have corners which prevent me going any quicker.

Friend of mine, who is his late 60s, was telling me of trip to the Pyranees (sp?) with his road bike. He used the phrase '…doing 78mph. I could have gone faster but I got scared.' 8OHope I'm like that at his age.

As for speed cameras, anyone know the one on Bracebridge Hill going down into Lincoln? 30 zone, went passed that at 42mph and completely failed to set it off, quite disapointed.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Was it an urban myth that folk used to get pulled in after mobile police speed traps as the top of a bicycle wheel registered twice as fast as the bike was travelling?

_tom_
    Free Member

38mph down a hill.. probably about 20 on flat, I'm pretty unfit haha.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Never really checked on the flat, but got 50mph on a tarmac downhill on my Inbred when in NZ.
    Fastest Inbred in the south!

Brother_Will
    Free Member

I once managed 30mph on the flat on my mountain bike, with a tail wind of course. These days i dont use a Computer im just happy to ride not bothered about how fast im going.

racefaceec90

i managed to do 34mph on my mtb (after coming down a hill admittedly.)but kept it up for around 20 seconds,chasing a car. but one time on my f800 i had descended the westbury white horse road to the junction.just as i had turned right,i heard a car beep me.i looked round and the guy leant his head out of the window and said that he was clocking me at 51mph (i didn't have a speedo at this time).to be honest i think that i was only doing about 45mph (i think car speedos are usually out by 10%) but i was well chuffed. 😀

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Whats the fastest you have been on your bike under your own steam?’ is closed to new replies.