Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Whats the difference between the On One frames?
  • Nicknoxx
    Free Member

Can anyone identify the fundamental differences between the
    Inbred
    Summer season
    Scandal

and that’s ignoring the 29ers, carbon frames, Planet X MTB’s, Ti, various dropouts etc.

nbt

inbred – designed around 100mm forks
    456 – like an inbred, can take forks from 4 to 6 inches travel
    summer season – like an inbred with a slacker headangle
    scandal – made of scandium, not steel

ahwiles
    Free Member

my turn 🙂

inbred = the ‘original’ 0n-one
    456 = like an inbred, but a little bit sturdier
    summer season = like a 456, but a slacker head angle
    scandal = inbred geometry, but made of aluminium (there was a ‘scandium’ version, but not now)

keep ’em coming!

z1ppy

small correction to NBT’s summary [pre-ahwiles sneak edit!]

scandal – 1st run were made of scandium, not steel, now there just made of cheap and cheerful aluminium

plumber
    Free Member

Inbred – brilliant – I have two
    456 – puts vibrations right up your shitter
    SS – puts vibrations right up your shitter
    Scandal – dull xc plodder

this refers to steel/scandi ali versions only

😀

CraigW
    Free Member

scandal – 1st run were made of scandium, not steel, now there just made of cheap and cheerful aluminium

The first run was a scandium-aluminium alloy. So probably just a tiny amount of scandium anyway.

lucien

My go: –
    456 Steel – good long travel HT, robust, sturdy and comfy – suits a longer fork
    456 Carbon – good long travel HT, robust, sturdy, comy – suits a longer fork and really stiff / light – flies with summer tyres on.
    Inbred – good steel HT, suits 100mm fork – mines currently my race bike
    Summer season – don’t know
    Sandal – don’t know

Get one, anyone, as I am sure they are all awesome

Toasty

There hasn’t been a scandium version for years now.

Scandal – Exactly the same geometry as the “brilliant” frame, but made out of aluminium. Fairly friendly for an aluminium frame too, not as brutally stiff as the Stumpjumper I had before it.

nuke

…and fwiw the 18″ Scandal frame I have is lighter than my 16″ carbon 456 frame (including swapout drops)

druidh
    Free Member

And the Inbred is for forks up to 120mm, not 100mm.

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Nick, it tells you in the description on their website what the characteristics of each model are.

Mod: Edited for civility

Rubber_Buccaneer

456 – puts vibrations right up your shitter
    SS – puts vibrations right up your shitter

Anyone know where I can get a test ride?

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

onceinalifetime well, yes but I’m looking at second hand and the Summer season is discontinued and it looks like the Inbred has migrated from 100mm forks to 120mm forks and the Scandal isn’t made of scandium any more so it was worth asking the question here.

brant
    Free Member

Scandal made from 7046 alloy, which is higher spec than 7005 more normally used.

p7rich
    Free Member

Don’t forget the Whippet – simply an Inbred made of carbon.

Duffer
    Free Member

Inbred – Ace
    456 – Ace
    SS – Ace
    ScandAl – Probably ace…

garage-dweller

Basically covered but if you’re going to run 100mm and don’t want a heavier / slakcer frame then it’s an Inbred or Scandal (whatever made of).

Next for burliness is the 456 (really nice to ride with 140mm up front even on XC)

Then the summer season which is (IIRC) without the tube butting of the 456 and a slacker (1 or 2 deg) head angle.

They could do with a simple table on the website really for the current ranges. I looked at road frames and got completely bewildered and gave up.

takisawa2

A frame as cheap as the Inbred should not ride that well, especially with 120mm forks.

gingerss
    Free Member

456 and summer season seem to have been bought together to make the 456 evo, which is somewhere between the two.

Like the others, it’s probably also very good.

Northwind

Has anyone here compared the old and new Scandals as far as ride feel? I had a first-gen one and it was a lovely frame, I think most of the “steel is real” crowd would have been surprised by it since the Bred’s pretty solid and dead but the Scandal was nicely compliant and lively. But I hear the newer one is stiffer?

CraigW – Member

The first run was a scandium-aluminium alloy. So probably just a tiny amount of scandium anyway.

That’s always the case though- you don’t make things out of scandium, you use it in your alloys in tiny quantities. There’s not much of it to go around.

wilde86
    Free Member

SS and 456 are being discontinued and 456 replaced with 456 evo – i just got one of the last SS, building it up now.. well excited 😀

plumber
    Free Member

Toasty – Member

There hasn’t been a scandium version for years now.

Scandal – Exactly the same geometry as the “brilliant” frame, but made out of aluminium. Fairly friendly for an aluminium frame too, not as brutally stiff as the Stumpjumper I had before it.

The scandal I rode for 20 minutes was defo the first batch and though it may/may not have the same geometry (theres a few different inbred geometries) it still sucked complared to my ‘brilliant’ bike

MarkiMark
    Free Member

456 Titanium. The greatest.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Whats the difference between the On One frames?’ is closed to new replies.