Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Whats the difference between the gryphon and swift?
  • pop-larkin
    Free Member

In real terms apart from gryphon limits you to staying rigid (snigger)
    Just asking cos obviously no swifts at the mo but you can get hold of gryphons.
    Lastly I'm 6ft tall 33inch inner seam- I assume I need a large?

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Rawsack-Why didn't I think of looking on the singular website eh!!

Thanks for your incisive help but I was looking for an opinion from perhaps someone who had tried out both in the real world.

mustard
    Free Member

The gryphon is designed for off road drop bars and the swift for more traditional mtb bars. You can run drops on the swift with a short steep stem.

The effective top tube of the gryphon is almost 30cm shorter, so wouldn't be ideal running it with flat/riser bars, unless you've short arms?

That's how I understand it anyway – I got a swift 🙂

[edit] and love it! – haven't even been off road on it yet, but did an ace weeks tour in April with road tyres on.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Thanks for that- just struggling to see what advantages the gryphon has over a swift- it just seems more limited in how you can set it up…..but it is available now 😆

rOcKeTdOg

at 6ft i'd try and get to swing a leg over a medium and a large swift, i'm 6ft2" and ride a large but you might be in between sizes, i'm in south mids if you want to try mine

singlespeedstu

just struggling to see what advantages the gryphon has over a swift

Well if you want to use dropbars you buy a frame/fork that's designed to use drop bars instead of having to bodge it up with a short highrise stem.

Gryphon for drops, Swift for anything else. Simple.

They are a lot of fun though.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Stu
    How much of your riding is off road and how much on road?
    Do you find no suspension limits what you can do?
    What size are you/is the bike?
    Looks really good by the way!

Rocketdog
    I may take you up on the offer my man- I work in Brum so not to far to pop down to sunny Warwick and at the mo I am probably leaning towards the Swift

singlespeedstu

90% of the stuff i ride on the Grypho is off road.

No i don't find it limits me on local stuff and trail center riding, but i wouldn't take it to the alps. But there again i don't find that my other rigid bikes limit me on the same kind of trails.

I'm 6' and on a medium, but it is a prototype so the production frame/fork set might be a bit different.

Here's a bit of onboard action for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjPPEeMEpL4

epicyclo

Pretty convincing footage for anyone who doubts the handling.

Probably the ideal do it all bike.

Just make it lighter 🙂

TheSwede
    Free Member

😉

singlespeedstu

Recipracates The Swede with a complicated freemince hand signal. 8)

rOcKeTdOg

how old is that footage stu, i don't remember the little drops at the end of that trail last time i was there (over 12 months ago)

singlespeedstu

Only three or four weeks ago.

The trails still the same it just looks different now they've cut the trees down.

TheSwede
    Free Member

Crane eh. Ninja and trail god. Where do you find the time.X

singlespeedstu

When you're as good as me it takes no time at all to become a master of many things.

TheSwede
    Free Member

singlespeedstu

TheSwede
    Free Member

singlespeedstu

She's just seen The Swede's cock.

TheSwede
    Free Member

Yes it is very small, but cute.

singlespeedstu

I see the kitchen rolls within reach when your baby cocks in hand…

TheSwede
    Free Member

No, my kitchen is fixed to the floor and I walk in to it with my cock in hand 😉

singlespeedstu

I'm going to withdraw from this thread now as I need to save some insults for wokboy on tomorrows ride.

Or maybe I should just take "the seesaw of truth" with me.

TheSwede
    Free Member

It never lies.

singlespeedstu

fact.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

ermmm….thanks guys!

thekingofsweden

Lads back to the mans question cos i think your scaring him !

I have both swift and gryphon if your looking to run a standard set up don't choose the gryphon just to fill that gap

What type of riding are you doing ?
    I have run both bikes with drops and the gryp is better for that, longer headtube short fork makes for a more comfy set up than a swift on drops.

I find the griff better for all day rides on or off road that are more rolling and not too techy, it is more than capable and great for touring again on or off road.

I enjoy riding the swift all day too when it is more techy.

The swift can handle a lot of different set ups making it more versatile if your not sure what set up you want,tho I did take mine to the alps but i'm not as core as stu !

You could just make the best choice and get the Pegasus as it's fantastic

better still drop Sam a line or give him a bell he will give you the definative low down on what you need

singlespeedstu

Kos.

You're so sensible mate. 😆

To the OP.

seems me and Swedeyboy got a bit carried away last night with our little daft picture contest. 😆

thekingofsweden

Not really see me Saturday after friday !

No apology needed xxx

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Chaps- not scared just a little bemused!

What I am after is getting down to 2 bikes- I have a full sus geared job for faster/ nice day riding and at the moment have a road bike and a singlespeed inbred for quick blasts and winter riding (having also just sold a rig).

Therefore the swift/gryphon conundrum lies in whether one of these can replace the 2 bikes most comfortably-tbh I'm not a hardcore hucker- for off road Cannock is my main riding terrain so not too mad.

KingofSweden- what size are you riding and what height are you?

Cheers
    Pop

banginon

I have a L Swift in stock if you're needing one.

Rik

pop-larkin
    Free Member

bangin on
    Can you mail me with details please?
    Addie in profile
    Cheers
    Pop

tazzymtb

pop- you know that in 2 weeks you'll change your mind again! you get through even more frames/bikes than I do 😉

when does sir want want to drop the boingly frame to tazzytowers for a build?

thekingofsweden

Pop i am about 5'8" i think ?

I ride medium in both models tho i do have short legs so often get moaned at because my setups look a little odd !

If your still looking to travel quick offroad and put in some road miles too i would go for the gryphon with the drops off road is still very enjoyable with the added comfort on road using the drops.

Don't know if you have a 29 already if you don't then you will be suprised what you can ride rigid compared to 26"

Seeing your question made me realise a friend has had my griff on loan and now I really want it back !

Did you get hold of Sam ?

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Tazzy- I thought you were out of range til today! I am happy to drop round at time kind sir!

thekingofsweden-not spoken to Sam yet as I know if I do I will be pressing the go button so just musing this week (sort of inbuilt cooling off time!) cus as Tazzy alluded to my bike turnover has been a bit nad recently but do really like the look and idea of the gryphon but just question whether I would then feel it too limiting compared with a swift,, but then again a gryphon with brown saddle and brown tape would really look good!!

thekingofsweden

You need to watch Tazz he can be a bit you know out there 😯

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Shush don't let him know- he thinks it's everyone else who's out there!

tazzymtb

KOS I can't believe you've said that! I'm going to sell my big wheel single speed any buy a downhill bike and join the boys in body armor…….they'll let me play and won't pick on me 😥

p.s. If I've been called "out there" by a nichemongerattentionwhore does this mean that I'm likely to end up in a padded cell in a white huggy jacket?

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Whats the difference between the gryphon and swift?’ is closed to new replies.