Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Whats the difference between Soft shell and active shell?
  • organic355
    Free Member

looking for a light/spring/packable jacket and like Gore stuff:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?s=gore+bike%20wear%20jacket

whats the diff between activeshell and softshell?

cheers_drive

Active shell is Gores own trade name and is a thin waterproof which can be worn next to skin (I think it replaces pac lite). Softshell is more windproof than waterproof and is a generic term.

druidh
    Free Member

There are two Gore “Active Shells”.

The original version (though still in use) is a type of Windstopper and AFAIK is only used by Gore themselves..

The new version is a GoreTex Active Shell. This is a proper breathable waterproof and the material is used by a number of other manufacturers, including Gore themselves. GT-AS is probably the most breathable waterproof membrane currently available (surpassing eVent).

organic355
    Free Member

So which one is best for spring/summer jacket which doesn’t need to be warm i.e. no insulation, but is a windstopper and ok for light showers?

I want a really light, unsweaty jacket for commuting and for mtb use for when a jersey/short sleeve isnt quite enough or for the end of long rides.

Any other good options other than the Gore bike wear options?

angeldust
    Free Member

Decide if you want a waterproof (will not allow any amount of rain through, light or heavy), or a softshell (copes with light-medium showers only, depending on the type you buy, but generally are not totally waterproof). Both will be windproof. In theory you will sweat less in soft shells (more breathable than fully waterproof jackets). The Gore stuff works great on a bike.

angeldust
    Free Member

‘I want a really light, unsweaty jacket for commuting and for mtb use for when a jersey/short sleeve isnt quite enough or for the end of long rides’

Pertex microloight jacket may fit the bill (have a look on the Montane website) – pack down to nothing and are windproof. Water resistance is low though.

lynxx
    Free Member

Have a look around TK-Maxx. You usually find the thin Montane jackets for a very good price. I bought a RAB wind proof in a sale for £10, great for the bike, and even use in the Kayak sometimes.

meribelmtb
    Free Member

I bought a Berghaus Velum jacket last summer and it’s amazing. The active shell is crazy good, easily the most breathable jacket I’ve ever worn, very waterproof and windproof too. Great for biking and hiking.

chiefinspector
    Free Member

The new version is a GoreTex Active Shell. This is a proper breathable waterproof and the material is used by a number of other manufacturers, including Gore themselves. GT-AS is probably the most breathable waterproof membrane currently available (surpassing eVent).

The new Neoshell fabric from Polertec is currently the most breathable/ waterproof membrane available just now. I do some hillwalking and have read various reviews and comparisons between Neoshell & Goretex Active Shell and every time the Neoshell just pips it. Rab have started using Neoshell in some of their range. Now all they need to do is make a bike specific jacket to throw a spanner in the works.

angeldust
    Free Member

I have the Rab Neoshell jacket and breathability is probably the best I’ve tried for a waterproof jacket. Not a revelation compared to Event and Goretex’s latest, but definantly the best their is at the moment.
    Not optimal for biking though, the material is too stiff (and the cut is for walking, not biking). Perhaps they will bring out a lighter version…..

BadlyWiredDog

Active shell is Gores own trade name and is a thin waterproof which can be worn next to skin

I don’t think so, not the next to skin bit unless you’re quite odd.

NeoShell, fwiw, is massively over exposed in the sense that while it works very well, there’s very little of it out there. The Rab jacket is a relatively heavy mountaineering shell and, as far as I know, they’re not planning on anything lighter, though hey have some NeoShell ghaiters out this autumn… Most NeoShell is lined with an insulating scrim for winter use.

It’s also, ime, not so much more breathable than Active Shell that it would make a massive difference anyway. Canadian company called Westcomb has a lightweight NeoShell jacket in the pipeline, but I think it’s more of an an alpine climbing shell than anything else. Blah, etc, yawn.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

a mate has a Gore Active shell jacket, one like this I think

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gore-bike-wear-contest-20-active-shell-jacket-2012/

and he rates it. It’s not fully waterproof but the upside to this is that it breathes well. So you get a windproof, breathable, light top, that packs down pretty well.

I run a Montane Velo on the roadie, which is a really light shell, but you can’t leave it on very long as it doesn’t breathe well, so only good for short showers really. Packs down tiny though.

Fully waterproof and genuinely breathable is a myth. You’ve got to give up one.

FuzzyWuzzy

Softshells are usually insulated to some degree or at least thicker than packable jackets. I only tend to wear mine if it’s fairly cold as well. If I wanted something for in case it rained or got cold mid-ride I’d probably just stick with a gilet as I don’t really care about wet/cold arms – I’d only really look at an active shell type jacket if I was intending to ride a lot in heavy rain, mostly I just stay indoors though so haven’t bothered buying one)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Whats the difference between Soft shell and active shell?’ is closed to new replies.