Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • What’s the difference between a picnic and a takeaway eaten al fresco?
  • thegeneralist
    Free Member

Loved the juxtaposition of these two signs at Tatton Park (National Trust) today:

And then at the exit too:

WTF is going through whichever senior NT manager’s head when he thinks it’s ok to put those two signs next to each other. He’s basically admitting that they’re encouraging people to break the law but saying it’s ok because I’ve put a sign up saying don’t break the law.

A bit like **** parking illegally and then putting their hazard lights on to show that they know they’re **** and breaking the law.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Its the clear guidance provided by a leader that brushes his hair with a balloon.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

brushes his hair with a balloon.

🤣

myti
    Free Member

😂 Also

I think the idea is you have to take the food away to your car or home

MoreCashThanDash

Obviously down to dodgy guidance from the government

Personally, I get a takeaway while I’m out, I walk round the corner, wolf it down and then move on.

A picnic to me involves taking at least some of the “meal” with me, sitting down and taking my time with it

funkmasterp

Its the clear guidance provided by a leader that brushes his hair with a balloon.

👍🏼🤣

stumpyjon

The difference is a picnic is an intentional decision to go out to eat, taking food with you, a takeaway is not. The real reason is a takeaway is about businesses surviving. Personally I think the distinction should be takeaway = substantial meal bought with the intention of taking home to eat, a takeout coffee on the other hand is completely non essentially and encourages people to take a trip out and should be banned the moment. But then when have any of balloon heads decision made sense.

kennyp
    Free Member

A picnic requires a wicker basket, a red and white checked blanket and ginger beer. Oh and wasps.

boxelder

Nothing stopping our family bubble of 5 eating a take away outside. Do you suggest allowing picnics (Policing nightmare) or closing takeaways?

MoreCashThanDash

I’m blessed with maybe a half a dozen decent cafes offering takeaways within a 5 mile radius, and I’m happy to support them while they are legally able to open. They’ve all put a huge effort in to change their setup you keep their business afloat and at least some staff in work.

The risks of me catching or spreading anything while standing two metres away from anyone else outside is minuscule.

The complete **** bellend who pushed alongside me to get his shopping on the belt at Tescos this morning, him I could have cheerfully punched senseless.

allanoleary
    Free Member

Being open for a family to get a takeaway isn’t the same as encouraging groups to meet up for a picnic so I can’t see the problem

joat

I’ve been taking a coffee and snack bars with me on bike rides because my usual stops are closed. This technically is more illegal than finding somewhere new to get a takeaway but infinitely safer regarding transmission. It’s an absurd situation which can’t continue much longer, Boris has actually had a year to make clearer rules and laws and is generally losing compliance due to mismanagement of the situation.

MoreCashThanDash

Being open for a family to get a takeaway isn’t the same as encouraging groups to meet up for a picnic so I can’t see the problem

I agree the intention is pretty obvious – the problem is the government rely on the public using the common sense and just as importantly their self control to stay within the rules. Then we have issues around perspective – realistically, far more people are staying within the rules than are breaking them, realistically no one is saying that outside takeaways are any sort of “high” risk for transmission compared to other things that are allowed.

But hey, people are getting a coffee and a bacon roll and that’s why we have just shy of 120,000 dead and an economy on it’s knees. It suits the government to distract us with the takeaways on the forum

Flaperon

If you want to meet friends for a meal then the easiest way is to drive separately to a mutually convenient motorway service station and order and eat it there, where surprisingly you can sit and eat at a table.

I have no idea whether this is legal or not but it’s what people are doing at the moment. Takes the piss when my local favourite coffee place has just closed its doors for good.

[Sample size: Trowell services]

jambourgie
    Free Member

A bit like **** parking illegally and then putting their hazard lights on to show that they know they’re **** and breaking the law.

No, it’s to show that ‘you’ll only be a minute’, so hopefully if you get caught they might turn a blind eye. But I’m sure you knew that. So the signs are just that. Trying to make money whilst hopefully covering them selves against over-zealous officials. I kind of agree with your outrage btw, but then, ‘don’t hate the player – hate the game’ etc. I’ve never seen it so busy around here at the weekends. Massive queues outside coffee shops, park rammed full of people. Pop-Up coffee shops in the park with obligatory massive queue blocking the way. Wasn’t there a lockdown on? And I’ve said it before, but wtf is so amazing about buying coffee? There’s so many of the places down the road that the queues are all merging into a crowd. Just buy a bag of Lavazza from the shop.

rOcKeTdOg

I go for a daily exercise walk during my lunch hour and take food to eat so.

I’m technically commuting to work that can’t be done from home, I’m exercising but because I brought the food from home I’m picnicking. This is why I go to Gregg’s, then I’m commuting, exercising & having takeaway while supporting the economy.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d read it as you can only eat if you’ve paid them for the privilege?

martinhutch

It’s pretty obvious:

Picnic:

Takeaway:

Drac

The idea of a takeaway is take home, sit in the car or a place of work. It’s not to takeaway to sit in the park with a group of friends. Doesn’t need much explanation. Similar to take away coffee no need to ban because people can’t work out you can drink it on the move, in the car or a place of work.

thols2

A picnic requires a wicker basket, a red and white checked blanket and ginger beer. Oh and wasps.

This.

matt_outandabout

No lashings?

MoreCashThanDash

No lashings?

Might be a better deterrent than a £200 fine.

hugo
    Free Member

Clearly this, settle down.

anagallis_arvensis

I’ve been taking a coffee and snack bars with me on bike rides because my usual stops are closed. This technically is more illegal

Is it, on my bike rides I take water and a banana is that illegal too?

maccruiskeen

The idea of a takeaway is take home

Indeed – its a bit cold for dining ‘Al Fresco’

I’d rather eat my kebab ‘Al  Bundy’ – which I think is Italian for ‘on the sofa”

joepud
    Free Member

I don’t get whats wrong with the sign. They are simply saying get your food and leave like every take away place thats currently open. I get a coffee from my local maybe 4 days out of 7 a week i really don’t see whats wrong with it.

Personally I think the distinction should be takeaway = substantial meal bought with the intention of taking home to eat, a takeout coffee on the other hand is completely non essentially and encourages people to take a trip out and should be banned the moment

As a blanket statement without finer details its ok, but it just does’t work in reality. For example my coffee shop also sell food and make pretty good sandwiches so at lunch I go for a walk to get away from a screen and get a coffee and a sandwich. So are you suggesting they either just sell sandwiches, (where they wouldn’t make enough to survive) or just close and likely fold leaving a few more people on the unemployment pile? In an idea world the gov’ would be paying everyones wages but thats not gonna happen.

Personally life is pretty dull right now my life is few bike rides a week, walk with my g/f and working from home a coffee is one of the few highlights right now.

jam-bo

Those that can’t eat/drink and walk at the same time have outed themselves on this thread…

MoreCashThanDash

Those that can’t eat/drink and walk at the same time have outed themselves on this thread…

Not just this thread…..😂

roger_mellie

Eating and walking at the same time? How frightfully common.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Op is sooo sexist

dannyh
    Free Member

What’s the difference between a picnic and a takeaway eaten al fresco?

A takeaway eaten al fresco means being pissed beforehand whilst a picnic starts sober at least.

Bunnyhop

The latest take a way/picnic trend in our local beauty spot, is gangs of youths all supping cans (on the move), carrying large carrier bags full of sugary treats, salty nuts and other unhealthy snacks.
    Maybe these will be consumed on the move, but one guesses they are off to a party or mini rave. Judging by the amount of litter in the local hedges, grass verges and canal towpaths its more of a picnic free for all.

joat

I’ve been taking a coffee and snack bars with me on bike rides because my usual stops are closed. This technically is more illegal

Is it, on my bike rides I take water and a banana is that illegal too?

Well, I don’t really know. I was making the point that I will need to stop briefly. The two women who were fined (and subsequently cleared) weren’t doing much different. I have plenty of answers and logic to hand if stopped by the police but it doesn’t mean they’ll listen. The lack of clarity and unfairness of the rules add a frisson of excitement to bike rides when you spot a panda car I suppose.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Right, waiting for my lasagne to cook, time on my hands…

This is Tatton Park. People don’t pay seven quid for the privilege of parking up, walking a while to the restaurant, buying lunch then walking back to the car whilst it gets cold then driving home. It’s in the middle of BFNowhere ( well Knutsford)

The real reason is a takeaway is about businesses surviving.

agreed, but this is probably one of the richest charities in the world. I can’t see then going bust at any point soon.

Personally I think the distinction should be takeaway = substantial meal bought with the intention of taking home to eat,

Totally agree. Which clearly counts Tatton Park out.

I don’t get whats wrong with the sign. They are simply saying get your food and leave like every take away place thats currently open.

As above, it’s nothing like your average takeaway. Middle of nowhere, £7 Parking fee. Pain to get to.

The idea of a takeaway is take home, sit in the car or a place of work. It’s not to takeaway to sit in the park with a group of friends. Doesn’t need much explanation

Agreed

In this instance it clearly is the same. Hence why they’ve put the sign up.

footflaps

What’s the difference between a picnic and a takeaway eaten al fresco?

Did the wine cost more than £20 a bottle? If so, it’s a picnic; otherwise it’s just chavs eating in a park.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Crockery is the answer.

minus
    Free Member

The current regulations explicitly permit leaving home to visit businesses that are allowed to remain open. As coffee shops are allowed to remain open it would be difficult to argue that you weren’t allowed to consume what you bought there before it got told.

Picnics aren’t explicitly permitted by the regs so, Tatton park’s inconsistent stance isn’t inconsistent with rule rules.

Of course very little is explicitly prohibited by the regulations; you just need a reasonable excuse to leave home and a non exhaustive list of reasons is given. Whether picnics are currently allowed by the rules can only be determined by the courts taking the current vague regulation in the context of common law and other legislation.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

LOLs at p7eaven.

Mmmm tea. ( On new plates indeed)

Crunchy

bonni

Picnic? Boring! It’s Wild Eating these days.

CountZero

Personally I think the distinction should be takeaway = substantial meal bought with the intention of taking home to eat, a takeout coffee on the other hand is completely non essentially and encourages people to take a trip out and should be banned the moment.

Eh? A takeaway can be anything edible you buy that can’t be eaten sitting in or at the premises, a picnic is a packed full lunch with the specific intention of eating outdoors as a group or at least two people.
    When I go into town on a Saturday afternoon to do some shopping, I would normally have a coffee and something to eat in a local cafe, but they’re closed, so the next best thing is a coffee, a panini and a muffin, and then sit on a bench nearby.
    That is not a ‘picnic’, it’s me grabbing a quick lunch and coffee while making the best of the circumstances, I can’t walk eat and drink at the same time, and I’m damned if I’m going to walk a mile back home to consume it.

a takeout coffee on the other hand is completely non essentially and encourages people to take a trip out and should be banned the moment.

Bollocks.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘What’s the difference between a picnic and a takeaway eaten al fresco?’ is closed to new replies.