Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • What’s the commuting tyre of choice right now?
  • dknwhy

Looking for inspiration. Currently using Panaracer gravel king (slicks 700 x 38mm) on my arkose.
    Have done about 2000 miles on them and they’re looking a bit worse for wear.
    Want something for road riding with the odd cycle path, park etc…
    The bike’s hub geared so want something relatively puncture proof (tubeless not an option with these rims).
    What works for you?

cb200
    Free Member

I’ve found Vittoria Voyager Hyper to be great – very low rolling resistance, only one puncture in around 2000 miles and fine on the tamer off road stuff.

I do tend to commute on my MTB tyres in winter though, as I feel safer on frost and slimy leaf matter.

danti

Schwalbe Marathon Greenguard

irc
    Bez

Marathon Almotions should be on the list, too. They come in a 38mm size.

(Full disclosure: I have a brand new pair I need to sell, but they’re the 2″ version so I don’t think they’ll fit an Arkose.)

joshvegas
    Free Member

Hyper voyagers are great until its a bit damp and slippy…

sirromj

Specialized Slaughter Grid & Maxxis Race TT

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Assorted cheap Vitoria from PlanetX at £5 – £8 at the moment.

benp1

I have a 35mm marathon plus on the front and a 32mm back on my arkose. They’ve been unbelievably reliable, wore out the rear tyre without a puncture on it

But my oh my they’re heavy

But I commute in London and ride through anything without worrying about it. Quite a few bits of glass on this mornings ride. It does light off road stuff fine too

ton

vittoria voyager. £4.99 from planet x. aces

snownrock

Lifeline (wiggle) commuter 700c X 32c here. Cheap and go up tubeless well. Used them for a few years now all year round.

willard

Right now? Schwalbe Winter half spikes. I do live in Sweden though.

Summer is all about the Wiggle Lifeline slicks. Despite being cheap, they roll fast and work well on a 26″ wheel commuter.

tthew

Conti Sport Contact. Roll like a race tyre, tough as old boots, (last 2 sets ZERO punctures on tubes) and if they still have them cheap as chips on Planet X.

Won’t consider anything else.

bukobuko
    Free Member

Schwalbe Marathon Green 35c they handle just about everything even thick mud and I don’t have to worry about punctures, Heaviest Tyre in the world but keeps you fitter and they last for ages(anti cracking casing). I’ve used Conti Sport Contact before and they are very tough but less grip.

DezB
    Free Member

Schwalbe G-One Speed Tubeless have done the winter excellently for me so far. Looks like they’re about £60 on CRC, so I won’t be using them again, unfortunately!

spaniardclimber
    Free Member

Schwalbe Marathon Plus Double Defense, slow and heavy as hell, but the most puncture proof tyre ever, 15K km of London commute and not a single flat.
    They may even outlast your bike.

dknwhy

Thanks for the replies. I’ll probably opt for some Schwalbe Marathons – see if I can use the extra weight to get fitter over winter!

kerley
    Free Member

I use Schwalbe Durano Plus. Similar to Marathon Plus with a slightly thinner protection belt. They have no tread and are folding (in 25c) so are 200 grams less than Marathon plus. They ride and roll noticeably better and are very puncture resistant (I use them off road).
    Have used Marathon plus when I used tubes and they are the toughest option but they really do feel slow and hard work.

s1m0n
    Free Member

Panaracer Gravel King SK (35mm) set up tubeless – covers road and off road commutes. I just lower the pressure a bit if I know I’m going off road and vice versa. Not sure on puncture protection with tubes as only sued tubeless.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Marathon Cross, was going to link to a good deal at PX, but they’ve vanished off the site. Great for mixed terrain riding and lots of durability, I’ve had one puncture in ~2.5 years, by far my most reliable commuting tyres in recent years.

Kahurangi

Schwalbe Marathon Winter til Fab/March then Schwalbe Marathon Tour (Greenguard),

Both fairly puncture proof and have reflective sidewalls.

Simon-E

Recently fitted some Marathon Greenguard (HS420) and they are tough but surprisingly compliant. I think it’s the rubber puncture belt they use instead of a stiffer material. Not tried them on mixed surfaces. £16 each at Spa Cycles (here).

@n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Spa have Marathon Cross in 700×38 too.

ransos
    Free Member

I’ve found Vittoria Voyager Hyper to be great – very low rolling resistance, only one puncture in around 2000 miles and fine on the tamer off road stuff.

+1. I’ve commuted on them for years. Cheap and reliable.

cookeaa

Still using gatorskins, although the reinforcing webbing on the side wall on the front one has started to lift after 4000 miles… I could probably glue it down and get another 1000 miles out of it…

officerfriendly
    Free Member

The Hypers have been great for me, apart from one incident. I wasn’t even moving, just standing there on my bike, and then out of nowhere they started to puncture. Not really sure why this happened, someone suggested it could be due to the heat – it was in the high 30s. Now they’ve got a hole in them, and I need to get a new set. Looking at the Marathon Supremes, the Marathon Greenguards just look too heavy. Funnily enough, the tubeless version of the Supremes weighs more than the standard folding one.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘What’s the commuting tyre of choice right now?’ is closed to new replies.