Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Whats the cheapest Ski/board holiday you've managed?
  • tacopowell
    Free Member

A group between 6-12 of us are looking at getting away for New Years eve,
    Bansko, Bulgaria seems to be the best option and value for what we want,

Flights £125pp
    Transfer £10
    5 nights Accommodation £80 or less
    Slope Pass/Hire £200

£415 is pretty cheap,
    Question is am I missing something?
    I’m no seasoned skier/snowboarder.

Whats the cheapest you’ve got to the snow for?

jam-bo

action-outdoors/ucpa packages are pretty good value for money.

hammerite
    Free Member

That’s exceptional for New Year week.

We’ve managed about £1,200 for three of us half board, flights and transfers in the Easter hols. Plus £300 for lift passes (2 adult passes and a free child’s pass), but this was to Saalbach one of the best areas in Europe.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nickjb
    Free Member

Don’t forget skis/boards. You either need to rent or take your own. The cheap airlines tend to have a massive fee. We have done a couple of dirt cheap weekends to Italy when RyanAir were doing 1p flights a few years back

nedrapier

Did a few very cheap uni holidays with our ski club. One all-in cost etched in the memory because a couple of mates on the committee realised that “LES ARCS 249” would go on the petrol station price board on the hill up to the campus.

Best value since then was 10 days in northern Norway for £517 – flights, hire car and accommodation, we were self catering – food and booze from the supermarket on top. No lift pass as we were touring, but a big airbnb place worked out at £17/night each. Still pricier than your place in Bulgaria though!

Have fun!

Sui
    Free Member

That’s not bad at all.

Did Chamonix a couple of years ago for cheap using and AirB&B thing, 3 of us, driving from UK, worked out approx £500 with the lift pass.

Tunnel £150
    Fuel £200
    Tolls £100
    Accomodation £400
    lift passes £690

Forex makes this a little more expensive now.

Accommodation was really nice as well. Still got to eat and drink which starts to add up, but overall not bad. There are plenty of package deals around which don’t end up that much more.

surfer
    Free Member

Driving to a resort is OK and gives you the advantage of arriving and leaving to maximise slope time etc but there is nothin more depressing than facing a 16 hour drive home 🙁

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Tacking it on to a work trip!

Business class flights, hire car, some meals and accommodation all paid for.

Which was nice. 🙂

oliverracing

3 years ago in Switzerland for 11 nights (Wengen/Jungfrau area to be precise)

Flights – £105
    Transfer – £45
    Accommodation – £120 each (about £62 per night for the flat that slept 6) it was in the valley but only 20mins to the lifts
    Food ~ £165
    Lift pass – £155 got a pretty decent march deal – 10 days for the price of 5!

Once I added the other small bits it came to £625 for 10 days for skiing in Switzerland, Which I didn’t think was too bad especially considering the quality of the skiing!

scuttler

Apart from Flashy’s corporate jollies which include top of the range skis and mountain guides as well as more booze and food than you could imagine (oh happy days)…

Late 90’s in that first week of January after everyone’s gone back to work, 2 sharing.
    2 weeks fully catered in Colorado – top food, wine at dinner etc etc,
    Allocation on arrival – Catered chalet in Breckenridge
    Transfers
    Flights Gatwick to Denver
    Area Pass for Breck, Keystone, Vail, Beaver Creek
    £440 per person

Ouch.

gibbonarms
    Free Member

The cheapest I’ve ever managed was on the ‘Tignes Express’ back in 2002/3 time, they were £189 for a coach trip from a random UK service station to Tignes and included shared accommodation and a lift pass.

I tend to average £550 for the complete week, and that includes everything, beer, food, parking, pass, the lot. I find North American resorts are great value for money but I do tend to go for 6 week trips but get it to even out around £220/week.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Bansko has really struggled for snow over Christmas and New Year over the past few years. My dad’s wife has got a place out there and they’ve been out there early Jan for the last few years and it’s been pretty bad. They have snow making facilities that has managed to keep some runs open, but they have suffered. But a few years ago they had a run of fantastic snow and conditions, far better than the Alps at that time of year, so you never know.

It’s a good resort for beginners, cheap food and beer once you’re there, some nice little bolt holes in the old town with some great restaurants. When we’ve been there we’ve had a slap up meal for a family of 4 plus two adults, with as much beer and wine as we wanted all in for about £50. Good quality food and imported beers and wine.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Tacking it on to a work trip!

In that vein I used to do 2 trips a year as a client, ie free.

As I’m older than most I am guessing quoting my Uni “ski racing” trip to Isola 2000 in 1980 doesn’t count – coach, self catering apartment, pass – was £200-ish I recall ? These days a 3 day lift pass costs

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Bansko or Andorra was he cheapest, both sub -500 for a week

thenorthwind

You’ll struggle to beat Bansko. A group of us went in January this year. Package was something like £400 including flights, hotel (B&B), transfers, lift pass, ski/board hire and tuition. I reckon I spent less than £100 in the week we were there, including all meals other than breakfast. The £50 I spent on a suitcase was actually a significant proportion of the cost of the holiday.

singletrackmind

£325 for xmas week in a catered chalet
    Less the £250 refund for a 25hr delay outbound
    £125 plus Lift Pass which was £180 iirc
    Took own kit so no hire costs
    Probably spent £30 – £40 whilst out there on coffees / pints / cake

gavjackson1984
    Free Member

I’ve had some crackers in my day, the cheapest being to Les 2 Alpes in March 2011. Half board hotel, flights and transfers for £120.
    It is however becoming harder and harder to get the super cheap deals.
    New years eve will always be quite expensive and it usually sells out so less chance of a last minute deal, cheapest week’s I’ve found is first week in Jan and Mar / Apr just before Easter. Leave it till a week or 2 before and book something.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Whats the cheapest Ski/board holiday you've managed?’ is closed to new replies.