Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • what's the carbon footprint of a carbon frame?
  • rob2
    Free Member

I've got a carbon 456 on pre-order. Got myself thinking of the environmental impacts of carbon frames.

What's the carbon footprint of carbon frames and how's it compare to steel?

Plus how do you recycle them when they die, if at all?

pypdjl
    Free Member

Negligible.

rob2
    Free Member

lol, any facts? 🙂

dirtyrider
    Free Member

whats it matter? how are you fueling riding the bike? whats the carbon footprint of the food you eat? where was the frame made? did they have to boat it half way round the world? did the postman bring it in a big van?

ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzz…….

tazzymtb

the recycling of carbon fibre products is problematical, normally via pyrolysis (energy intensive process) or it can be milled down and reused but the fibre length is significantly shorter reducing the effective uses it can be put to. The main issue with carbon fibres, particularly Carbon nano tubes is the potential health risks of working with and producing them as there is now epidemiological data to suggest that the fibres may cause similar occupational ill health effects as asbestos. the National Institute of Occupational safety and Health are going through a massive research program in the USA as are the HSE in the UK.

So you basically have a product that's a dangerous to health to produce from the fibres, solvents, epoxies etc.. can't be recycled very well or in a particularly energy efficient manner and is shipped halfway round the world to you.

I hope you feel really guilty 😆

rob2
    Free Member

not great are they. Got 20% off for pre-order though 🙂

I don't eat so no carbon problem there.

tazzymtb

it's no worse than any other bike they're all environmental disasters, by the time you've mined the ore, smelted the metal, made the tubes/frame/ painted it/ manufactured all plastics from oils/ made the tyres/shipped it all over the world etc..

If you want to be an eco warrior….walk….barefoot…..in hemp clothing……grown locally in a sustainable manner……and knitted by hand etc….

otherwise don't worry about it. 😀

foxyrider
    Free Member

get a bambpoo bike?

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Oh well, at least its being put into a product you'll keep for decades, and never want to replace

rob2
    Free Member

not looking to be an eco warrior, just curious like. More critical question is do I go for black, blue, red or white 🙂

tazzymtb

rob2- didn't think you were mate 😀

Frame has to be black, carbon frames don't look right in colour, all my string and glues and been weave finish.

aracer
    Free Member

The thing is the problem with carbo is burning it and releasing CO2 into the atmosphere. By having a carbon frame you've locked up all that carbon which is never going to become CO2 – has to be good for the environment.

tazzymtb

http://www.madehow.com/Volume-4/Carbon-Fiber.html

have a read here to see how it's made

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘what's the carbon footprint of a carbon frame?’ is closed to new replies.