Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • What’s the biggest tyre to comfortably go on a Whyte 901?
  • Dogsby

Hi All,

I have a Whyteleafe 901 and it has some Maxxis Forecaster 2.6s which are really good. However, I fancy something a bit larger and was thinking 2.8s but found some 27.5 x 3.0 WTB Rangers that I might try. Anyone have any experience of these on a Whyte 901 particularly clearance issues?

Cheers

Dogsby

robertpb
    Free Member

Get your tape measure out and measure the clearance you already have and work it out.
    You need at least 5mm clearance and preferably 10mm for wheel and tyre flex and mud clearance.

Also why do you want wider tyres?

Dogsby

Cheers Robert, I was after a bit of real world experience if anyone had some as although I can clearly measure the space clearly different tyres have different profiles.

Why wider tyres? Well, having been a fairly comitted skinny tyred XC kind of bloke I bought a plus bike and really enjoyed it so want to see what difference an even bigger tyre will make. Also, the Forecasters areally a bit of a winter tyre and I fancy something for the summer.

Dogsby

submarined
    Free Member

What year? I’ve got ’16, but the fact you say you’ve got a 2.6 on there indicates to me that you’ve definitely got a newer one than that, because there’s nosoddingway you’d get a 2.6 on there!

rocketman
    Free Member

I have a 2019 901 with 2.8″ Maxxis HRII/Rekon on 35 mm rims. A 3.0″ would fit in the back but I think the front would be a struggle. The 2019 Sektor has a squared-off arch that hugs the profile of the tyre so closely that some fork guards won’t fit. What fork have you got?

I’ve not had any problems with the 2.8s. For me they’ve answered the ‘what tyre’ question. The shallow treaded Rekon digs deep even when provoked and the HRII just gets on with it.

Dogsby

Cheers guys,

It’s a 2018 model with RockShox Recon RL so fingers crossed the 3s will squeeze in!! I’ll let you know.

Dogsby

Dogsby

Turns out the 27.5 x 3.0s fit just fine front and rear. I wouldn’t say there is bags of clearance and I wouldn’t ride them in the mud but so far they have been great. They went up tubeless remarkably easily and I have been riding them around 15 psi which has been fine around Cannock and a few other places. As you would expect they have marvellous amounts of grip and ride really well.

Having gone from a XC race focus riding to a hardtail with plus tyres (now really plus) and flat pedals it’s been a real revalation!

Dogsby

noiseboy
    Free Member

Hi Chris I realise this was some time ago,

Im assuming you 901 was the 2018 Yellow one, but was this just on the stock WTB i29 rims and was it the WTB Ranger 3.0″ you managed to fit in?

Cheers Noiseboy

Dogsby

Hey Noiseboy,

Yes to all of that. It’s the yellow one and the rims are the ones that came with it. The Ranger 3.0’s fitted just fine front and rear. Great summer tyre.

Hope this helps.

Dogsby

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘What’s the biggest tyre to comfortably go on a Whyte 901?’ is closed to new replies.