Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What's the biggest narrow/wide 5-hole chainring?
  • Northwind

My commuter needs some chain retention but putting a mech on it causes issues with mudguard clearance… Just wondered if anyone makes a big 5-hole ring, like 48 as a minimum? I’ve seen some smaller cx ones…

neilwheel
    Free Member

I would think they would be as rare as rocking horse poo.

I have a lightweight bash and chain catcher on the inside.

njee20
    Free Member

CX1 in 46t, big money for a chain ring on a commuter though! I’d say you’ll struggle otherwise – single ring transmissions aren’t really the thing on road bikes where you’ll find larger rings.

What’s the issue with a guide?

trail_rat
    Free Member

cut slot in mudguard.

Northwind

njee20 – Member

What’s the issue with a guide?

None really, it just needs a new chainring anyway. And a guide might still have the same issue with the mudguard. But yeah, not buying that SRAM one 😯

Cutting a hole’s the simple answer but pretty messy, I’ll bodge it if I have to though.

trail_rat
    Free Member

only messy if you make it messy , neat job done right.

used to do it all the time in the workshop, unless you knew you would think it was factory 😉

Northwind

Fair point that! My thing is, a hole is a hole- no matter how neat it is if you change parts around you end up with holes in the wrong place etc and that’s just not nice.

But you’re right enough, it’s the sensible option here. Think I will change to a proper chainguide to get a more final setup then chop the guard. Would have been nice to keep a neater option with less parts though.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

I assume you mean front mech? Maybe try a bash and granny ring, that way if the chain does jump, you will still be able to pedal.

I run a similar setup along with Zee mech and yet to drop the chain or even have it jump to granny, using a 33t on one stainless chainring.

If you run a 52t or 53t as your main ring, maybe run a 39t as your ‘granny’. 🙂

Northwind

Nah, definitely going with less is more. It almost works now so just a case of getting it all working perfectly then making it permanent I reckon. New frame has just slightly less tyre clearance than the old, my 35c tyre and mudguard does fit but only by a bawhair.

nick1962
    Free Member

Why not use an unramped singlespeed type chainring?

Northwind

Will that do the job by itself? Good call if it does. I know it didn’t cut it on my old commuter but then it was all cheap and nasty parts.

nick1962
    Free Member

Had them on two MTBs running 1x 9 with no issues so depends if your commute takes you down any black DH runs.

Northwind

Not the best road surface in places to be fair 😆

(I had zero luck trying to run a singlespeed ring on mountain bikes, never got a mile without a chain drop but this is so different I don’t think that really applies)

Cool- well, I need a chainring soon anyway so I’ll put that on the list, no reason not to. Thanks!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘What's the biggest narrow/wide 5-hole chainring?’ is closed to new replies.