Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 89 total)
  • What's the biggest cycling injury you've recovered from?
  • Northwind

Not a cycling injury, but I only ride bikes because I broke my hip. Used to ride mountain bikes back at the dawn of time but gave up, took to motorbikes and laziness. One morning, fell on some ice while walking, broken hip, bolts through the leg, lots of lost muscle… 4 months on crutches, 6 months of physio and I could walk pretty normally but it gave me a lot of bother, so decided to drag out the old bike and have a go, purely for the health benefits… 2 years later and I was downhill racing 😆 Leg’s still buggered mind but it does the job.

stu1972
    Free Member

Hit a switchback at warp 9 and fell approx 50-60 foot down a drop on an embankment and ended up in a stream.

To this day I don’t know where my other shoe went

stanfree
    Free Member

Broke my collarbone two weeks landing badly after a silly small jump , cant wait to get back on a bike albeit a road one.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    OrangeChammy
    Free Member

Me personally, just 12 stiches in leg from a DMR pedal, and broken ribs from a 4ft drop to head then onto chest.

My wife not so lucky, first gentle MTB ride – broken neck (C2 vertebrate… the hangmans break!), broken wrist, 1 inch gash on lip, major bruising everywhere, broken tooth… All from a forest trail at nevis, loose descent, panic braking then slide off a 5ft bridge into a stream. Was just behind and found her face down, knocked out in the water – If riding alone then I dread to think what would have happend. She made a full recovery with just some scars and lost a fair bit of neck movement, gladly my wife made it out of nevis range forest on a van and then an ambulance trip before they found out the neck was broken… free helicopter trip too.

No MTBing for my wife, but she was always more of a cyclepath kind of girl!

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

snapped tibial plateau in morzine summer 2009 (crashed on 10% and spd didnt unclip). Had it pinned out there (and now ride flats).

snapped end of elbow (elecronon) off in penmachno spring 2011, taking a tricep tendon with it. Surgery to re attach it all late june 2011. Healed quickly enough to go riding in Spain in September, but still not at full strength (have weight trained for years and no where near back to where I was).

My only holiday photos from 2009…. 🙄

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Dented pride. It still hurts.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Popping out of the woods at “The Canyon” in Les Gets, I somehow ended up off the official trial and ended with a massive steep drop out the woods to see my mates at the bottom, waiting for me.

They beckoned my down so I thought, if hey can, so can I . Anyway, couldn’t so bailed before the impassable ditch right at the bottom that nobody spotted.

I ended up in the “dry” ditch with tendons ripped to shreds in my shoulder.

Ends up my mates didn’t ride my route either! Gad it happened on the last day of the holiday anyway. Probably NLT missed one run.

That happened early July and I didn’t ride again until late September. Just as well, the weather was dreadful anyway that summer. So physically it took the best part of 3 months, mentally probably another 2 years to heal?

Also, trying to jump yers ago, I thought speed = air and didn’t know anything about per jumping, unweighting, whatever. I went that fast, I did get air but so much that I landed on the next up ramp whilst heading down, front wheel first. Numous fractured ribs. It only hurt when I laughed or sneezed.

DT78
    Free Member

scaphoid – 3 months in a cast – jumping badly
    collar bone/ribs/concussion – another 3 months off the bike – jumping badly

I no longer jump.

most random, caught my calf on a broken branch on a log as I rode past, thought ow that hurt, looked down to see the thin red line split open revealing bubbly yellow fat inside. had to ride out of the woods to get picked up. 22 stitches….

Also found a tick on my arm a fortnight ago, so worrying about lymes disease now…

transapp
    Free Member

Dislocated and broken shoulder socket last August. Fell off a fikkin log at cannock showing a mate how ‘easy’ it was. Yes he has it on film. Operation in Sep, very very painful. Back in the bike Jan / Feb tune and lots of rising since. Have been doing a lot of gym work to try prevent reoccurance.

Dancake
    Free Member

Hurt my balls today.

matt_outandabout

Not I, but my mate Matt decided to stop using his face right in front of me, on the way down from Hellvellyn. We were with doctors in our riding group – one gave him 20 mins to ive.
    He woke up in hospital 2 weeks later, remembered his name a month later….

edoverheels
    Free Member

Pelvis by eddie.jenkinson, on Flickr

stanfree
    Free Member

^^^ Is that your knob in the xray. 😕

LoCo
    Free Member

😆 😯

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

If you look carefully you can see his ‘gluteal folds’ too!

Managed this last year.

I was unconscious for a good few minutes. 6 stiches and plenty of concussion.

I felt ok at the time (so I thought) but its pretty clear from work I had a mild brain injury – couldn’t handle stress, couldn’t think properly, very forgetful, disorganised. Irritable, troubled by loud noise, unable to focus on someone talking with alot of background noise etc.

Its taken about 6 or 7 months for me to get my original faculties back. Still don’t like loud noises though.

dannyh
    Free Member

Elbow gashed open down to bone – 15 stitches, 9 internal, 6 external. The guy who stitched me up did an absolute beaut of a job – he was a plastics bod who happened to have been roped in for a Friday night shift. The place was full of drunks, so he spent a surprising amount of time getting me just right. The scar was invisible after 6 weeks (we had a baby daughter in the interim). So, I venture out for the first time, slip on a simple bit of wet grass and whack the elbow. A lot of pain, but the resulting bruising discoloured the perfect scar and left me with something more impressive.

Broken ribs six weeks ago – back on the bike after three, OK by four, fine by five.

Double-hard (honest).

skiboy
    Free Member

Still recovering 7 weeks after breaking both my ulna and radius , two bones in my hand , two fingers , gashing my right arm to the bone needing 10 stitches , various assorted cuts and bruises,

Had three 6″ k wires removed under a general yesterday , these where for the distal fracture in my ulna, they were under the skin hence the general and my wound today hurts like murder !,

My radius is healing well but has a 6″ Ti plate and a bag full of screwfix self tapers in it, I recon it will be around another 6-8 weeks before I sling my leg over a bike again ,

I have loads of x rays and catscan photos but none have my cock in so no point posting them

argoose
    Free Member

Ripped the skin off my knee on the road part of the Gap, knee full off crap kidney infection a week later, pi**ing blood night sweats and just felt like death’ not even warmed up 🙁

souldrummer
    Free Member

I broke and dislocated my shoulder crashing in the mountains above Morzine; handlebars also went into my side, which has left a nice scar. I passed out when I crashed and eventually managed to crawl off the track so as not to have other riding landing on me, and then collapsed. Mate who found me thought I was dead. Months of physio and then an operation sorted it out and restored full movement- thankfully.

Dr_UpGrade
    Free Member

Currently recovering from broken, dislocated shoulder and torn/repaired rotator cuff. Still very painful and not ‘much’ movement after 12 weeks post op, however, I can ‘hold’ arms in handlebar position, and Physio says it should be ok as long as I don’t crash (!). Hopefully trying a wee 20min jaunt over the w/e…

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Blimey, you lot need to take better care of yourselves!
    Only had mild concussion from bouncing my head (yes I had a helmet on) on the road at Sickleholme junction.
    Carried on riding before passing out in cafe at the top of Rivelin Valley junction with the A57.
    Sweetie of a consultant asked if I had been wearing a helmet, I confirmed I had and his words were:
    “Good, or you’d have been clogging up one of my ITU beds!”
    Bless!

edoverheels
    Free Member

Stanfree
    I hope it’s mine

transporter13
    Free Member

About 12 years ago I decided to buy a cannondale f800 as most of my riding was dh/jump orientated.

On my first ride out (all clipped in and xc’d up to the max) I attempted what should have been an easy 1ft bunny hop up a step to save me getting off to walk over bridge. Epic fail.

I’d put my front wheel onto the edge of the step and had a coming together moment with mr tiggywinkleton and my stem. Cue much moaning and groaning whilst rolling around on the floor.
    After 10-15 mins I felt that I could carry on, so I did. Eventually got home and changed ready for a shower where I saw much blood and split ballbag.

4 hours later I’d been stitched up (5 stitches with no anaesthetic) and couldn’t work for 2 weeks which led to much pisstaking from my workmates

I have fathered 3 kids since so it does still work 😀

Also dislocated my left shoulder whilst trying to ride No handed and no footed on my paper round one day

ac505
    Free Member

Fractured my back (t2) at Innerleithen about 5 years ago. Big drop off, and I must have touched the brakes coming in to it. Nose of bike drops, I come flying off super man style, punch the ground (break a few bones in my hand), land on my head then rotate onto my back. I was a little concerned that my 17 stone friend was right behind me so I scrambled pretty quickly off the trail. Stupidly, I walked down the rest of the trail and Tally phoned an ambulance for me. Boy did I get a bollocking from my wife……

The interesting thing was that it was a rivot in the body armour that pushed through and broke my back, needless to say I wear higher quality body armour now, no 661 for me any more.

I remember being in hospital waiting to get my x rays and some poor sod turned up having fallen off his bike at glentress. His bike stopped, he didn’t, and pretty much burst one of his balls open. I was glad I only broke my back.

bigblackshed

In my yoof is was into BMX in a big way. Had a few offs and a few bumps and bruises. Them at 16 my grandparents bought me a Raleigh Record Sprint road bike just before I started my apprenticeship. Riding home from college down a big hill, probably close to 35-40 mph, guy in Cadillac coming up the hill turned right in front of me. Slammed into the side of his car and then dragged about 30 feet before going under the back wheel.

All injuries down my right side apart from 1 broken left rib and cheek bone. It’s almost easier to list what didn’t break. Collar bone, 5 ribs, 3 front, 2 back, dislocated shoulder, elbow, hip and knee. Hyper extension of tendons in right elbow, wrist, knee, broken little finger and big toe.

Only 1 scar above my right elbow, the rest were all mental. I healed physically pretty quickly, although I didn’t ride again for 6 years. The long term damage is that my right shoulder grinds and crunches, my right knee is f***ed and I have tendon / nerve damage in my elbow. Similar to tennis elbow. Sometimes struggle to hold a coffee without dropping it.

Someone once said chicks dig scars. Unfortunately not the mental ones.

_tom_
    Free Member

My shoulder’s still not right from a crash I had at the FOD almost 2 years ago. Don’t know if I’ll ever get full range of movement without pain! I think a break probably would’ve healed better than the soft tissue damage, think it’s the rotator cuff according to internet diagnosis.

timber

Broke my tibia and fibia, which split out through the skin so that my toes toucked under the back of my knee. Did that bailing from a jump. Had an external fixator bolted in for about 4 months and went riding the day it came out and was strong in a month, back to normal in another month.

Last year I had a face break moment. Only part of me with no scarring was my left shoulder, ripped just about every bit of soft tissue in that. Couldn’t lift, grip, support weight, sleep comfortably for quite a while. Couldn’t ride for about 9 months and when I started again, only for 30min or so. Just about good now, but long rock gardens and steep tranitions still hurt as well as still lacking flexibility.

These things happen.

wmuecke
    Free Member

Deep puncture/laceration to armpit

Not the biggest, but the most recent. This is what happens when you straddle a metal guardrail at speed…with your armpit. Lucky I did not hit any nerves or major blood vessels. Really lucky.

samuri
    Free Member

Neat!

I’ve had a saddle up my arse, split the skin and took ages to heal. Probably not my worst cycling iknjury but defaintely the most embarrassing.

Northwind

Cycling, worst I’ve done is ribs/cartileges, broken thumb and broken coccyx. Off the bike, I broke my hip by the head, which was pretty ugly, then shortly after tore the ACL in the same leg. Can’t really recommend that… Still gives me bother as you’d expect but it does the job.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member
    LeeW

Severed my palmar artery a few years ago, lost a lot of blood and made a nurse barf when in A&E.

Dislocated my fingers a couple of weeks ago, thinking they’d be ok I did 3 and bit hours on the road yesterday, big mistake.

LabMonkey
    Free Member

Complete laceration of the vastus medialis – could see the inside of the kneecap through the cut – until it filled with blood. Nice Helicopter ride to hospital. Surgery. Lots of internal and external stitches. Back on the bike (very tentatively) in three months. All better now and riding (almost) as well as ever this year. Respect to the NHS!

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

6 months of no riding due to breaking the cashew nut sized scaphoid bone in my left wrist.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

3 busted metacarpals in right hand . . . .i was only going about 1 mile an hour . . .fast enough . .

argoose
    Free Member

Double fracture to left wrist, scaph and a metacarpal and two fractured ribs.
    Apparently was riding around for a month with the metacarpal fractured, but didn’t know till x-rayed scaph. Told doc wondered why it was hurting me. Back on bike one week later, ribs didn’t let me do much more than gentle fireroads.

schnor
    Free Member

Busted ribs & two partially detached retinas (right eye still not 100%) Nov ’10. Recently – 7 weeks ago? – cracked elbow & chipped kneecap – both still hurt if I touch them just in the right / wrong place

deadkenny
    Free Member

T6 and T7 vertebra wedge fracture plus whiplash landing on my head from a drop (sheer incompetence on my part), and nearly two days in ICU unconscious. Okay they knocked me out apparently while they made sure I wasn’t looking at paralysis. No memory of the incident, just waking up a couple of days later wondering where I was.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Torn ligament in shoulder in 2009. It took about 8 weeks. Cause, OTB incident at Les Gets.

Now recovering from a couple of ribs that are stuck. I thought I’d torn some tissue between my ribs but after it not healing for a few weeks I went to the physio.

A couple of bone grinding and popping sounds after a couple of visits sees an improvement but not fully fit. It still hurts to sneeze.

Cause, massive wasp in the full face helmet in Les Arcs.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘What's the biggest cycling injury you've recovered from?’ is closed to new replies.