Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)
  • What's the biggest cycling injury you've recovered from?
  • rocketman
    Free Member

Am feeling very decrepit this week with a number of niggling sprains/strains/aches etc nothing seems to be working as it should

A little inspiration please – tell me how you got back on your bike after being injured.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I stubbed my toe a few weeks ago, it was back to normal colour after a week.

wwaswas

Broken Hip learning how not to jump.

took about 3 or 4 months.

I think hopping on the ‘bad’ leg was the breakthrough for me – I was convinced my leg would just snap off again if I put all my weight on it 😳

Buying a new bike as a ‘reward’ for recovering helped 🙂

If you’ve got a number of dfferent issues I’d go and see a sports physio and get some specific exercises/stretches to help.

crazy-legs

Fractured pelvis.

I was actually back up and about again reasonably quickly but it took ages to be back to normal on the bike, a year or so to recover to full fitness.

Milkie
    Free Member

Achilles Tendonitis, which I ignored and ended up tearing my calf. 6-8 months physio I was back on the bike.

Today I have trapped a nerve in my neck! So probably won’t be riding this weekend. 😐

LoCo
    Free Member

Infection in my neck caused by a big crash, was told afterwards I had 24 hours if hadn’t had the surgery to remove it 😯 as body was starting to shutdown, kind of puts thing into perspective when you find stuff out like that 😀

alfabus
    Free Member

The dark spots are broken bones:

Dave

wwaswas

you’re not as tall as I thought you’d be.

woody2000

I died once. Ok now though 😀

headfirst
    Free Member

Broke my back ten years ago coming off my bike and going headfirst into a dry-stone wall. To be more precise I sustained a wedge fracture of my T8 vertebra. Was told that if my spine had moved a couple of millimetres more I would have been paralysed. 3 months of work with a back brace on.

I got a new bike out of it though!

EDIT: and I broke my left wrist last November – plate and screws in forever. It’s now about back to full strength.

I got a booking on a skills course (Great Rock ‘Stop Crashing’ 😕 )out of it though!

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve also got a toenail that wants to fall off, may take a bit more time though.

McHamish
    Free Member

I got a scratch on my leg from some brambles and got stung by nettles at the same time.

Found some dock leaves for the nettles…so not too bad.

@alfabus – you look skinny.

Speshpaul

Broke the end of my left Tip & fib. too many small bits to screw back together so 6 months laid up. Then a little op to take the shrapnel out of the knee joint.

Junkyard
    Free Member

broken ribs is my worst and re broken many times since

Look kids jumping of your mates garage roof will impress all your friends but it will end badly 🙄

Ps thanks to the long renthal seatpost in my BMX 80’s stylee or my crown jewels would have been pulverised on my back wheel.

s.

alfabus
    Free Member

@alfabus – you look skinny.

you should also be able to make out that I was desperate for a piss!

crapknees
    Free Member

Well, in some sort of order, all over bruising, scrapes, strains (amazingly no bone breaks) from getting run off the bike, fractured thumbs and toes, then a plica and torn cartilage in one knee (fixed!), and torn cartilage in the other (still not fixed!). Hence the name…

kayak23

Over the bars at Gethin dh track. Broken Tibial Plataeu

Several concussions and a bit of a hurty knee one time…

thegman67

Snapped my achilles last May then re-ruptured it during rehab had to go in for an op where they took my tendons from my big toe and graffted it on to my achilles still not back on bike but hopefully not to long

cinnamon_girl

Currently into a 6 week ‘recovery’ from shoulder separation operation. Unfortunately the pain is worse than ever, living on anti-inflammatories and painkillers, and have brought forward an appointment with consultant to later today.

Am hoping that I won’t need to be opened up again but am absolutely sick of pain and disturbed sleep. Can’t believe what a grumpy girl I’ve become. 😥

Edit: sorry but am not showing my scar!

oldgit
    Free Member

Lots of leg ones up there.

Fractured skull and two teeth out.
    Broken jaw and another tooth gone.
    Broken nose.
    (hairnet helmet days)

Ribs, three times.
    Broken wrist.
    Broken finger, which took ages and was very disruptive. Also left me with a permanently split finger nail – cloven hoof!

crazy-legs

Fractured pelvis.

Live in fear of that one.

tonto
    Free Member

I’ve stopped breathing on a few descents 🙂

tommo999
    Free Member

I broke my coccyx on my saddle. It took months until I could sit properly again. It still feels a bit brittle even now 😐

rocketman
    Free Member

this talk of weeks/months/years off is making me feel a bit better thanks

Much appreciated 😉

Solo
    Free Member

Broke my wrist and tore my face up.

Rode 12 miles home, had a hot bath and went to bed.

Attended A n E the next day.

EDIT:
    4 days off work, which was 150 miles from home.

plumber
    Free Member

went over on my hip about five years ago.

Smarted quite a bit at the time but developed into a big sack of puss larger than my hand could cover

3 months later I went over on the same hip – this time it hurt like an absolute **** – however ther fluid dispered of its own accord

Plum

other people have had it worse I see

bigjim

Not one specific injury, but hitting a car at about 25 mph led to what I believe is known in medical terminiology as a cluster***k of injuries, which kept me off the bike for about 6 months I think. Don’t recommend it.

paulevans
    Free Member

Fell off back of bike doing a wheelie. hit head (no helmet). Woke up in hospital 4 weeks later. Was told i had 1/2 hr to live at one point during the coma as they were struggling to keep my heart going. The hit to the head fractured my skull and caused minor brain damage leading to tests on brain activity over a period of months. Speach was mildly affected for a while.

Was a long time ago though. Only 4 when it happened, 42 now.

alfabus
    Free Member

Speach was mildly affected for a while.

<bites lip to avoid making joke in poor taste/>

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I did my knee in 2006, didn’t really ride again untill 2008. didn’t break anything but it just never quite recovered, even now I have to be really carefull about doing too much on it without building up the training really slowly and occasionaly it just packs up mid ride and i have to find a way home and/or stretch it every couple of miles to keep it moving untill I’m home 🙁

Broke my arm in December which was a PITA and still feels fragile even if it has healed up.

Solo
    Free Member

Broke my arm in December which was a PITA and still feels fragile even if it has healed up

Bust my wrist 1st October 2011.
    Moving weights in Nov.

You should be good to go, I’d have thought.

If not ?, get it checked out.

xiphon
    Free Member

Right wrist + right ankle (spiral fracture).

Chicksands 4X track….. sessioning the monster triple!

Scapegoat

Crushed two vertebrae first weekend in May 2010 and was Ok to ride on road by about July (short commutes only) . Didn’t ride MTB in anger for another two months though. Spent six months stoned, but bunged up on codeine 8)

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Broken collarbone, sustained rolling over a manhole cover that had a wheel-sized hollow covered by grass behind it that saw me over the bars in slow motion. About 50 yards from my front door.

The most innocuous fall imaginable, and the worst injury – the only bone I’ve ever broken. Put the wind up me good and proper, that did. Kept me off the bike for months. Any excuse!

PJM1974
    Free Member

Am just riding again after three months of post operative recuperation, following a Weaver Dunn procedure on my shoulder.

I hit a tree stump hidden in a patch of long grass whilst pedalling up hill and had an OTB moment. There was a loud “crunch” when I hit the ground and that was it.

kimbers

broke my heal (3 fractures) and a small fracture in my ankle last march/april

rode the megavalanche mid july

had 6 weeks supposedly imobile, but that was hard then another 3 weeks still on crutches
    did all my physio stretches with the big rubber bands, commuting to work by bike by week 10 and got swimming as soon as possible

mega was hard as id piled on the pounds and foot was still tender (I knocked it once in the race) probably took a year before id say it was fully healed

mrdestructo

Faceplant at 25mph+ ten years ago leading to mild traumatic brain injury (wearing a full facer and armoured up) Witness said I stopped moving for a couple of seconds then sat straight up swearing. Hospital said the, “electricity had probably stopped in your head during those seconds.” Guess I died and resurrected! Nowadays I just have to persuade myself I am old and in need of comfort because I still can’t go out riding where I get shaken too much or I suffer bad symptoms for weeks after. Guess it’s never going to ‘heal’.

Solo
    Free Member

Witness said I stopped moving for a couple of seconds then sat straight up swearing

LoL

10/10 for comedy

bikebouy
    Free Member

Collar bone, squidged off a roundabout by a skool run whirling dervish.

composite
    Free Member

Currently recovering from a broken arm. I still maintain landed mostly on my chest though. My chest has only really started hurting properly in the last day or 2; a week after the event. I guess the bruising is just coming out now. 🙁

smell_it
    Free Member

Road crash descending Mount Etna; I don’t really recall what happened I just woke up in hospital a very unhappy confused bunny, but I guess my front wheel washed out seemingly on a straightish bit?? Took the impact on my face breaking my nose, jaw and cheek bone. I lost 9 teeth, and a lot of skin from a variety of parts of my face and body. The hospital did a great job putting me all back together, with pins and some facial surgery to put my bottom lip straight, and after a further nose job and a lot of expensive dental work my new smile is actually far better than my old one. I do tend to keep a bit of a 5 o’clock shadow though as it masks a few of the scars. Rather interestingly they took some skin from just above and to the left of my ‘little fella’ to graft onto my hand and little finger, and I now get ‘pubes’ growing from near my left little finger knuckle.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘What's the biggest cycling injury you've recovered from?’ is closed to new replies.