• This topic has 256 replies, 88 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Mark.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 257 total)
  • What's the best way to service a Kona frame and how long should it take ?
  • kaesae
    Free Member

What's the best way anyone’s come across to remove a shock, check the frame pivot bearings then remove them if they need to be replaced on a Kona frame.

What kind of time does it usually take to do the job and what kind of tools are the best to use ?.

Anyone want to discuss this subject feel free to join my thread. Criticizers you have TV’s if you want to do that and the only time you waste is your own, as it should be. Constructive input or be ignored, let’s see if we can learn something for those of us that love working on bikes .

uplink
    Free Member

Teetosugars
    Free Member

😆 😆

kimbers

well shock removal takes 5 mins, look for bushing and upper shockmount bolt wear/ bending

bearings will be noticably notchy if they are shagged and easy to tell just moving the swingarm a bit

replacing the bearings in the rocker is easy to do with the right size socket or proper tool

removing and replacing the main pivot bearings is hard work using some sort of bearing pushing tool is the only way to do it a socket and hammer will take you about 2 days ime and be very careful not to damage the frame

boxelder

Just on the off chance that this isn't a troll/wind up.

You just use allen keys and spanners (sized appropriately), and then check for play.

You'll need to buy a bearing/bush kit – try betd.co.uk

If there is play, the bearings/bushes are all push fit, so no specific tools needed.

Most likely:
    1. Reducer bushes on the shock eyes
    2. seat stay end of rocker (bush)
    3. chain/seat stay bush

If this isn't fairly obvious without having to ask, you may be better going to your bike shop.

If anyone knows where to source individual bushes, to avoid buying a full kit, that would be useful.

crazy-legs

I'd have thought that with the experience you have of dealing with Konas and the general expertise you claim you'd be the one telling us!

See for example your own ebay ads HERE and HERE

kaesae
    Free Member

Crazylegs. I know how to do the job I’m interested in finding out different techniques and seeing if I can improve on my time. How would you do the job and how long would it take you ?.

kaesae
    Free Member

This isn't a wind up and any input will be greatly appreciated by me. I'm a genuine mechanic and love learing new techniques.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Is this a purchased or stolen Kona frame?

tazzymtb

leave the kona lying about for a bit, wait for it to dissapear, and then the magic "I've tuned your frame" pixies will fix it and paint it a horrible colour and then you can buy it back from ebay at an overinflated price.

kimbers

those main pivot bearings are the hardest bikeing related spannering ive ever come accross, im guessing youve tried to replace them and cant get the old ones out?

Smee
    Free Member

Home made bearing press will do the trick for the main pivot bearings – in and out.

tazzymtb

I use a bearing press for insertion and a bearing puller for removal, quicker, easier and you don't have to worry about twatting something with a hammer and drift by accident.

crazy-legs

How would you do the job and how long would it take you ?.

Allen keys and a punch/drift or puller to get the bearings out, press to refit.
    30 mins for a full shock removal, bearing replacement and shock refit. Add another 10-15 mins for a simple air can service of the shock. (this assumes that the frame is already stripped of all parts and the bearings aren't seized).

Next question?

bananaworld
    Free Member

If I remember rightly it's just a case of HAMMERZEIT!!! I'm sure it'll work for you.

kaesae
    Free Member

crazylegs any chance you can talk me through getting the main pivot axle out ?

Smee
    Free Member

Stick a suitable bolt most of the way in then **** it with a hammer.

kaesae
    Free Member

Banana world. How fast can you strip the frame and get all the bearings out ?.

bananaworld
    Free Member

Takes about a half-hour. That's using a Specialized FSR toolkit though (with some 'modifications'…)

The toolkit's great for FSRs (obviously…) but doesn't usually work for other frames as the bearings' internal diameters are ever-so-slightly different. However, correct use of random shims/washers/bent spokes results in it being able to cope with most situations.

Obviously it involves a little more than just 'ammerin' but an acute direct pressure applicator is indeed useful.

tazzymtb

kaesae- I'm still waiting for answer regarding my hub/pawl service on your other link, help please

guido

i can tell you but i cost £25 and you will have to send me the frame.

slowrider
    Free Member

im dying to know the full scandalous story behind this one

Coyote
    Free Member

Ditto slowrider. Feels like I've walked in half way through a good comedy film and even though it's still funny I'd have loved to see the first bit.

kaesae
    Free Member

Banana world. I can remove all the bearings including the rocker plate inserts and most other frame pivot bearings in under 10 mins 20 if I have to remove outer races from housings or anytihng tricky. What do you say to that ?

snaps
    Free Member

slowrider & Coyote – how long have you got?
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/whats-this-joker-on-about

Coyote
    Free Member

Holy flurking shnite!!! That 11 pages right there. I'll be back at beer o'clock to wade my way through it.

boblo
    Free Member

kaesae – Member
    Banana world. I can remove all the bearings including the rocker plate inserts and most other frame pivot bearings in under 10 mins 20 if I have to remove outer races from housings or anytihng tricky. What do you say to that ?

Errm I'm not Bananaworld (obviously) but do the bearings come out more quickly when frames are 'hot'? You know with all that expansion going on 😉

boxelder

Before you trawl through 11 pages, try this to get a flavour of where it went – kaesae concluded:

My time is too valuable to waist on this nonsense. I reject your way of life your bastard roman mentality and inbred church hypercritical perspective. You are wage slaves and fools distracted by nonsense when the rich own you for a few ££££’s an hour. While you waist your time on this delusional day dream, I’m working as hard as I can to get away from you before you completely destroy our country. Good luck with the rising crime rate, collapsing NHS that’s actually breading diseases and children being brought up by the streets. You guys know what your doing. So sad and pathetic you have nothing better to do than this, gibber gabber like old women.

Farewell ratty racers I leave you to chase your tails.

MattPhotos
    Free Member

Farewell ratty racers I leave you to chase your tails.

Judging by all the other spelling mistakes I can conclude he meant trails… nice enough way to end really.

0091paddy
    Free Member

What kind of idiot would spend that on a second hand Kona frame?

Coyote
    Free Member

NHS that’s actually breading diseases

Well that's the last time I get a sandwich from the hospital shop!

My curiousity is piqued. I shall read it later.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

kaesae – Member
    crazylegs any chance you can talk me through getting the main pivot axle out ?

so in summary;

kaesae sells "refurbished" full sus frames on ebay and claims mechanical prowess.
    kaesae sells bearing kits for kona frames, claiming to have fitted them to the dozens of Kona frames he's refurbished.
    kaesae has slagged the entire STW community for being in turn soulless consumerist puppets with their overpriced toys, and for riding cheap bikes.
    kaesae is now asking the STW community how to service kona main pivot bearings.

Thanks to the hypocritical contradictions I am not well disposed to telling him how easily I service my Coiler frame.

kaesae
    Free Member

Hey. I reckon I can strip the frame of all it's bearings in less than 5 and a half minutes. The nylon bushes not included. Anyone say other wise.

bananaworld
    Free Member

kaesae – Member

I say, "Whoop-de-****-doo, would you like a special medal?"

kaesae
    Free Member

Hello. what's a munqe. No I disagree I have insulted our idiotic way of life in this country and all those fools that would waste my time while I’m working and have tried to make sport of me. I bare no I’ll will to decent hard working people I was simply winding up the fools and giving you guys something different. As I have already said I do not consider this kind of thing to be serious and am only having fun. In a provocative and outrageous manner as is my right I didn’t choose to be involved in this. I simply wish to work on mountain bikes anyone with any techniques I don’t have already I’m interested to learn.

tazzymtb

"Anyone say other wise?"

Anyone give a flying f*ck?

Smee
    Free Member

I say that getting the bearings out of a kona frame is not a job to be rushed. I guess I could do them all in under a minute given a big enough hammer. Dont think the frame would be of much use afterwards though.

kaesae
    Free Member
    slowrider
    Free Member

fred now seems quite normal

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

You sad, sad boy.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 257 total)

The topic ‘What's the best way to service a Kona frame and how long should it take ?’ is closed to new replies.