What's the best value energy drink ?

Home Forum Bike Forum What's the best value energy drink ?

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • What's the best value energy drink ?
  • Premier Icon Shandy
    Subscriber

I’ve had to pish on my cassette a couple of times this week to clear out the snow – should I be taking less sodium to avoid rusting the drivetrain, or more to help with de-icing the cassette?

Its all so confusing.

crikey

for example you know those bags of saline used as IV1s? 9 g of soduim chloride per litre. Or if its a sugar / salt mix its 40 g of dextrose and 1.8 g of sodium chloride per litre. That is an isotonic mix

Sodium is the main electrolyte you need to replace what you sweat out You also need a bit of potassium and magnesium – happliy present in apple juice.

If you don’t replace the sodium and simply drink water you can reach hyponatreima – low sodium levels which leads to cramps, cerebral oedema and death.

TJ, big fat fail there I’m afraid.

Sweat is hypotonic; you lose far more water than salt by sweating.

This causes the salt concentration of your blood/body fluids to rise, not fall.

First of all, there is a key conceptual problem here, and that is that when you sweat, you don’t actually reduce electrolyte concentration. That is, there are certainly electrolytes in the sweat, but the concentration of these electrolytes is so low, that sweating is likely to make you HYPERTONIC, not hypotonic. We looked at this in our posts on fluid – when you sweat, you lose more water than electrolytes, because the sweat is HYPOTONIC. Therefore, sweating cannot lead to a fall in electrolyte concentration.

Have a read here…

http://www.sportsscientists.com/2007/11/muscle-cramps-part-1-theories-and.html

crikey

…and if you only drink water, your body has an amazing pair of organs that can very effectively restore the balance….

TandemJeremy

crikey – we are slightly at cross purposes.

Waht you say is true so long as you don’t drink anything. Drink just water and you can become low sodium. Also istonic is absorbed more quickly to rehydrate

My point about the saline drips was purely to point out to mcCavity that what he said about too much sodium was wrong. Your kidneys will get rid of any excess. Rehydrating someone with IVIs you put many grammes of Sodium into them

Of course you are right – your kidneys will restore there balance – assuming there is enough sodium left in your system but for most folk it is.

It doesn’t make much difference in the UK but when it’s really hot (summer in Europe) if I’m on raw carb energy drink with no salt I get cramp and headaches. Are you really saying drink plain water or unsalted maltodextrine?

Those Livestrong articles are hardly clear-

Hyponatremia occurs when your blood levels of sodium fall below 135 mEq/L, the Mayo Clinic notes. Exercise-related versions of the disorder most commonly appear in athletes who participate in activities such as triathlons or marathons, and result from excessive water consumption combined with the loss of sodium through sweating.

A different section on ‘what are the treatments for high sodium levels says –

Appropriate amounts of water, juices and other fluids consumed during the course of a day may help to prevent high sodium levels.

I can’t see anything that says ‘don’t drink isotonic drinks’ or ‘only drink plain water’ but obviously you don’t want to overdo it.

Macavity

http://www.sportsscientists.com/2007/11/sports-drinks-sweat-and-electrolytes_27.html

“So in fact ingesting Gatorade to thirst in younger subjects results in a rise in sodium concentration, which is why you drink more—you never lower your osmolality below the thirst threshold and therefore are thirstier when ingesting a sports drink, whereas with water you maintain the osmolality right around the thirst threshold and drink and abstain as your thirst comes and goes. With sports drinks you instead just get thirstier, which seems kind of ironic since their slogan is “The thirst quencher!””

Macavity

Sport nutrition: an introduction to energy production and performance
    By Asker Jeukendrup, Michael Gleeson

Pages 214-215

“The ideal drink for fluid replacement during exercise is one that tastes good to the athlete, does not cause gastrointestinal discomfort when consumed in large volumes (this rules out all fizzy carbonated drinks), promotes rapid gastric emptying and fluid absorption to help maintain extracellular fluid volume, and provides energy in the form of carbohydrates for the working muscles. Exercise subjects prefer cool, pleasantly flavoured, sweetend beverages, and the presence of sodium in the drinks seems to promote their consumption, probably by maintaining thirst.”

thomthumb

macavity have you ever tasted your sweat? does it taste salty?

mine does.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘What's the best value energy drink ?’ is closed to new replies.