Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • What's the best value energy drink ?
  • Whyte1
    Free Member

As above really , i dont get any tummy issues , but it needs to be berry flavour .

I’ve also heard you can get a very good custom made one too but i carnt remember where from .

Coyote
    Free Member

Coffee. Black and strong.

BoardinBob

Diluting juice, sugar and salt

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TandemJeremy
    Free Member

fruit juice water and salt

tony24
    Free Member

Happy shopper 30p energy drink taste the same as red bull 😆

cant stand the stuff myself.

jamesfifield

Are you talking about sports drinks or energy drinks?
    Sports drinks: the torq powder is really good, though for anything less than 2 hours i go for salt, squash, and sweetener.
    Energy drinks: Tesco KX and the sugar free stuff from them pack a he’ll of a punch.

jamesfifield

Are you talking about sports drinks or energy drinks?
    Sports drinks: the torq powder is really good, though for anything less than 2 hours i go for salt, squash, and sweetener.
    Energy drinks: Tesco KX and the sugar free stuff from them pack a he’ll of a punch.

baldSpot
    Free Member

is there an echo in here?

baldSpot
    Free Member

is there an echo in here?

njee20
    Free Member

Fruit juice would work out about the same price as most of the ‘proper’ energy drinks I reckon!

My quick mental arithmetic suggests High5 is about £1.20/litre, which isn’t bad IMO.

No idea what the best value is though, not Torq or Maximuscle, although the former do do a massive tub which may be good value.

Whyte1
    Free Member

sports drink .
    I’ve been using High 5 4;1 but you need to put use loads per lt so i go thriugh it very fast

njee20
    Free Member

You don’t have to mix it up as strong as they reckon. I use 2 level scoops in a small bottle, which I find plenty. Assume you’re buying the tubs, not the sachets?

Do you really need to use it all the time? You could only use it on longer/harder rides.

bloodynora
    Free Member

Tennants Super

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

BEER!

Whyte1
    Free Member

we never do any rides under 3hrs so i seem to need it for all of them as today i only used water and i noticed the ride slowly getting harder

njee20
    Free Member

How often are you riding and how much are you going through then? I find H5 tubs last me a few months at least.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

njee20 – Member

Fruit juice would work out about the same price as most of the ‘proper’ energy drinks I reckon!

My quick mental arithmetic suggests High5 is about £1.20/litre, which isn’t bad IMO.

As the dilution is 1/3 juice to 2/3 water it comes out at <30 p a litre

YOu are prepared to £1.20 a litre for a malotdextin mix? Crackers

njee20
    Free Member

No, I get it trade, and use it weaker than the suggested concentration. I suspect I’d still buy it at full price though, it works for me, it’s less hassle, find it v palatable etc. Having paid £30 for a race, £80 for a licence, travelled the length of the country to race, hotel, dinner, breakfast etc, a couple of quid on energy drink isn’t really worth worrying about!

There’s enough scientific evidence out there to suggest it works better than diluted apple juice if you’re really feeling argumentative.

oxym0r0n

PSP 11 with some squash in, although it looks from the SIS site that they don’t do it anymore 🙁

Oggles
    Free Member

Glucose powder. Salt. Squash for taste. Protein powder if you want this 4:1 stuff. Done.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

njee20 – Member

There’s enough scientific evidence out there to suggest it works better than diluted apple juice if you’re really feeling argumentative.

Well I would be very interested in seeing some. Diluted apple juice is an isotonic drink with a good mix of sugars and salts.

Macavity
    Free Member

What is the salt for?

brassneck

What is the salt for?

I guess it’s considered to be an adequate electrolyte replacement, but personally I find the mixtures used in Torq whatever they may be more effective than table salt.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Brassneck – really? You can tell the difference? The salt is for sodium replacement.

For what its worth diluted apple juice also contains potassium and magnesium salts which are the main other salts needed

crotchrocket
    Free Member

I’m a bit worried: it appears TJ is making sense.
    Have I been spiked with LSD?

DenDennis
    Free Member

not quite as practical as powder if you’re on a 100 miler road ride with various water stops en route of course- a factor for some..

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

crotchrocket – Member

I’m a bit worried: it appears TJ is making sense.
    Have I been spiked with LSD?

Sorry – normal service will be resumed shortly

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

myprotein.com

1 bag of maltodextrin (like sugar, but not sweet, and less stomach cramp inducing)

1 bag electrolyte

1 large scoop of the former for every hour over 2 hours at an average pace.

1 small scoop of the latter per hour in hot weather, 1 scoop in a ride if its cold.

Squash to taste.

I used to go for the 50/50 juice water with a pinch of salt, and this stuff is measuably better in terms of not hitting the wall, and doesn’t give me stomach ache like drinking juice for hours on end does.

ourmaninthenorth

What TINAS said, but I do a simpler mix:

2:1 maltodextrine to fructose.

For a 750ml bottle, I’ll mix no more than 80g powder, but these days just choose the right measure of the right sized spoon and shovel away. It’s flavourless (but sweet), and works fine for me.

Both from myprotein. Cheap and plentiful.

HarYuken
    Free Member

I do the same as the above 2 guys but with 60g maltodextrin per 750ml bottle and a pinch of Lo Salt for electolytes and Ribena for flavour.

I tried using a higher concentration (80g) using the 2:1 maltodextrin/fructose mix but it just mad me feel lethargic.

For recovery – 60g maltogextrin and 25g unflavoured whey with 2 tablespoons Tesco milkshake powder.

PeteB
    Free Member

Dioralyte, dextrose powder, fruit juice. Much cheaper than any sports drinks and any flavour you like.
    Holland and barretts do a good drink though when it is half price. About 500mg for about 3 quid. http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=550&prodid=567

Macavity
    Free Member

The salt in commercially made isotonic drinks is there to make you perpetually feel thirsty and therefore keep drinking their isotonic drinks.
    The reason that your body tries to get rid of excess salt through sweating when getting dehydrated is to avoid high-blood pressure, heart attack, brain damage and death.
    Even though your kidneys will be over loaded with the task of getting rid of salt some people believe that they need more salt.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Macavity – thats a load of rubbish. You lose sodium when sweating and need to replace it. isotonic drinks are more easily absorbed.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Macavity – am I reading that properly?

Ideally, the salt concentrations in the liquid drunk should correspond to the salt concentrations in the sweat, that is about 2.5 to 3.5 grams per litre.
    In practice, 1 gram per litre proves adequate insofar as the kidney, in a rest situation, lets sodium pass, whereas under effort, this filtering organ puts up a “block” to restrict its elimination

>1g a litre is pretty salty – I know i don’t put more than that in when i’m mixing my own. That article is talking about the practice of taking salt tablets.

Macavity
    Free Member

>1g a litre is more than pretty salty probably well into hypernatremia teritory.

But does the human body benefit from NaCl (or even need salt NaCl)
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/274552-what-are-the-treatments-for-high-sodium-levels/

rootes1

re ‘salt’- the electrolyte mixes in drinks etc can be more than just sodium chloride (two electrolytes)..

example torq includes Sodium Chloride, Magnesium, Potassium and Calcium (assuming not in their pure forms!)

the myprotein electrolyte mix contains:
    Sodium Chloride, Potassium Sulphate, Calcium Di Phosphate, Magnesium Oxide.

not sure whether these electrolytes work, but i found that using a drink without in the hot summer led to more headaches, feeling tired etc

as for the OP, i mix from big bags frustose and maltodextrin + electrolytes from myprotein with dash of squash for taste

jonb
    Free Member

I just see what’s on offer. Tesco near me stocks most big brands and frequently has offers on.

I’ve used discount suppliments before (search for the high5 race pack) and also http://www.energy4sport.com/

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

McCavity – still a load of piffle you are saying.

for example you know those bags of saline used as IV1s? 9 g of soduim chloride per litre. Or if its a sugar / salt mix its 40 g of dextrose and 1.8 g of sodium chloride per litre. That is an isotonic mix

Sodium is the main electrolyte you need to replace what you sweat out You also need a bit of potassium and magnesium – happliy present in apple juice.

If you don’t replace the sodium and simply drink water you can reach hyponatreima – low sodium levels which leads to cramps, cerebral oedema and death.

brassneck

Brassneck – really? You can tell the difference? The salt is for sodium replacement.

For what its worth diluted apple juice also contains potassium and magnesium salts which are the main other salts needed

Yes I can, when drinking 2L or so. For an hour I stick with water, for 2 might go for 50/50 fruit juice but to be honest I get a big tub of Torq for Christmas and birthday and it lasts me all year bar any ‘racing’ commitment, even for my normal 2 and a bit hours on the weekend. Couple of scoops for a bottle if I’m not expecting a hard time, mix it up properly if I am. I don’t think the big tubs stack up too badly on price once you include maltodextrin, flavour, the added fructose, and the salts.. and if if they did I’ll pay a little for the convenience.

I know people who do W2 on 2 500ml bottles of water, but I know equally well even when I was actually fit I was better with Torq than without. YMMV.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘What's the best value energy drink ?’ is closed to new replies.