Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • What's the best tyre sealant this week?
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

Got my 26″ hardtail to do and my 650b Trance. I hear good things about Orange Seal.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Stans? Never had issues

aphex_2k
    Free Member

TBF I can’t remember what I used last time. I think it was some generic shit from the LBS (True Blue or something).

Also, does anyone actually clean the old dried up stuff out? I really cannae be fked!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

no, it’s a layer on the tyre (probably) so I don’t bother

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Stans + glitter FTW.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Stans pro.

jonnyboi

I’ve had issues with stans, the latex separated from the fluid and I was left with a clear oily fluid that did nothing to seal a puncture. That was after six months use, don’t know if the bike was exposed to extreme heat or cold though. Will be trying the pro version next

kimbers

Got some cheap NRG stuff from on-one, no punctures. In a couple of years of use, well 1 tyre split, but that’s different

garage-dweller

I’ve used Slime for a long while (MTB only). It’s what both LBS have. It’s co2 friendly (afaik) and I’ve got ghetto and proper running on it ok. It is unbelievably sticky if you get it on you.

No complaints but it’s been so long since I used something different (and I have no inclination to) I wouldn’t like to say nothing else is better.

stevedoc
    Free Member

I use Joes and my kids purple glitter ,works well and if I do get a flat at least it will look f**king fantastic 😉

fifeandy
    Free Member

I’ve only ever used Conti RevoSealant – seems to work so haven’t seen a reason to change.

moonsaballoon

Is putting glitter in the sealant helpful ? Hadn’t heard of this before

Northwind

moonsaballoon – Member

Is putting glitter in the sealant helpful ? Hadn’t heard of this before

It definitely seems to help on porous tyres. Might or might not help with punctures, I feel like every flat is a bit different so you just don’t know. But what I am sure is that it doesn’t cause any harm…

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Ah well, bombed to the LBS at 17:55….. (no need to rush as they’re open til 7… doh)

Orange Seal “Enduro” no idea what the diff is between standard and enduro. Anyhoo, both wheels done. The satisfying “pop” as both tyres seated a dream. Small hiss from around the front valve but after a wee shake no leaks or hisses in either wheel. Same amount in both wheels. I can hear it slosh in the front (which I cleaned of old gunk) but couldn’t be bovvered clearing the back so we’ll see how it goes. Both wheels have Maxxis tyres and the Spank wheels “Bead bite” held with just a track pump blowing them up so quite happy in that sense. Didn’t bother with glitter :/

jonnyboi

will def use the glitter in future, just need to make sure it matches my spokey dokeys

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

Minor thread hijack..
    Does anyone have a recommendation for an alternative to Stan’s that doesn’t dry out.?
    All my bikes are kept in the house and I’m finding that Stan’s and the couple of other latex based sealants I’ve tried are drying out in a matter of 2-3 weeks..

aphex_2k
    Free Member

The stuff I had in before was called “TrueBlueGoo” and lasted a year without drying out (a year in Australia with bike kept in a tin shed in 40+ heat).

Did you leave your bike near a radiator?

mikedabear
    Free Member

Orange seal is the best I have used. I also have Spank rims with bead bite. I do clean out my tyres and rims. I base it on the fact that if you knock up plaster in a bucket that hasn’t been cleaned it goes off much faster and so I assume the same will happen with latex. Also foe me wheels off is an opportunity for a deep clean. I don’t ever use glitter. I did read somewhere that it is not good practice.

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

Not near a radiator, it’s propped up against a cupboard in a room full of bikes and computers, room temperature is a pretty constant 20C except at night or when we are out when it is allowed to drop from there.. (taco smart thermostat!)
    Will see if I can find the TrueBlueGoo, haven’t heard of that one before.

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

Looks like that Trueblue stuff is only available in Australia and NZ..

bungalistic
    Free Member

My bike is kept in the house and the sealant isn’t drying out (Stans). I use about 100ml in each tyre, about 2 of those small white bottles you can get.

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

Hmm… weird. Maybe I’m doing something else wrong then.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Does anyone have a recommendation for an alternative to Stan’s that doesn’t dry out.?

Stans pro.

bungalistic
    Free Member

Could be dependant on tyres too, maybe some need more. I know that when i’ve used less sealant it gets used to seal the pores and stuff then the small amount leftover dries up quicker.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘What's the best tyre sealant this week?’ is closed to new replies.