Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Whats THE best tyre for wet roots and wet rock ?
  • yetiguy
    Free Member

Forget rolling resistance, etc etc – What is hands down the best wet root and rock tyre.

Sick of my mountain kings slipping all over the place.

RealMan
    Free Member

Love my conti rubber queens.

singlecrack
    Free Member

one made of toffee 😆

Smee
    Free Member

Spesh Captains.

thv3
    Free Member

Maxxis High Roller Super Tacky, I swear by them.

TheMooMonkey
    Free Member

Maxxis High Roller Super Tacky, I swear by them.

+1

yetiguy
    Free Member

Maxxis High Roller Super Tacky, I swear by them

Front and back?

grumm
    Free Member

Maxxis High Roller Super Tacky

Yeah if grip is all you are worried about, these are the ones. Does feel a bit like riding through treacle on climbs though.

bereavementmonkey
    Free Member

bonty ACX never looked back.

dano
    Free Member

i like my panaracer cinders… pretty good all rounders which also grip

ddmonkey

High rollers – 60a on the back and a super tacky on the front?

thv3
    Free Member

A super tacky on the front, 60a on the back is what I tend to use as two supertackys grip like hell but also drag where as the ST/60a combo seems to be the best all round compromise for me.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

+1 for Panaracer Cinders, and also liking the Rampage now, with the soft compound version up front. If you are talking mud tyre, then Pan Trailrakers stick like dog do to a blanket

carlos
    Free Member

+2 for the Cinders, I used to run a rampage up front with one and liked that combo. Although I ride with BG 2.35 Nevegals now as I like a bit of drift here and there 🙂

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

Kenda Dred Treads,great on roots and rocks,shite in the mud.

stratobiker
    Free Member

Maxxis Swamp Thing Super Tacky.

It's what DownHillers use in the wet.

SB

mrh86

+1 for 2.35" maxxis high rollers, 60a folding on the back, super tacky on the front.

I moved from 2.1" advantages, really noticed the increased rolling resitatnce, but defintely worth it for the additional grip!

kamina
    Free Member

Does Maxxis make the Super Tacky Highroller in folding?

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

super tacky high rollers here too!

. . Not sure on the folding super tacky tbh . .

Lionheart
    Free Member

Yes we have a set of folding single ply High Rollers Super Tacky, very good but if we want super grip its Wet Screams, Sprog James uses both of these when racing DH in 'difficult' conditions on wet roots rocks etc. I have a set of Trail Rakers also amazing grip in all sorts of conditions

boxelder

Maxxis Ardent

devs
    Free Member

+1 Swampthing. My fave combo for grip is 2.5 ST Swampie on front and 2.5 60a HR rear. They get you fit!

ton

swampthings here too.

deluded
    Free Member

2.35 Swampthing on the front, 2.0 Bontrager Mud X on the rear.

RepacK
    Free Member

Not Kenda Nevegals – **** shite! Im binning mine & sticking my HR's back on!

Northwind

Just about anything in supertacky really, the rubber's as soft as chewing gum. Or Nevegals in the 2.35 stick-e- the slow rebounding carcass really helps on roots I find, the tyre wraps itself round them (and not such a brutal rolling resistance penalty, and better lifespan, than supertackys.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Not trying to sound like a smart ass, and forgive me for stating the obvious but in my experience most trails consist of mud/gravel etc interspersed with wet roots and rocks. Not just some sort of giant root and rock jungle.

The absolute ultimate in terms of grip in muddy wet conditions is the wet scream, the grip is unbelievable and they shed mud better than any other tyre. Hands down the best grip in adverse conditions. If you disagree then you clearly haven't used them. However, spikes can be unpredictable on off camber roots and rocks and are probably best left for the real men anyway. Super tacky high rollers strike a good balance as they cling well to root and rock, clear mud okay and drift predictably.

sangobegger
    Free Member

Nearly bald panaracer cinders,run at low pressure.Fine if you are a light rider but snakebite like hell otherwise.Usually run 2 ply maxxis minions or a swampthing mix(supertackys) – NEVER flat on these babys – EVER!

nickc

It doesn't matter mostly. What tyres you run…

Really, mostly (and I use the word advisedly) it's about confidence. If you think the tyres are good, then you'll probably mostly do OK, if the reverse is true, then you'll mostly crash.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

…Mountain Kings, apparently* 8)
    * That's a fail, in case you hadn't noticed (I don't want to be held responsible for anything awful happening)

nickc

See? some Mountain Kings are OK…

furry_marmot
    Free Member

SwampThing (in super tacky flavour on the front). WetScream is designed for deep mud, not wet rocks – as MisterGnar says it slides around on these if you're not careful. SwampThing is the ideal compromise tyre for mixed wet conditions: better in mud than a Minion and better on rocks than a WetScream. you could always cut down the central spikes on the WetScream, but unless you're racing this is probably overkill…

dreednya

Nowt wrong with Mountain kings in 2.4 with black chilli compound, just run them ghetto tubeless with 25-28 psi. Even better are the Conti Rubber Queens 2.2 with black chilli compound run the same way :o).

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Continental Verticals 2.3's (F & R) are proving to be excellent so far- llandegla in the snow / slush yesterday, Rivi in high winds and wet, Gisburn in lashing down rain – all done with confidence on them.

Loads more confidence in them above my previous Kenda Nevegral's and High rollers.

Cheap too. 😀

Should add though, good technique on sh1te tyres will be better thna poor technique on great tyres.

superdan

Mr Gnar: Wet Screams are very specificly for sloppy mud, the long spikes on an uncut WetScream is terrifying on rocks and roots. Only really used on DH tracks covered in gravy like mud, and long grassy finishes through fields.

Swamp Things are the way forward on Rocks and Roots. 2.5 ST Swampies will rip up a summer time road though, pelting you with tarmac as you sweat up it

Northwind

But then again, a 2.5 swampthing is a motorbike tyre :mrgreen:

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Bonty MudX

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

superdan – Member

Mr Gnar: Wet Screams are very specificly for sloppy mud, the long spikes on an uncut WetScream is terrifying on rocks and roots. Only really used on DH tracks covered in gravy like mud, and long grassy finishes through fields.

That's what they are intended for. Sure. Doesn't mean they don't provide incredible grip in most wet riding conditions, which they do – in spades. I got over my fear of riding at speed over wet roots a good while ago and barely notice the spikes lack of grip there unless I hesitate.

High Rollers were apparently designed for "loose over hard pack" whatever that is, that's how they used to be categorised if I recall correctly, but I find them a great all year, all condition tyre, with the obvious exception of very wet weather…when I don the wet screams and usually listen to a chorus of people moaning "oh thats not fair, you've got spikes on..I have no grip etc etc etc".

No need to stick dogmatically to the manufactures description. They often change anyway.

Blower
    Free Member

what ar ze rampage's like im intrigued..?

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Blower

what ar ze rampage's like im intrigued..?

Horse shit. If horse shit had softer side walls.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Whats THE best tyre for wet roots and wet rock ?’ is closed to new replies.