Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • What’s the best tyre for an old railway line?
  • poe82
    Free Member

So I’m thinking about commuting on an old railway line because it’s fairly direct and much nicer than being on the road but when I tried riding on the loose stones it was awful.
    It’s basically still the old railway ballast with the sleepers and rails etc removed which means loose energy sapping stones. I tried riding it on my normal HT 29er with 2.4 tyres. Would I be better off with a fat bike or slicks or something else? Any ideas? It’s far too slow to be an option at the moment.

scotroutes

Fatbike is, indeed, the answer.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

BadlyWiredDog

Something with plus tyres would work pretty well, say 650b with 2.8″ or 3.0″ tyres if you don’t want to go full fat.

tjagain

Given my fatbike floats over cobbles that shake your teeth out on normal tyres I would think it a good bet.

damascus
    Free Member

What was wrong with the

HT 29er with 2.4 tyres

Or is this an excuse for n+1?

How much of the route is the railway track? Fat bike tyres are OK for off road but what about the rest?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Been a while since I last rode it, but I found 2.35″ G1 up front with 4″ JJ rear works well on the Meon Valley Trail.

However, iirc that old railway line is soil rather than gravel, which can be littered with big puddles if it’s been raining.

Perfect terrain for a gravel/adventure bike.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘What’s the best tyre for an old railway line?’ is closed to new replies.