Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)
  • What's the best thing humans have ever done?
  • LycraLout
    Free Member

chips.
    realising that potatoes are there in the first place
    that oil can be extracted from plants
    oil can be heated
    sliced potatoes can be chucked into the oil

then the flour, yeast, etc combination needed to make butties

then, as if that’s not enough – brown sauce.

RustySpanner

Laughing at farts.

Chocolate.

Italian Motorcycles.

American Guitars.

And beans on toast, obviously.

duntmatter
    Free Member

It hasn’t happened yet. Which is nice.

ahwiles
    Free Member

we’ve all got one:

people like to live near other people, prior to the bog this meant we all died of poo related disease before we had a chance to invent everything we now enjoy as part of a modern life style.

hooray for the khazi!

allthegear
    Free Member

Ridding the world of smallpox. Pretty amazing coordination of work in every country. Now if only we could repeat the same for a few other contagious diseases…

Rachel

LycraLout
    Free Member

And beans on toast, obviously.

clever.

melting cheese over the beans – a triumph of human achievement

dandelionandmurdoch
    Free Member

I may be biased (being human and vegan) but…

Recognising that we can overcome our “animal” instincts.

Pretty unique on Earth, I believe.

djglover
    Free Member

Beer

konaboy2275
    Free Member

Wide bars? (I don’t own any mind)

On a serious note;

Having the ability to recognise that we affect our environment and are more than likely exceeding it’s capability to support our population indefinately with our current technologies. Whether we do anything with this knowledge may constitute the next best or worst thing we do as a species.

matthewjb
    Free Member

The wheel? Or maybe pizza?

kaesae
    Free Member

❗ Evolved anyone ❓

M1llh0use
    Free Member

the sinle biggest achievement was learning to cook food with fire.

FACT

without that the human brain would not have developed inthe way it has.

(and beer)

CaptJon
    Free Member

Shimano’s silent rear hub.

GrahamA
    Free Member

The heavy plough as it allowed subsistence farmers to produce a surplus which could in turn be used to support a new layer of society that didn’t need to spend all its time hunting/farming who could then go on to spend time doing maths and astrophysics.

Plus you can use it to make more beer.

The writing as it allows knowledge to be stored and disseminated.

Peyote
    Free Member

the sinle biggest achievement was learning to cook food with fire.

FACT

without that the human brain would not have developed inthe way it has.

Not really questioning this, more a comment on the way it’s written! I could easily accept that the human brain wouldn’t have developed without using cooked food (at least from a physiological point of view). However, when someone puts “FACT” into a post (or says it out loud when talking) I immediately become suspicious and my level of trust in that opinion drops markedly.

Just needed to let someone out there know.

Anyway, beer and bread have both been mentioned. I reckon therefore that the exploitation of yeast has got to be quite a good achievement, closely followed by distillation!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Recognising that we can overcome our “animal” instincts.

Have we invented fire yet?

Oh, okay, good…. Burn him!!

philconsequence
    Free Member

well sirs your contributions have been considered and unfortunately it’s down to me to come along and end the thread….

Con Air.

Peyote
    Free Member

Have we invented fire yet?

Oh, okay, good…. Burn him!!

That reminds me, Witchcraft and Paganism was a pretty good invention, shame it all went a bit wrong when the monotheisms started to get a big following.

Harry_the_Spider

BluTack.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

All hail the lord, for he has spoken and bestoweth open thee the glory that is Cameron Poe.

‘Never leave a fallen man behind’

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Peyote… I already said religion.

Burn him!

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Moon landing.

In a single human lifespan we got from the first manned flight to putting men on the moon and returning them safely to earth.

It may not be the best in terms of human evolution or the greatest benefit to humankind. But in terms of awe inspiring unifying achievement it is our greatest hour.

Davesport

I was going to say “melting the icecaps” has to be up there ! But for me it has to be <cue drum roll> Laxatives. Nobody would give a $hit 😀

yunki
    Free Member

fire.. music.. beer.. art..

everything else is just geeks freaks and wierdos showing off and has caused far far more problems than it was ever worth..

(excepting maybe Dr Albert Hoffmans discoveries.. and bikes)

mansonsoul
    Free Member

Making bicycles, obviously.

EDIT: oh, and toe socks.

thebunk

Erotic Fridge Magnets:

feather
    my
    pink
    dog
    apparatus

Stoner
    Free Member

language.

It gives us the ability to record/pass on knowledge and communicate. Ultimately more effective in creating a top of the pile organism than relying on physical evolution alone.

CheesybeanZ

green chilli masala ..

soft bog roll 😳

kaesae
    Free Member

Language, the sciences and the arts.

8)

GlitterGary
    Free Member

The Iphone.

Desks and tables were left suspiciously bare with nothing to display on them for all to see and envy and be dead impressed at.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I cant believe no-one has considered the wonder that is Worms 2: Armageddon! Best cure for depression i’ve come across…

Keva
    Free Member

Language, the sciences and the arts.

yup… also writing and architecture.

Kev

molgrips
    Free Member

Time travel.

Greetings from 3246 AD

It would be indeed fantastic if the closest we get to time travel in the future is being able to connect to the internet of 2011 and log onto forums.

Imagine the fun one could have 🙂

duntmatter
    Free Member

However, when someone puts “FACT” into a post (or says it out loud when talking) I immediately become suspicious and my level of trust in that opinion drops markedly.

I agree. OPINION.

(is that better?)

Kevevs
    Free Member

developed the ability to use imagination and creativity, otherwise we wouldn’t have extreme chilli heatwave doritos.

samuri
    Free Member

We haven’t done it yet. The day we kill everyone will be the day we achieve perfection.

We’re spore. We’re scum. We’re viruses. The sooner the species dies, the better.

Kevevs
    Free Member

thanks for that Samuri.

TheFlyingOx

Why not make a point, samuri? Go on. An hero.

samuri
    Free Member

No problem. Name something worse that has happened to this planet than the human race…..

Kevevs
    Free Member

That’s such a depressing point of view Samuri. Wouldn’t this planet be meaningless without something to attach meaning and value to it? Humans are the only species capable of that kind of thought process. so, without us, The planet would just be another thing floating about in space. That sounds arrogant, I know. I suppose it depends how much you value human consciousness, you obviously don’t. You have my sympathy.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘What's the best thing humans have ever done?’ is closed to new replies.