Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • What’s the best thing about your job?
  • paulosoxo
    Free Member

Inspired by the teacher thread, what do you REALLY love about your job?

Me? The fact that for 6 months of the year, I work summer shifts that are only 4 days a week.

darrell
    Free Member

that i can leave all the work AT work

monkeyfiend
    Free Member

I get to break things safe in the knowledge that no-ones going to get upset.

ourmaninthenorth

The cash.

And that’s pretty sh*t.

hora
    Free Member

I’m a Chaperone for a leading Model agency. I have to look after the nutritional and hotel arrangements for our models. The hours are long but I chaperone models around the world, often sleeping in the same rooms to ensure they get an early night and are safe. Its hard and the rewards can be interesting.

A sort of Jailer, where the inmate trades/buys perks for freedom.

Stoner
    Free Member

the money and the 2 or 3 day week.

And sometimes some of the big-willy sized projects I get to be involved in. Unfortunately theyre so big you only get maybe one glory-shot a year if you’re lucky.

geoffj

4 day week, final salary pension scheme, work from home, some of the folk I work with.

Fraz
    Free Member

The fact that I start my new job in a few weeks and the chances of being made redundant are zero.

Plus its awesome and Ive wanted to do it for a very very very long time.

DezB
    Free Member

The money.

skidartist
    Free Member

A sort of Jailer, where the inmate trades/buys perks for freedom.

Will esselgruntfuttock be along in a minute to say the same thing? he he

For me I’m self employed rather than in a job. And I’ve got a pretty broad practice. There is very little repetition with lots of variation is the scale, nature and the pace of jobs. Theres also a lot of satisfaction in completing things, partly because you can step back and say ‘I did that’, but also once a job is done its done, issue an invoice and forget about it.

thegreatape
    Free Member

What’s the awesome and redundant proof job?

muggomagic

i’m being made redundant

geoffj

What’s the awesome and redundant proof job?

??

Fraz
    Free Member

lol.

Its not that.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I get to live and work in the Lake District.

The scenery.

The light, especially early/late in the day.

Pretty high levels of freedom (ie not working outside today as it is grim, so sitting home, laughing at my animals and trying to get some wedding photographs finished off and up into the sales gallery).

Going to have to make better use of my new found locale soon, just too much going on in life at the moment to be able to settle and enjoy myself. Hopefully that will all work itself out in the next few weeks though.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

The best thing about my job is that I may be redundant in about 3 hours time!

muggomagic

Lucky fellow Scienceofficer. I hope you have something lined up. I have another 3 weeks before they will let me go (I’ve known about it for over a year now), and now it’s really starting to drag.

johni
    Free Member

Leaving at 4.30pm each day and internet access to STW :o)

lister

putting on a wet cold wetsuit, and getting into the cold wet sea, and then standing on a cold wet rock, while cold wet clients jump into the cold wet sea then getting changed in a cold wet carpark and doing it all again after lunch! 🙂

hora
    Free Member

RobS are you interested in a tie-in with another (owner/photographer) who is based in Edinburgh? Overspill work (too many bookings coming in etc)

IHN

The non-contributory final salary pension scheme. It’s pretty much the only thing keeping me here.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

The money.

The company car.

The rest of it is sh1te.

chakaping
    Free Member

Being my own boss.

grumm
    Free Member

I get to do fun, varied, interesting, creative stuff, work with people that I like and respect, feel I am doing something positive/worthwhile, have completely flexible hours/can work at home, get paid ok, can cycle to work, and only work 4 days a week (or less). 😀

Fraz
    Free Member

grummm.. are you a house husband ?? 🙂

grizzlygus
    Free Member

The complete lack of sun-dried tomato eating, white chocolate mocha drinking, “cherished numberplate” drivers.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I don’t love anything about my job.

I would really love to do something else, but I doubt I will, because

a) it’s very secure
    b) the pension is good
    c) the pay is fair
    d) I don’t know what else to do

I wish I had the balls of some of the people who have just jacked there safe jobs in and done something else. I think I’m too risk averse to do it myself though. At least I can retire when I’m 50 and do whatever I want then.

Gooner
    Free Member

money is good
    the work can be interesting
    only 30 – 35 hours a week

grumm
    Free Member

Fraz – nope. I work for a community music charity. I deliver workshops/sessions on a range of music stuff, do studio recording/music production, design flyers etc, and organize festivals and events. First job I have ever enjoyed.

IanMunro
    Free Member

The causual no strings sex.
    It hasn’t happened yet, but when it does, it will definitely be the best bit of my job.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

The money, being based in my home office, shedloads of airmiles, excitement of closing deals. Unfortunately 60 hours a week and plenty of stress. Will probably be able to live with it for about another 3 years

ourmaninthenorth

CaptainMainwaring – let me guess: corporate finance consultant?

twinklydave

the fact that i’ve not actually done any work today and no-one seems to mind 🙂

(actually, that’s not strictly true, I’ve helped someone else out with a non-work website, using the company’s equipment, and still no-one seems to mind)

oh and the holidays and flexi-time
    and the unrestricted internet access
    and the fact that i can ride my bike round the store room like a big kid 😀
    oh and the occasional pretty student girlies too…

noteeth
    Free Member

Gazing with speechless adoration at a certain staff nurse.

Looking after elderly patients – who, in a quiet moment, will tell you how they survived Dunkirk.

Helping to get people into emergency surgery faster than you can say “exsanguination.”

NHS pension (if I survive that long).

djglover
    Free Member

Working from home

Stoner
    Free Member

noteef – are you at Addys?

noteeth
    Free Member

are you at Addys?

Nope. Southampton-based for now… returning to my spiritual home (Bristol) soon.

One of these days… you, GG & I are going to meet up and go for a ride. It will be the mountain biking version of Davos. Possibly. 🙂

ton

the cash i make on the side extra to my wage.
    stw all day long.

Swiftacular
    Free Member

I love my job, it’s officially classed as a national assett (my workplace), so the chances of redundancy are close to zero, and i only work 22 weeks a year for a decent salary, only downside is frequent helicopter rides.

avdave2

Best thing: The travelling
    Worst thing: See above

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘What’s the best thing about your job?’ is closed to new replies.