Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 132 total)
  • What's the best piece of work related advice you've ever been given?
  • chewkw
    Free Member

Remember most people have certain degree of evil in them but they just do not know about it. 😯

hooli

Don’t be a c*&^ and you’ll be fine.

perchypanther
    Free Member

If all the staff are invited to a meeting with no published agenda in a hotel at 4pm on a Tuesday, it’s unlikely to end well. 😥

richmars

If all the staff are invited to a meeting with no published agenda in a hotel at 4pm on a Tuesday, it’s unlikely to end well.

And if you’re not invited, it’ll be even worse.

edd
    deadkenny
    Free Member

gatsby – Member
    “Early is on time, on time is late, late is no good to me…”

My parting words to an ex-employee. I got sick of him rolling in at 2-minutes past nine and going to make himself a brew!

Did it make a blind bit of difference to his job what time he turns up?

Accepted it might be a job that requires you to be there at a specific time. I can’t stand office environments where the time has no relevance to the job other than for clock watching managers to have something to do or for smug early birds to tut because they get in at 7am and bog off at 3 or 4pm.

Of course if he’s crap at the job then fine. Soon find out.

loddrik
    Free Member

I gave it to myself. It went something like this….

‘Ok, so I’m nearly 40 hours down on my flex time, there’s no way I’m going to make that back as I hate working. How about, get up early every day, go into work at 6.30, sign in, go home and back to bed for a couple of hours then come into work at 9ish as normal. The flexitime deficit would be gone in a few weeks.’

I very nearly got away with it, and I did get away with some of it.

allthegear
    Free Member

Work to live

Rachel

alishand

I had a boss who once told me that when writing essays, business cases, policy documents, always ask yourself:

“Who give a s***, and why should they give a f***”

Helps you cut the BS and get right to the point. All killer, no filler if you will.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Your strengths are also your weeknesses

stewartc
    Free Member

Treat people as you would like to be treated, not as they treat you.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Oh, and if something tells you something’s obvious then it’s probably not, if they can’t tell you why it’s obvious then it’s probably wrong.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Man who stands on head has clean feet.

slackalice
    Free Member

” The difference between a good boatbuilder and a bad boatbuilder is the good boatbuilder learns how to get around their mistakes”

Given to me 34 years ago whilst training to be a wooden boatbuilder by a man who had started building and repairing wooden boats as a 14 year old in the early 1930’s. He knew stuff 8)

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Aim for the best expect the worst.

Never help a man who’s struggling (job preservation that lad eiii).

He who tries hard and works his best goes down the road like all the rest.

Doctors bury their mistakes, ours are there for everyone to see.

Work a lot like life you get used to disappointment.

ourmaninthenorth

@ edd – did I really write that? Well, I’m glad it was of some use..!

It illustrates my second point above: where possible go to something, never from it.

Since then I moved from being an M&A lawyer to an in-house lawyer in a tech company to a commercial guy in the same tech company. I’ve been promoted and earn about double what Indid when I wrote that original post.

Solicitors’ practising certificates are renewed on 31st of October every year. I got a reminder today. I’m not going to renew it.

The only question is: what next?

Zedsdead
    Free Member

The advice I give (and it applies to everyone, myself included) is this:

Never forget rule number 1.

Rule Number 1 – Don’t be a dick.

yossarian
    Free Member

It really is all about people and how you read them

Generally if you are creatively satisfied the rewards will make you happy

Integrity is what gets respect

righog
    Free Member

“Keep the pits full”

deadslow

Don’t screw the crew

timber

Don’t put your fingers there – relates to a lot of the machinery we use, still have my fingers.

somafunk

Rule #1 : Don’t go over the side – you’ll drown before we can get a line to you.

Fishing boats obviously, there were other snippets of advice but i expect they’d get me a banning if i phrased them.

Spin
    Free Member

Follow the procedures.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Coffee’s for closers

konabunny
    Free Member

And finally, one that Dilbert taught me but is a universal truth. If you ignore something long enough it will go away.
    The number of times that someone is desperate for some info/response/report etc. You ignore it for 24/48 hours and hey presto, they’ve resolved it another way.

Yup. The laziest bastard ever told me “you know, if you just ignore people asking you to do stuff, it turns out that most of it didn’t need to be done in the first place”. But he was wrong it just meant someone else ended up doing it

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Cash is king

Plan for the worst, hope for the best

If you can’t dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit (Bond trader in the 80s)

Hit the pause button….

joemc
    Free Member

You see none of this sh*t is either any more, or any less, important than a game of chess. When you sit at the board, you give it your all to win – death or glory – and you die inside if you lose a significant game. But, once you walk away from the board it’s totally irrelevant who won or lost. You’ll still go home and have your tea. After 5 o’clock this loads of boll*cks disappears.

It’s been a gospel of mine ever since.

stick_man

If you let people shit on you, they will.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

‘Righty tighty, lefty loosey’, there’s a bit more to mechie fittin but no much 🙂

tomkerton
    Free Member

When I was scaffolding/putting up marquees…regarding fittings and joints…. never put your finger somewhere you wouldn’t put your cock.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

When it all goes tango uniform…

‘Sometimes even monkey fall out of tree’

… thanks, Spey.

1981miked
    Free Member

From a guy at my work:

“**** the bastards” (Apologies for language)

My old Ice Hockey coach:

“You can only piss with the cock you’ve got”

“If you believe you can or can’t… Your probably right”

Mine is more of a reflection on my place of work..

It’s like Mushroom management in here.. Kept in the dark and fed on shite!

Seriously though, some really good ones here. I live by the old “work to live, don’t live to work”. But I still spend far to much time at work, it’s a “perk” of the job being a lorry driver apparently, and the never Assume one previously mentioned.

Looking for a change though.

CHB

“Theres a big difference between 5 years experience and one years experience repeated five times.”
    Reminds me never to get stale in a job.
    I also like a lot of John Ruskin quotes, especially:
    There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man’s lawful prey.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Have we done “shit rolls down hill” yet?
    The most real piece of advice I ever had, felt wrong the first time I gave it, I was advising another not telling them, but it is true 🙁

peajay

To simplify my job referring to trains, don’t hit them together, keep them off the stones and don’t kill anyone. If I can manage this then hopefully I won’t get sacked or jail!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You have 2 ears and one mouth, try and use them in that proportion.

No matter how much we disagree we agree I public.

Although honesty is good for the business it might not be good for your career.

BigJohn

The only person who cares that you tried hard is your mum.

And, from a carpentry point of view:

Keep it as long as you can for as long as you can.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

“you’re only as good as your last job”

-something for when you’re tired and just about to make it ‘good enough’ so you can go home. its not just about reputation and repeat business, its about pride in your work, which is how you find happiness in it

deadkenny
    Free Member

YoKaiser – Member
    ‘Righty tighty, lefty loosey’, there’s a bit more to mechie fittin but no much

Careful if you’re a bike mechanic though and dealing with pedals or bottom brackets 😉

tangoman19
    Free Member

“Always draw back.”

“Get out of that f*cking office.”

“Never use the ‘Q’ word.”

“Just because someone gives you a piece of sh*t, it doesn’t mean you have to put it in your pocket.”

Psychiatric nurse…

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 132 total)

The topic ‘What's the best piece of work related advice you've ever been given?’ is closed to new replies.