Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Whats the best (high end) Smartphone money can buy?
  • MrNutt
    Free Member

So my rooted LG G3 is due for an upgrade on the 8th, whats the best possible thing?

My short list is:

LG V10 (not yet available)
    Sony Z5 Premium (seems to be all screen and little more)
    Iphone 6 bigger thing

What have I missed?

spacemonkey

Galaxy S6. Hands down the best smartphone according to several critics. I’ve had mine 2 weeks and am obligedoing to agree.

Drac

iPhone 6S the very thing that Samsung ripped off again, actually either of those as they are both very good.

molgrips
    Free Member

Galaxy S6 annoying in several ways – they made the back glass as slippery as possible 🙄

Works well enough though. Not compared it to other phones – discounted the Sony because no wireless charging and sharp corners making it harder to hold.

fd3chris
    Free Member

For me it’s the note range with the ability to write on the screen.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Vertu Signature Touch.

jimdubleyou

Don’t get anything with a glass back if you’re in any way clumsy.

nickjb
    Free Member

The sonys are especially fragile with poor back up fron Sony UK.

swedishmatt
    Free Member

If I could I’d go for a nexus 6p for about 440 gbp. Huawei mate 8 might come out soon too. Note 5 or note 4 in with a shot maybe. Note 5 not available in the UK yet.

I’d go for the nexus 6p.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

iPhone 6S the very thing that Samsung ripped off again, actually either of those as they are both very good.

The same iPhone that Apple are now paying Ericcson royalty payments on for ripping off their patents?

http://www.theverge.com/2015/12/21/10633084/apple-ericsson-patent-deal-iphone-ipad-revenue

Drac

Yes that’s them for using 4G.

PePPeR

I’m an LG fan, being budget minded I ended up with a G flex 2,its brilliant for £200 instead of the £400 for the Samsung or Apple offerings.

nickc

another vote for the nexus 6P.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Ex apple faan boiler here. Galaxy s6 user for the last 8 months, it’s phenomenal.

loddrik
    Free Member

I have an iPhone 6 plus now but I’ve had a couple of Galaxy S6’s and they are superb. Preferred the normal S6 to the Edge too as the edge screen added little other than glare and was a pain to hold.

molgrips
    Free Member

The other day I put Jango radio on via my phone, played a game for a bit and flipped to messenger to converse with someone interrupting the game. That was a proper modern phone multitasking moment. Phone didnt even blink. Even doing stuff like that I still finish the day with 50% battery.

simondbarnes

Couple of things I don’t like about the S6 – the physical home button and the camera not being flush with the rear. Oh and lack of a micro sd slot. Otherwise all good.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

I’m keen on that V10, or a G4 or an S6. Thats all I’d consider at the moment. That old MKBHD on youtube came up with this list:

Top Big Phones
    Samsung Note 5
    LG V10
    Also good: Nexus 6P, Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge+

Top Compact Phones
    iPhone 6s
    Sony Xperia Z5 compact

Best Camera
    Samsung Note 5
    LG V10
    Note: S6, S6 Edge, S6 Plus have Note 5 Camera
    Also Good: iPhone 6s, Nexus 6P

Best Budget Smartphones
    OnePlus X
    Moto X Pure
    Also Good: OnePlus 2, Nexus 5X

Best Battery
    Motorola DROID Maxx
    Nexus 6P
    Also Good: LGV10, G4

Most Improved Company
    Blackberry (Priv)

Design Award
    Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge+
    Also Good: Motorola DROID Turbo2 (Shatterproof), Sony Z5 Premium (4K Display)

Bust of the year
    HTC One A9

BEST PHONE OVERALL
    Nexus 6P
    Samsung Note 5
    Also Good: Moto X 2015, iPhone 6s, 6s+

simonlovell999
    Free Member

I’ve got a lg g4, really good for everything i put it through and i use it for most of the day. The battery lasts 1 day with high intensity of usage. Camera really good

rone

I just got a Moto Force X 5.4″. Lots of great specs and shatter proof screen. Good battery. Turbo charge. Water resistant to a degree.

Bang up to date vanilla Android too. Not too big either.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

my contract was up last week (nexus 5). i’m not bothering with a new phone at the moment, just gonna continue rolling on the airtime currently as for me there’s nothing available that’s significantly better than my N5 right now. i’d rather save the £15 a month instead.

chrisdw
    Free Member

Money no object… Note 5

But I just picked up an LG G4 for £270 from eBuyer which is a bit of a bargain compared to anything else with its spec.

Only had it a day, but seems brilliant so far.

dannybgoode

I have an LG G4 currently and it’s brilliant. I’m a big fan of the Xperia range also so either of them would get my vote.

Both can take sd cards and the G4 even goes as far as to have a removable battery.

chrisdw
    Free Member

I looked at the Nexus 6p, but look on youtube for the bend test.

It bends really, really easily. Looks like they’ve done something wrong with the design.

iamsporticus
    Free Member

I have a Galaxy S5

It takes an SD card and is waterproof

The Galaxy S6 may be “better” but does neither of the above

For these reasons I suspect when my contract is up I will go PAYG and keep it for the foreseeable future

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

For the love of god don’t buy the s6 and you guys with 1 it won’t last the 2 years. My first one lasted 16 days before it broke, it would freeze and crash then finally the camera started taking square pictures. It was exchanged for a brand new one. That one broke, common fault (the quick charge is right next to the gyroscope and melts when the phone overheats charging fast) I sent it off for repair. When I had it back I got 2000yards out of the shop before having another fault, it wouldn’t install apps, as I showed them in the shop it developed another fault, it wouldn’t hold a charge. Needless to say I lost it and was given this phone I choose the HTC One A8.
    The camera on the s6 is unreal. But the phone sucks and touchwiz is laggy and slow still. The HTC runs much smoother. The camera isn’t anywhere near as good on this but still good enough for me and believe it or not the screen on this is much better quality than the 4k z5 premium. (If anyone wants to call bullshit on any of these things they can compare like for like if you live near me). The HTC is very much a personal choice for me. The missus has the iPhone 6s and that seems to be a good all-rounder. I’d go with a Sony z5, HTC One a9 or an iPhone 6s depending on what you want out of your phone.

Galaxy Note 4 here – find having the pen really useful. Other than that, it just does everything it should

MrNutt
    Free Member

the idea of a phone with fancy curved glass sides fills me with fear as it sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

The Z5 from O2 is gold, which would clearly inform the world I am a ****. Also the 810 chipset over heats.

the lumina 950 xl looks nice but I think the tiles look messy.

I can’t be going back to iphone, android is just better.

Camera is a key need for me…. The Moto Droid turbo looks good but nowhere seems to have them

molgrips
    Free Member

Nothing is laggy on my S6

mrsfry
    Free Member

Long battery life and bomb proof. It’s all you need

molgrips
    Free Member

What a helpful comment. It really answers the OP.

loddrik
    Free Member

S6 light years ahead of the S5.

lovewookie

The S6 is a great phone. Have a few at my work. Fast and smooth.

(I also have a new 64GB version for sale)

MrOvershoot

After a rock solid S2 I upgraded to a very unreliable S4 and was almost put off going to the S6, but 7 months in its not missed a beat, its quick & the battery seems to last well for a modern smart phone.
    As others have said the camera is superb.

midlifecrashes

There isn’t one. Too many conflicting specs/preferences. If you want a smaller phone, the Sony Compacts are a good choice. If you want a tablet replacement, Note will suit. If you want people to know you spent a lot on your phone get Apple, big battery life, maybe Motorola. I’d rather do without features I’d never turn on like fingerprint readers, wireless charging and voice activation and have longer battery life and a good camera. All the flagship phones are amazing bits of kit though, we’ve come a long way from a big Nokia and a Psion5 in your rucksack.

Coyote
    Free Member

HTC One M9.

TiRed

Blackberry Passport – once it’s is running full Android 8) . I’m giving the Priv a miss, as I had a slider keyboard blackberry and it is a pain (mine is always password locked for work so I need to open it to type every time). My Q5 has been faultless for two years and is charged every other day. Too bad it can’t run Google Apps without side loading.

I’ve not been impressed with the longevity of Apple Products. Mrs’ Tired’s S4, however, is still doing sterling service for Teen 2, and this August it received a glowing review online at techradar! Her S5 has been also flawless. Teen 1 seems to get through iPhones like water. The Sony Xperia was prone to cable connection failures and not handled well on warranty (hence the S4!)

bigrich

Samsung modification of android is rubbish.

A 6p running unfettered marshmallow. Cheap, high end and ace.

Superficial
    Free Member

As a slight aside : had anyone gone from an iPhone to android? What did you think? Regretted it? Loved it? I’ve had various iPhones since 2008 and to be honest android phones confuse me with their different way of doing things. In some ways I fancy a change but in other ways I really can’t be bothered to make the effort to learn a new platform.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Been running the Nexus 6p for nearly a month now. Great, solid, good battery runs everything I need it to and still fits in my camelback.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Whats the best (high end) Smartphone money can buy?’ is closed to new replies.