Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • What's the best GPS tracker software for Android phone?
  • mikeconnor
    Free Member

So, my fancy new smartphone has GPS technology built in, that allows mapping and other impressive features. I’d ideally like something that replicates the Garmin device software; something that produces an overlay of my route, and which works with Google Earth. Is such a thing available? What are people using?

weeksy

Endomondo

Onzadog
    Free Member

Don’t know how it compares to others but I get by just fine with mytracks. Power consumption doesn’t seem too bad either.

chr15
    Free Member

Not so much hijacking as coming along for the ride… thanks Mike.

Any thoughts on whether endomondo is actually better than mytracks? And does strava do the same job or is it just for Willy waving racing your mates?

cheers,

Chris.

andytherocketeer

Mytracks sounds like the obvious choice. One of the few things that can share to G+ (afaik) and upload to gmaps, so I assume it also works with Google Earth. Export to Google docs seemed a bit odd, but may be useful to someone.

I tend to use endomondo though.

thehustler
    Free Member

endomondo and motion X are both pretty good

mikeconnor
    Free Member

So do these apps replicate something like the Garmin software? Is there corresponding software for the computer?

disco_stu
    Free Member

I used to use mytracks but have moved to Endomondo.
    There is nothing wrong with mytracks but I really like the website that Endomondo have out together –
    The stats and graphs are pretty to look at and appeal to my inner nerd
    I like the personal bests that update automatically
    Being able to compare your times to friends
    The challenges (11th in the STW Roadie Challenge at the moment) help keep you interested.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@mikeoconnor. The Endomondo website it good, lets you look at your route on map/google earth, everything is automatically uploaded. You can save the traces as GPX files and upload them into other apps like OS getamap etc. I noticed the latest App has improved the live mapping which is useful if you get a bit lost. Try it it’s free, nothing to loose.

EDIT as above stats are good but altitude gain/lost is rubbish and almost always overstated. This is due I think to GPS being inherently unreliable at instantaneous altitude – you get lots of little jumps up/down in the data, on a recent walk a I had rouge data point 400m in altitude out which threw the stats out massively

druidh
    Free Member

With Endomondo, it’s a website you view via the PC.

You can record your track with your phone and either have it automatically upload as you ride (but that uses battery power) or upload when you’ve finished.

The tracks are viewable via the Endomondo website, overlaid on a Google Earth background.

You can choose to share them automatically, or on an individual basis.

You can also control who sees your tracks.

mikeconnor
    Free Member

Endomondo seems to be web-based. i’m not that keen on sharing my personal movements with the rest of the world. I’d prefer something computer based really.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@mike – set everything to private, easy.

mikeconnor
    Free Member

I’d still like to avoid using anything web-based.

portlyone

MyTracks is a Google product IIRC. The routes are stored on the SD card and can be uploaded to Google easily (easy to share from their), though only if you want.

andytherocketeer

Not sure what Garmin s/w can do, and what you are trying to do.

For recording on the device, Mytracks lets you record only (no need to share online), and then save to SD. Then you need a way to get it from phone to PC (I use airdroid). In theory reverse might be possible (ie have a gpx on PC, copy it to phone’s SD card, import from SD into mytracks), but I’ve never tried this.

weeksy

The internet is not a big scary monster you know… you’re actually using it now 🙂

joemarshall
    Free Member

I’d still like to avoid using anything web-based.

Think they’re pretty much all web-based nowadays. However a lot of programs will let you export GPX files, meaning you can use whatever software you happen to have to analyse them.

The only real advantage of non web based things is that you can use them whilst you’re off the net if you take a laptop out places with you. Whilst online things might not be 100% secure, you surely trust the internet with far far more important data than how many bike rides you’ve been on – your email account for example. Something like endomondo with all the privacy settings on will be just as secure as (say) email – ie. you’re completely at the mercy of whoever operates the server as to whether it is secure, but it is very unlikely that anyone else will get your data.

After all, you are using the gps tracking software on a device that is constantly connected to the internet, you only have the word of the software maker that it isn’t uploading your every move to the whole world anyway.

portlyone

In theory reverse might be possible

It is, you can import.

mikeconnor
    Free Member

The internet is not a big scary monster you know… you’re actually using it now

You misunderstand why i want to use a computer based system. I want to have the files on my computer, rather than online, as then I don’t need to be online to view them.

What makes oyu think i’m scared of the internet?

weeksy

just the way you phrased it.

Why though ? what difference does it make ? i’m sure Endomondo will do that… i’ll go check.

druidh
    Free Member

You can import gpx files into Google Earth and there are many GPS programs that will let you record one (try GPS Essentials). Just connect your phone to your PC as a remote drive.

jeffl

My tracks is good. If you install Google earth on your phone you can get it to re-run your route from a birds-eye-view. Can also export to Google maps or export as a gpx file and plug into Google earth. I tried Endomondo and I liked the interval timings (which you don’t get in my tracks) but couldn’t be arsed to pay out for the pro version to get altitude/speed overlays on the phone.

Clong
    Free Member

If you want to replicate Garmin stuff, how about the Garmin Fit app? Its on android, not sure about iPhone though. It integrates with the Garmin connect site, uploading your ride automatically to Garmin connect. If your phone supports ANT+ (mostly Sony phones), it will work with the Garmin HRM and cadence sensors.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@mike, as others have said you don’t need to use the website. I do as the screen is bigger and it’s useful to download to OS Maps. Once you’ve downloaded the GPX file you can view it however you like on/off line. You can see a lot of info on the phone inc the mapping and stats

@jeffl – I only use the free one, I am going to buy the paid version as it’s such a useful app I feel I should give them at least a few quid for it.

cuberider
    Free Member

I use http://www.sportstracklive.com

Can separate Road / Mountain / Running / Hiking etc. Runs nicely.

No security function like Strava tho.

flatpat
    Free Member

Been using Maverick on the phone (free, or v. cheap in pro form) which shows OS maps. You can pre-download squares before you go out by browsing the righ area.

Tried the bikehike website recently to display routes – works for my purposes – see here.

Both these services are essentially free but perhaps more useful for mapping than training/performance monitoring purposes like Endomondo.

mikeconnor
    Free Member

thanks for the responses on here, very helpful. I’ve downloaded a couple of apps, and will see how they compare over the next week or tow.

Not having had such a fancy phone before, I’m finding the maps/GPS feature amazing. I particularlty love thepub finder feature; this is an essential which i need in life!

I’m not particularly bothered about ‘training’ as I just want to document my rides and see where I’ve been really. But do these apps make my Garmin Edge redundant, or is it good to have both?

druidh
    Free Member

If you already have a Garmin, then I’d continue to use that. Save the phone for, err, making phone calls. You never know when you might need that last bit of battery power that you just wasted recording your latest strava KOM 🙂

mikeconnor
    Free Member

Yes I suppose the Garmin is better as a ‘bike computer’ really. But it doesn’t do maps, or find nearby pubs!

geoffj

Ascent for the Mac

DoctorRad
    Free Member

For Android, have a look at Oruxmaps.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘What's the best GPS tracker software for Android phone?’ is closed to new replies.