Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What's the best ( cheapest ) option for gps tracking rides?
  • Zoolander
    Free Member

Anyone any thoughts on the best option for gps tracking rides?
    I’m only after a tracking function, so don’t need maps on screen or anything similar. I’ve tried using endomondo etc on the iPhone but its battery can’t cope with a decent ride.
    Really just after something you can turn on, throw in the rucksack, ride, turn off and upload the details to pc after. Is anything cheap but effective for this available?

druidh
    Free Member

The problem with the likes of Endomondo is that it wants to be doing a constant upload of your position. If you switch packet data off when you are using it, the battery will last much longer and you can just upload when you get home.

Having said that, I prefer to save my phone battery in case I need to use the phone. Any small, older model GPS will do what you want, a Garmin Etrex or Geko should be available 2nd hand now that more folk are getting into mapping.

Simon

I use one of these http://www.maplin.co.uk/gps-travel-tracker-227620
    They were only £20 when I got mine.

GrahamS

The problem with the likes of Endomondo is that it wants to be doing a constant upload of your position.

Plenty apps don’t tho. Could try MotionX GPS for instance.

Personally I don’t find the battery drain too bad on Endo. Roughly 8% an hour on my phone.
    If that isn’t long enough then you could stick the phone in a battery case like a Mophie.

Or maybe charge as you ride?

BikeCharge: Reach your destination with your phone fully charged

Zoolander
    Free Member

Seems a reasonable shout – cheers Simon.
    Good tip re turning data off as well druidh hadn’t thought of that, but like you say I think I prefer to have a phone for emergencies and not run its battery down

Zoolander
    Free Member

GrahamS
    Only managed to track 3 hours of a five hour ride yesterday, from a full battery on my 4s. Was supprised how quick it went tbh

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Runmeter?

GrahamS

3 hours?? That is very poor.

All other apps off and quit? Screen turned off?

You could also try turning off 3G, Wifi and Bluetooth on longer rides. Plus the Voice Coach feature if you don’t use it.
    (though I’ve never needed to go to these lengths on my iPhone 4).

Zoolander
    Free Member

Don’t think there were any other apps running but I’ll check next time out, I’ll also turn everything off bar the gps and see how it goes.

jam-bo

Garmin edge 200 can be had for about £70

I’ve had 6 hours from my iPhone 4, screen off, bluetooth and wifi off, 3G and data off.

Slow to get first fix but once it has works fine.

bazwadah
    Free Member

Maybe get an external battery back up? I have a Duracell one that charges from USB then connects to my phone (PPS2 model £15 if you shop around). apparently it can give 3 hours extension to talk time, dont know what it would provide for GPS tracking. If you plugged this in before starting your ride it could top up your phone as its in use.

Zoolander
    Free Member

External battery is in the cards – might get one of the mophie battery cases. and may get an old payg phone as a back up to sling in the rucksack just incase
    Cheers for all the info

zangolin
    Free Member

Seems very short battery life on the 4s. Just did a 3 hour road ride this morning using Endomondo to track the route. Used. 35% of my Sony Experia Arc’s battery from Fully charged. Endo is in normal mode and not powersave mode.

simmy
    Free Member

Garmin Fit on the App Store ( 69p when I bought it a while back ) and plug in charger in the both chucked in the Camelbak.

Get about 4 hours off a full charge, without the charger, and just carry the charger to top up.

Also downloads automatically to Garmin Connect so you can log in and keep track of your rides.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Garmin 200 is a really good buy at £70.

cozz
    Free Member

i use an iphone app, along with a “battery case” when phone batt gets low I flick the batt case to ON

will last about6-7 hours with screen on

take a charger, always help plugging it in at a pub stop for 30 mins – and a good excuse !!

Toasty

http://www.mobiles.co.uk/sony-ericsson-xperia-mini-white.html
    http://www.sonymobile.com/gb/products/phones/xperia-mini/

Little thing, £3.75 a month with enough data to keep Endomondo or Strava going.

Dimensions 88 x 52 x 16 mm

Supposedly (although I’ve not tested it), supports ANT+ for heart monitor support in Endomondo. Android 4.0 (ICS) is out now for them and working well, quite powerful for the cash. Not the same as the X10 Mini, this is a newer version.

TiRed

I’d third getting a Garmin Edge 200. Superb piece of kit. Has added to my cycling pleasure enormously, which is not typical of most new bits.

Clink

Ditto edge 200

fingz999
    Free Member

Go on eBay and put in gps logger that’s what I’m going for decided against a edge 200 as loggers are about 20-25 on eBay

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What's the best ( cheapest ) option for gps tracking rides?’ is closed to new replies.