What's the best cheap disc brake, and where's best to buy them?

Home Forum Bike Forum What's the best cheap disc brake, and where's best to buy them?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • What's the best cheap disc brake, and where's best to buy them?
  • yossarian

Deore all the way

Merlin have them at 75 odd quid for both excluding rotors

Job done 🙂

hilldodger

Hard to see beyond Deore really, if your current rotors are compatible then merlin have brakes for £77
    http://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-deore-m615-disc-brakes-front-rear-set-62194.html
    Or extra £20 if you need rotors
    http://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-deore-m615-disc-brakes-rt66-rotors-66248.html

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

The second hand, scratched but functionally perfect XT’s I bought. For £20. 8)

bol

If you’re offering Matt..?

Subscriber

Nope. They now live on my bike, and will stay there…
    I have some Juicy 3’s you can have for £20 though 😉

bol

My wife’s elderly Juicy 7s have just died, and I’m looking for a reliable, cheap replacement. I’ve been looking used, but there seem to be some pretty cheap new options. What’s the best thing to go for in the circa £50+ rotors bracket?

markshires

Ribble cycles are cheap at the minute, got some slx for about £85 other other day, I think deores were about £65ish and Xt were about £110 (of the top of my head) I know they were the cheapest I could find in this last week or so

Dickyboy

Deores are £30 an end at On One at the moment

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/BCSHIMDE/shimano-deore-br-m615-disc-brake-set-without-rotor

edit – sorry fronts only available 🙁

spooky_b329

Perhaps not the best, but the price, wow!

Clarks Exo Skeletal – £20 a pair with discs on CRC.

They are a little wooden and the lever reach screw is a bit sticky-outy-scratch-your-other-bikeys but still, £20! And the hoses aren’t that durable, try and squeeze one into a cable slot thats too small and the outer starts to seperate.

They’ve sold all the UK setup ones but you can get left-front-right-rear and just swap the hoses over.

bol

Thanks all. Deores £70 a set from CRC have it. They do look exceptional for the money.

gogg

Deores at £69 a set from my LBS

PJM1974

I know you’ve already decided on your brake, but I feel obliged to chip in with a ringing endorsement for Deores…utterly fantastic in my experience and there’s very little to fault them.

Hope that makes you feel a little better about your purchase!

Premier Icon johnnystorm
    Subscriber

Extra 10% off at Ribble email just dropped into my inbox with code TDF10 if that helps anyone else just tuning in….

bol

I did try my LBS first, but they, like most, can’t get close to CRC, Merlin etc on Shimano. Would have been nearly twice as much. I’ll be paying them to shorten the hoses mind you…

FunkyDunc

I’ll be paying them to shorten the hoses mind you…

There is no need to pay them it is so simple to do, and doesnt require any special tools.

There is a guide that has been linked to on here many a time that is simple and straight forward to follow.

I paid £69 for my Deores, a mate got them from CRC for £50 odd just a few weeks back when they had an extra 10% sale thing

Edit: http://www.epicbleedsolutions.com/blog/shorten-shimano-hoses-without-bleeding/

Premier Icon cheshirecat
    Subscriber

Another endorsement for the new Deore brakes – they seem excellent.

On bleeding – I followed the Epic instructions above for shortening the hoses, and they didn’t need bleeding. I did have an Epic bleeding kit to hand just in case.

devash

Deores +1

Not the best looking brakes out there but loads of pad clearance, will stop you dead with the slightest touch, and dirt cheap.

bol

I just got a 10% off Shimano email from CRC. Cancelled and re-placed my order, discovering an unused £5 off mystery discount in my account as I did so. New brakes now £57.98! Happy days.

Jamie

I was tempting to get some Deores, but the M395s, which I think are Acera, that came on my new bike are surprisingly good. Short of being a bit more refined, I doubt I would get much of an improvement making the switch.

….although, full set for £55 is tempting.

Bottom line is, I think all ‘low end’ Shimano hydros are amazeballs.

bol

I’m looking forward to comparing them with the XTR trails on my own bike. Doubting the shininess and minor weight saving will turn out to be worth five times the price. Haven’t used any of the adjustment since the day I set them up.

Subscriber

Bottom line is, I think all ‘low end’ Shimano hydros are amazeballs.

Premier Icon slackboy
    Subscriber

Ribble have SLX’s for £89 a pair at the moment, which is frankly the bargain of the year.

Or you could buy my second hand Elixir 3’s which are in the classified’s *ahem*

matther01

Picked up a pair of new deore m615 for £55 posted off pinkbike last week.

Premier Icon Ashy
    Subscriber

Just bought a set of the SLX brakes from there. TDF10 gives 10% off too.

Edit. “There” being Ribble

mikertroid

+1 for Deores. Have some 615s on one of my HTs and they’re great.

My old SLX 665s are nice stoppers too but prob not available anymore. Big fans of shimano brakes. Had a few sets and never had any issues with them.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘What's the best cheap disc brake, and where's best to buy them?’ is closed to new replies.