Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • What’s the 26″ tyre of choice
  • dirkpitt74

Looks like youngest will be moving to 26″ in the next couple/few months so need to start thinking of tyres.
    What’s the 26″ combo of choice?
    Mainly XC/Gravel type stuff with the occasional Trail Centre.
    Don’t want to be swapping tyres every few months so a good allrounder would be nice.
    I would have gone for the On-One Chunky Monkey & smorgasbord combo but doesn’t look like they’re available any more.

mildbore

Specialized still do decent 26″ tyres at a reasonable price. Maybe a Ground Control/Purgatory combo? They’re not as sticky as a soft Maxxis or Scwalbe, but are a perfectly usable tyre

willard

Pickings are getting slim. I picked up a couple each of Hans Dampf and Spec Butcher Grids before I left for Sweden and they have lasted me ok (have one of each in reserve), but finding quality tyres in 26″ is tough these days.

Conti used to do some good rubber in 26″.

tall_martin

26″ butchers, minions or dhr2 by choice on my 26″ bike

jam-bo

conti vert pro init?

bsims
    Free Member

Ardent 2.4F 2.25R – I use this on my 26in wheels
    Ground controls
    X kings
    Minion ss/ Rockrazor R

Some combination of the above would be spot on for stated usage

MoreCashThanDash

conti vert pro

That should be on the spine of the 20th anniversary mag 🤣

dirkpitt74

Thanks for the suggestions.
    Will have a look and see what I can get.
    Not a huge amount of stock anywhere at the moment though.

nparker

Merlin my go to for 26″ tyres. Nobby Nics, Hans Dampf and Magic Mary all showing in stock at the moment.

devash
    Free Member

Whichever’s in stock 😀

dirkpitt74

@nparker – had forgotten to check Merlin!
    Looks like a Hans Dampf & Nobby Nic combo is in order 👍

Klunk
    Free Member

racing ralphs

crab
    Free Member

WTB vigilante is pretty good, they’re quite heavy duty but not too bad weight wise, I prefer them to the various maxxis I’ve tried. I think these are still available.

midlifecrashes

Smoke/Dart ftw

superleggero
    Free Member

Kenda Small Block 8

squirrelking
    Free Member

Just put a pair of Ralph’s on my missus bike, I’m running Race Kings, and various Maxxis on mine.

bsims
    Free Member

Smoke/Dart ftw

Old school, Nice!

I ran those back in the 90s on my Raleigh Kalahari.

thebunk

Classic combo of Maxxis High Rollers on the front and Ardents on the back. Got some from Amazon of all places a few weeks ago.

gringo

I’ve got a decent condition Rock Razor sitting in the garage looking for a new home.

Waderider
    Free Member

I’d see if you can get some Tioga Farmer Johns Nephews. Failing that, Onza Rip (rear) and Rail (front). Do it for me.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

CST do a full range of 26″ tyres. BFT is their DHF alike tyre. They have treads similar to Bonty XR4 and others.

I haven’t tried any of them so don’t know if they are any good!

nickingsley
    Free Member

Assuming you can still get them, I bought a couple of Panaracer Cinders 2-3 yrs ago for £15-20ea. Top Bikeradar review in 2008 😊

milfordvet
    Free Member

I’ve found Continental XKings have surprisingly low rolling resistance for the grip offered. It’s a very good tyre for allround jack of all trades. A bit more speed with Raceking rear but not much. They do them in 26 and Protections. Supposed to have made them tubeless better now as well as 2.2 there’s now a 2.3 (the old 2.4?).

cookeaa

Have a look at Decathlon.

They have a few options including Hutchinson and Michelin as well as some of their own brand jobs. I scored some Tubeless Michelin off there a couple of weeks ago for my eldest.

I’d see what’s in stock in your local store rather than just what’s available on-line…

5lab

There’s a pair of one-ride-old fire xc in my garage that I need to sell. Lmk if you’re anywhere near Brighton..

kayla1
    Free Member

Conti Trail Kings for me ‘n him, they’re ace. They seem to grip and roll well- I have no idea how that works.

twonks

I’ve got a few if you get stuck, although they have probably seen some sealant from tubeless, so will require a bit of faff.

Think I have a Smoke and Dart 2 as well from my original GT Pantera that was given back to me when my dad could no longer ride it.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘What’s the 26″ tyre of choice’ is closed to new replies.