Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • What's open at Afan?
  • sonofapitch
    Free Member

Anyone been round this week?

turtleheading
    Free Member

Not sure, I’d be interested though, was thinking of popping in this weekend. Still yet to do WII

creamegg
    Free Member

Last week the last section of white level was diverted back up the hill past the bottom of the black run so you finish off doing the skyline descent.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    endurogangster
    Free Member

the cafe is open!

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Last week the last sections of white level was diverted back up the hill past the bottom of the black run so you finish off doing the skyline descent.

Isn’t it the last two sections – the old boardwalk run and the final descent – the diversion was at the end of the Energy section and means a chunky fireroad climb back to the top of the black run then over to meet the Skyline descent.

We rode the ‘July’ first – follow the signs for Skyline then take the ‘shortcut’ at the end of Granada.

wordnumb
    Free Member

They update their website with trail closures etc, usually up to date – http://www.afanforestpark.co.uk/default.aspx?page=6486

andeh

I went round last Thursday and there were some closures along the top of The Wall, boring fire road diversions in place. Never been before but I think it was just a traverse along the ridge.

Paulio
    Free Member

I was there last night and the track that runs along the valley (on the Neath side) and takes you to the start of the Wall climb is shut just after the turn off for the Afan visitor centre.

This is what is described in the important notice of the September 2012 update in the link above but if you don’t know the area then you may not realise that.

I went up to Glyncorrwg on the other side of the valley and did the Whites climb followed by the W2 link to get back to the Rhyslyn car park, so you just miss the Wall up to (I think) Piccadilly. Of the Wall decents, 373 is closed.

sonofapitch
    Free Member

Hoping to ride up Whites then across to the Wal decents.
    Then either Railwayman Inn or W2.

Paulio
    Free Member

Yeah, Whites climb then Windy Point and Wall decents (well, Graveyard and Zig-Zags) is what I did last night.

Carpediem
    Free Member

Yes, I was up there last night too. If you park on the left side of the valley for ‘The Wall’your diverted over to the right hand side and have to Cycle all the way up to Cymmer and then cross the bridge and back to the initial climb on The Wall. Top section (373 i think) is closed, but it’s not much of a section anyway.

Goodwood and ‘The darkside’ ( final two section on Whites descent are closed)

philwarren11
    Free Member

Skyline has loads of stuff shut, eastern part like south pit and excalibar, but a whole new section from the end of riding high back down to granada, not sure if its singletrack, think it is as its not marked as a fire road on the OS/google maps.

Its not 50/50 whether or not its worth parking in Glyncorwg or Afan for the Wall as the diversion takes you up the valley towards glyncorwg anyway, just means its a long boring route back when you finish.

All the closures are listed in that link above.

When everything is completed i think Afan is going to be awesome, updated Skyline, re-opened Penhydd, improved whites and the wall along with the newly opened family stuff.

fandango
    Free Member

Alpha and elevator are closed so, as has been said, there is a (boring) diversion to Cymmer in place. 373 also closed on Tuesday with a fire road diversion that took me to zig zag/final descent, missing graveyard entirely 🙁

Supposed to re-open at the start of next month.

nicksee
    Free Member

Does anyone know if the full jetlag skyline descent is open?! been looking at the map links on afan website but cant tell if its just the whites climb affected or both. this is making me think top part is being worked on 😕 Planning on doing the the shortened july skyline tomorrow en-route to brechfa. If not it’s cwmcarn 😉

sonofapitch
    Free Member

Is it possible to go up the Wal then across folys link to the top of White’s climb without doing the enery level.
    Energy is never worth the following climb after doing whites and the wal climb.
    Thinkng short cut to the skyline decent.

philwarren11
    Free Member

Go down the fire road to the bottom of the black run and back up the fireroad climb to catch the diversion over to skyline descent.

Not sure why you would want to miss out energy tho.

wrecker
    Free Member

You’d still have to do the same climb, just with a fireroad descent instead of energy.
    Either that or try to walk up windy ridge (I do NOT recommend this).

sonofapitch
    Free Member

Awesome! had me giggling to myself on Windy point and the graveyard.:)

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘What's open at Afan?’ is closed to new replies.