Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What's my problem?
  • andymc06
    Free Member

I have an issue with my 2010 Nomad (Alu). There is a noise coming from the bike which sounds like an old oil can. A kind of two stage clunk. It was occurring every time the drive side pedal was put under load at the top of the revolution. I checked the cranks and put new bushes and bearings in the pedals, cleaned the drive train. Seemed ok in the garden!

Next ride out i discovered it is still there. It was occurring whilst pedalling but also with pedals level whilst pumping the trail. There is also an occasional ‘bag of spanners’ loose metal noise from the rear. I think it is either some play in a linkage or my rear hub (superstar switch evo 6 months old), but everything feels tight. Bought the frame about 2 months ago and it had just had a new pro kit fitted by Stif (although the paperwork never materialised!!)

Any opinions or advice as to what the problem may be before I strip it all down?

Cheers

Andy

chrisdw
    Free Member

Check the rear hanger!

Surprising what noises can come from that if its a bit loose.

Edit… Also what’s your chain line like? My rubbish chain line wore through lower jockey wheel making the chain rub very slightly on the deraileur cage.

andymc06
    Free Member

Good shout. I haven’t checked that!

khani
    Free Member

Loose/worn pivots or shock bushing, if you use the saddle to lift the bike off the floor can you feel a clunk or play? If so its the shock bushing
    Otherwise turn the bike upside down, take the rear wheel off and unbolt the shock from the rear end and waggle the rear triangle around to feel for play in the pivots

rlt
    Free Member

Worn shock bushings?

andymc06
    Free Member

Zero play when picking up the bike by the seat post. I’ll un-bolt the shock when I get a chance.

bedfo
    Free Member

loose bb? check chainring bolts are tight. doesn’t sound like bushes/bearings on the back end as you’d not notice these when on the bike.

andymc06
    Free Member

Bb on the list and chainrings have been checked with cranks.

Thanks for the input so far guys.

andymc06
    Free Member

I have been over everything and all appears correct. I did find that the cassette has gouged the freehub. (XT on superstar switch evo). Could this be the root of the problem? If so, any remedy or is a new freehub required?

andymc06
    Free Member

Turns out it was the hollowtech 2 BB. Fitted a new one and it’s running perfectly.

Cheers

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘What's my problem?’ is closed to new replies.